PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell HRC6

ozscott
26-04-2012, 07:38 AM
G'Day all - as most of you will know Maxwell have been making excellent winches in Australia for decades. I am looking to get a new anchor windlass and had been investigating Lewmar mainly due to that brand's good value for money in the 700 pro (or pro fish - free fall). Maxwell has always been high end with cost to match. I had a look on their site just to see what was what the go was and was surprised to find they do a HRC6-7 which appears to be a very tidy bit of kit and the price is aimed it seems at Lewmar and similar for the trailer boat fishing market. I think for the price they must have gone OS for the motor and/or construction. I have emailed them about that.

Has anyone got any experience or investigated say the HRC6/7 (and versus the Lewmar Pro 700/Pro Fish 700)?

I am thinking that the Maxwell might be the better winch even though its warranty is 3 years v 5 for the Lewmar.

Cheers

ozscott
26-04-2012, 07:50 AM
PS. Maxwell, on my understanding, have always published accurate figures (with some magazines noting that if anything their winches perform better than their own published data). So the HRC6 uses a 400w motor and 270kg max line pull, but Lewmar say their 700 is 320kg and a 500w motor. BUT the HRC6 is 3kg heavier! How does that work...,must be in motor weight and construction...

Cheers

Chimo
26-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi Oz

Have you considered these or similar as a simpler way to go? http://www.############.com.au/product_details.php?ProductID=1491

C
C

PS try this one notkeos http://www.muir.com.au/inline-vertical-capstan-800.html

HH565L
26-04-2012, 12:21 PM
PS. Maxwell, on my understanding, have always published accurate figures (with some magazines noting that if anything their winches perform better than their own published data). So the HRC6 uses a 400w motor and 270kg max line pull, but Lewmar say their 700 is 320kg and a 500w motor. BUT the HRC6 is 3kg heavier! How does that work...,must be in motor weight and construction...

Cheers

Max pull is influenced by 4 factors. Motor rating (Watts), Motor Speed (RPM), Gearbox Reduction Ratio and Gypsy diameter. Reduction gearboxes act to increase the torque output from the motor whilst reducing drive speed. A huge reduction provides bulk torque but will cause the winch to operate slowly, therefore it's important to match all components and find the right balance.

Weight of the winch is influenced by the frame size and quality of the motor, the size of the gearbox (GB size also influences holding power) and the materials used to manufacture it, Of course the materials used to construct the winch housing also play a significant role.

Hope that helps.

rhodesey
28-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I have just fitted a Maxwell HRC6 it has worked very well so far.
Interesting I spoke to Maxwell about the unit and was informed by them that the motor was the same motor used in the HRC8 a 600 watt unit.
Check out the price for one at BOE Marine in the states you will be surprised.

ozscott
11-08-2012, 08:57 AM
As a follow up this new HRC 6 with the HRC 8, 600W motor is a beast. Fantastic bit of kit. Its a very angry winch that really treats the weight of the 16p mason plough, chain and rope with contempt. I had another thread going about wire size and it is clear that even with extended use the wire size is right for the motor. Cheers!!

MyWay
11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I've got 11 years old maxwell on my boat , good as gold never missed one bit
I only lost 2 anchors and 20m of chain and few meters of rope so far ,but winch is good and
strong as an ox

ozscott
11-08-2012, 09:29 PM
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w409/landroverphile/20120729_150023.jpg

Chimo
12-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Hi Oz

Mean looking bit of gear; I'm almost of a mind to suggest you might need a bigger boat to put it on.

There are the odd, old, bigger Seafarer still around!!!

Cheers
Chimo

Catweb
12-08-2012, 07:40 AM
My HRC6 has been on my little 4.9 Webster for near on 3 years now. Does a great job. A freefall winch would be even better though.

ozscott
12-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey CHimo - you mean an old Voyager? Had looked at them, but a bit big and bulky for me...I like JUST being able to sneak in with override mechanical brakes..;D

Catweb - mate this new version is a freefall or manual fall depending on what you choose. See that little stainless lever on the side in the photo - flip that up and the clutch packs get activated (way way better engineered than the cheap chinese freefall on had on there before) and the winch will allow freefall activation from the helm control (up/down button) - and you can even pulse the helm button to speed up or slow down the rate of freefall (pretty cool hey). Once you hit the up button the clutches go to work and engage drive and up she comes. Or you can do like I am and power down (very quick really) - because in reality the winch will never wear out powering out. On occasions I will probably use freefall, especially with fast flowing currents and wanting to anchor exactly in a particular position.

Cheers

ozscott
12-08-2012, 10:04 AM
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w409/landroverphile/20120729_150108.jpg

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w409/landroverphile/20120729_150039.jpg

Chimo
12-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi

Interesting bow mold up to the hatch, never noticed that before. Right angles on the sides must have been a bugger to lay up too. Do you get water under the lip of the hatch, looks looks like a shovel shape especially with your new line cutters / cum anchor roller support.

Hows the new motor and transom doing?

What sort of $s for the HRC6 if I may ask? (PM if you wish)

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
12-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi Chimo - mate it never gets water under the hatch even copping a few big green ones over the front and with water running (not spraying) up my windscreen and into the open clears - it has a lip of about 8mm under the front and sides of that hatch cover so it keeps it all out - good design. The stainless bits I added not long after I got it - knurled at the sides where they meet the roller bow sprit - keeps the sprit in place nicely and looks ok to.

Mate the motor is fantastic. I love it! Its a 99/00 model but it looks, starts and goes like a new one. The extra transom height and motor height is nice too. The boys did a great job with the transom (Moreton Bay Boat Doctors). I posted in the electronics forum about the sounder - had to move the transducer to the old position (pre new transom) and it works well right through to 63kph top speed now.

Windlass was just under 1k...great special online and I went and picked it up...if you want to know the place I cam pm you.

Cheers mate

ozscott
12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w409/landroverphile/0c81e24c.jpg

Chimo
12-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I like the electro fishing set up.
C
C

ozscott
12-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I like the electro fishing set up.
C
C

HaHa! Yep mate its all a bit silly now, electric/hydraulic tabs; remote control spotty (great bit of kit that!); electric windlass and leccy trailer winch. It wasnt born out of being lazy, but just because I was taking young kids out and I had to manage it all myself - at night that spotty was a boon.
Cheers

Chimo
12-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I talking about the things either side of the keel............

The other stuff you probably need as age creeps up.........

ozscott
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Haha...yep they are Bennett sport tabs I fitted not long after I bought the boat. Easy to for me to fit and never had a hydraulic leak or any probs.

Cheers

Chimo
12-08-2012, 02:54 PM
The things between the bungs?

ozscott
12-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Underwater squid lights in blue. Cheers