PDA

View Full Version : Electric boat winch

Seahorse
26-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I got a 4.55 m seajay with 50 hp. I woould like to put electric winch on trailer.
I must be getting old.
What are the suggestions?

Cheers
Greg

HH565L
26-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I got a 4.55 m seajay with 50 hp. I woould like to put electric winch on trailer.
I must be getting old.
What are the suggestions?

Cheers
Greg

If it's a trailer winch you're after, have a look on Ebay. There are lots of suitable/low cost electric trailer winches there.

robo55
27-04-2012, 07:01 AM
HI SEAHORSE i have had an electric boat winch on for 6yrs $100 from supercheap and have had no problems it's 14 1/2 ft fibreglass ,i am able to get boat on trailer in wind with ease as i go out alone and had prior trouble on windy days getting on trailer on my own but now no problems and wouldn't be without one .doesn't mean your old it means getting boat on with ease .$100 what you got to lose so far 6yrs trouble free ROB

Humdinger
27-04-2012, 08:24 AM
hi seahorse i got electic winch 4000 lbs with wireless remote dyeema rope on ebay for $149 works well with mine . and i think i may be a little heavier than you
the wireless remote is great i can work it from the boat while the deckie is backing the trailer in

midcoast learner
27-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Make sure the winch has a handle in case you have a problem with it . I learnt the hard way having no handle when my winch died.

Sevric
27-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Although a little on the expensive side the power winch 315 with the accessory handle is the way to go. These are on special at Whitworths at present and work a treat.

Fed
27-04-2012, 10:53 AM
I've got a 315 Sevric and it didn't come with a handle, I chased it up & was told they don't supply them so I had to make one.

Another thing with the 315 is they are a bit flimsy compared to the 712s, the switch is only a crappy toggle switch and the socket & plug are pretty crappy too compared to the 712s.

I only bought it because my current boat is 17' glass and the more expensive 712 would have been slower & a big overkill. Plus of course the price.

It's never let me down (10 years) but I don't have the confidence in it as I had with the bigger model.

Perfect for solo retrieve because it lets you be in 2 places at once with the added benefit of not having to wind as well. This is my 3rd Powerwinch in 30 years (3 different boats)

pipifin
27-04-2012, 12:00 PM
You all are a bunch of lazy buggers......... Have to get me one this w/e :P

Sevric
27-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I've got a 315 Sevric and it didn't come with a handle, I chased it up & was told they don't supply them so I had to make one.

Another thing with the 315 is they are a bit flimsy compared to the 712s, the switch is only a crappy toggle switch and the socket & plug are pretty crappy too compared to the 712s.

I only bought it because my current boat is 17' glass and the more expensive 712 would have been slower & a big overkill. Plus of course the price.

It's never let me down (10 years) but I don't have the confidence in it as I had with the bigger model.

Perfect for solo retrieve because it lets you be in 2 places at once with the added benefit of not having to wind as well. This is my 3rd Powerwinch in 30 years (3 different boats)

Yeah i had to pay extra for the handle on the 315, it is a readily available part. This is another thing i like about the power winch series of winches; spare parts should they be needed are readily available. I, like seahorse have a small aluminium boat, mine only a 4.4 seajay so the 315 model is more than adequate for the task. No mater how you look at it, it sure beats the crap out of running up and down a slippery ramp on a windy day when you fish on your own as much as i do.

hakuna
27-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Drive it on to the trailer, easier than what you think

cheers

bf90
27-04-2012, 01:22 PM
power winch all the way I had a 912 on my trailer for about 2 months great little toy, took it off cause my boy just loves driving the boat on the trailer, so now I have $700 worth of winch sitting on the bench,

cheers guys ;)

johncar
27-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah I am a convert, a lot of benefits from a good electric winch, main one being Saving the trailer from submersion and up keep issues. I just use a 4x4 recovery winch with dyneema rope, nice quick and powerful. I power it from it's own battery on the drawbar.

Seahorse
29-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Looked up whit worth, I saw the 315 for $269. I then saw the one at super cheap for $99 and everything looked the same. The ones on eBay are same ones buti thought if something goes wrong then pain in butt to take back. Think I will just go with the super cheap one, and see what happens. It has a handle incase it shits itself.
I guess I could just break into the power wires on the trailer lights plug on car, and then put on a separate plug for the winch power cable to plug into.
Any other easier suggestions.

