PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning A aluminium Tiny

fishinwahbee
26-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a stacer 3.8m tiny for around the $400 mark. Theboat has been quiet badly neglected. My first priority would be to have the aluminiumon the outside cleaned. I have heard that some particular acid washes perform wonders.I need a cleaner which will make the boat look like new lol. There are alsomany holes which don’t affect the hull but just don’t look the part with my newcasting deck front/rear. The hull has 3 bench seats and I would like to takeout one of them, the back 1..... Any help would be highly appreciated. ThanksGuys.

banksmister
26-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Congratulations on the new rig but Just be careful, cleaning it may make it look like a new land rover [all shiny but with more bumps and ripples than a motocross track]

Good to see you have pride in your boat but sometimes alum looks ugly if its banged up and shinny

bennykenny
26-04-2012, 09:49 PM
you could always buff it with a bit of pig fat, might get it a bit shiny

eugah
26-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Buy a product called allubrite, comes in a 1 litre bottle & can get it at Bias. just put it in a spray bottle, spray it on then hose it off, looks like new.

Adrian

fat-buoy
27-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah there is a few different products you can use to bring the bling back... Just head over to either BCF or Whitworths and buy some stuff call Allubright, Starbright, Blitz etc.. should cost around $10 for a 1 litre bottle which is all you will need... either spray it on or use a sponge to put it on... give it a little bit of time (5 mins or so at each spot) and then give it a gentle rub while you hose it down..
I recommend that you put something like a plastic tarp over the trailer as best you can though as it is basically a mild acid you are putting on there and you don't want it to eat away at the gal of your trailer.

Also be very careful with your hands and eyes.. it is an acid remember and will hurt like a bugger if it gets in your eyes and will take the skin off your hands pretty quick too if you don't wear gloves..

The difference will be very noticeable... :)

Floating Rib
27-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Mate, only thing i found with the Alubrite cleaner was it left big streaks in the finish, i think this was because i tried to do too larger area at a time and didnt get and even covering of cleaner, experiment with a small area first.

Lancair
27-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Be VERY VERY carefull with Alibrite, Allubright, what ever its called on the package. The acid that works wonders on Aluminium is Hydroflouric acid, you wont feel it burn but it will, it gets into your system and weakens bones. Nasty stuff. Ive had a friend get poisoned by it, he was cleaning an ali ute tray with it. Not good.

Dont get it on your skin, in your eyes or breath its vapours. But it works great, just dont let it dry and be even with applying it, it can streak if allowed to sit too long or drys out.

fishinwahbee
27-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Cheers Guys. The product sounds very good! I might also need to plug some rivet holes from a removed bench seat... What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks Again

Chas & Clarry
27-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Cheers Guys. The product sounds very good! I might also need to plug some rivet holes from a removed bench seat... What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks Again

Mate be careful removing a seat...I'd be worried that it could be structural and would considerably weaken your boat...others with better knowledge will correct me if I am wrong I am sure

Axl
27-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Be VERY VERY carefull with Alibrite, Allubright, what ever its called on the package. The acid that works wonders on Aluminium is Hydroflouric acid, you wont feel it burn but it will, it gets into your system and weakens bones. Nasty stuff. Ive had a friend get poisoned by it, he was cleaning an ali ute tray with it. Not good.

Dont get it on your skin, in your eyes or breath its vapours. But it works great, just dont let it dry and be even with applying it, it can streak if allowed to sit too long or drys out.

Some very good advice here why bother putting a shine back on it it is only going to fad again just give it a good wash. Is it worth the risk of playing around with things like acids?

Mate be careful removing a seat...I'd be worried that it could be structural and would considerably weaken your boat...others with better knowledge will correct me if I am wrong I am sure

Again some very good advice the seat in question could well be structual and over time with the pounding it will/could get it may cause a failiure. I would be talking to Stacer before I removed the seat.

Tangles
27-04-2012, 09:22 PM
there was a bloke on here a few years back who polished his tinny to a very very shiny mirror finish,

PADDLES
27-04-2012, 09:29 PM
it's a $400 tinny, just hose it and she'll be ready for next time, stuff polishing it. i'd be suss on removing a thwart seat too.

bennykenny
27-04-2012, 10:50 PM
there was a bloke on here a few years back who polished his tinny to a very very shiny mirror finish,

yeah, that was with pig fat and a buffer.

Axl
27-04-2012, 11:02 PM

The glare and the sunburn would be horrendous:P.