Cheers
Greg

Fed
29-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Just check the retrieve speed on the supercheap one Seahorse you might find they are very slow compared to the 315.
That's a good price for the 315 I'm sure I paid more than $400 about 10 years ago.
The 315 will come with a socket, cables & a circuit breaker to run to the car's battery.
I know I sort of bagged the 315 but they really are pretty good.
(Long after you've forgotten the price you will remember the quality)

Seahorse
29-04-2012, 10:02 AM
It is a hard decision. I will check the retrieve rate fed. I normally don't buy cheap. Usually go the quality but everything just appeared to be same.

Cheers
Greg

Stewey
29-04-2012, 10:46 AM
I have just thrown out a "cheap" supercheap winch. This lasted 18 monthe on my trailer before packing it in. Their retrieve rate did seem quite slow. I have just bought a Trex 5000lb winch from fleabay. Have only used it twice but seems to be a big improvement. I have changed the wire rope to a spectra also. I am also in the process of converting this from a wired remote to a wireless set up. Time will tell how long thiw winch will last, but the internals etc seem to be a lot better and tougher than the supercheap winch.

Hope this helps.

regards

Stewey

charleville
29-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I had a powerwinch 315 on my boat but managed to bugger it through my own stupidity when giving it a bit of maintenance and misplacing a circlip on a shaft.

Anyway, that was not so bad for me as I always found the noise that the Powerwinch made to be a bit excessive, especially at a ramp after midnight. So I started using the manual winch again and it became my preferred option because I usually undo the detent and wind the handle with no noise at all until I reconnect the detent at the last couple of winds.

The Powerwinch was great in my early days with the boat when I was not so adept at winding on the boat in a stiff side breeze on my own. A bit of practice fixed that.

I wonder if all electric trailer winches are as noisy as my Powerwinch was.

Fed
29-04-2012, 11:23 AM
+1 charleville, the very first thing I noticed with mine was the noise compared to the 712s I was used to, so much so that I pulled the covers off and added some grease to the gears which didn't help at all.

On the upside though it just keeps going & going so I can't complain.

Sevric
29-04-2012, 11:35 AM
It is a hard decision. I will check the retrieve rate fed. I normally don't buy cheap. Usually go the quality but everything just appeared to be same.

Cheers
Greg

I had one of the $99 winches on my 4.4m tinny and it worked fine for a time. Gradually i noticed it started to struggle a little so i made sure the rollers were all working as they should but still it sounded as though it was struggling. I went the 315 power winch to avoid a future big problem. When choosing a winch there seems to be 2 different types. One that looks like a power retrieve winch on a 4x4 and the other a more traditional boat winch with a clutch on one side. Both work OK. The traditional types are easier to launch and retrieve with as the others you have to power out the cable to launch the boat till the hook can be released from the boat. To do this the power cables and switches all have to be connected which is a bit of a pain. With the traditional types all you do is release the clutch and your are away. The 315 has no powered remote wire and switch to rust but rather a piece of cord that goes back to a toggle switch which has proved very simple and effective. It does not rust and if it is broken or stolen you can still retrieve the boat by simply activating the switch. No such luck with a broken or rusted switch on a long cable to reach the back of the boat. Many also offer remote devises these days, expensive but good.

Corry
29-04-2012, 11:08 PM
I"ve been looking at one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260909491329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

Anyone got one, what's ya thoughts. Like the idea of synthetic rope, like the idea of remote control, have no idea what the internals are like, and there isn't an option if something goes wrong. I've contemplated seeing if it can be mounted so that the original hand winch can be kept, but haven't fully thought that through yet.

Cheers
Corry

Seahorse
30-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Corey, I saw them. I like u don't know what u would do if it failed.
I also thought how can I keep my old winch there, in case of breakdown.

Maybe someone has some ideas

Cheers
Greg

bugsytwoshoes
30-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I bought a powered winch very similar to yours Corry and it is great I have installed it in my carport and use it to winch my boat/trailer up my steep driveway. It has remote control it's fairly quick and very quite. I dont think it would be a major problem to mount on a boat trailer either. I am a linesman by trade and we use a hand winch/puller called a lugall to pull up heavy cable onto power poles they are light and easy to use and will pull two ton, if your electric winch broke down seahorse you could wrap a sling around the winch post and pull the boat in with the lugall.