PDA

View Full Version : importing an outboard?

trueblue
25-04-2012, 10:17 PM
anyone imported an outboard from the US?

any lessons / suggestions / options?

wrxhoon
25-04-2012, 11:32 PM
If you are looking at new motor, check prices in AU and compare , you will find Mercs optis are cheaper here right now, Suzis are about the same , Yammies a lot dearer and verados a good bit dearer here, no idea on Hondas.
When I compared prices a few weeks ago , I didn't include shipping from USA to AU ( I was getting it free) . The prices quoted there are just for the engine, no rigging , no prop, no gauges . Example 250 Opti 25" leg , cheapest i could get in USA was $14500 plus shipping to the location I wanted ( around $300-400), smartcraft gauges and loom $800, rigging kit ( top mount binacle, control ,cables, oil tank) $1000 , enertia prop $450= $17150 plus 10% GST = $18850 .
Thats US$ at 1.03 =18300.
I ordered one here for $19000 including fitting ($850) and all the above .
If you are looking at used, much bigger market there so cheaper but lots of risk buying unseen.

leezor
27-04-2012, 09:54 PM
If you are looking at new motor, check prices in AU and compare , you will find Mercs optis are cheaper here right now, Suzis are about the same , Yammies a lot dearer and verados a good bit dearer here, no idea on Hondas.
When I compared prices a few weeks ago , I didn't include shipping from USA to AU ( I was getting it free) . The prices quoted there are just for the engine, no rigging , no prop, no gauges . Example 250 Opti 25" leg , cheapest i could get in USA was $14500 plus shipping to the location I wanted ( around $300-400), smartcraft gauges and loom $800, rigging kit ( top mount binacle, control ,cables, oil tank) $1000 , enertia prop $450= $17150 plus 10% GST = $18850 .
Thats US$ at 1.03 =18300.
I ordered one here for $19000 including fitting ($850) and all the above .
If you are looking at used, much bigger market there so cheaper but lots of risk buying unseen.

Have been considering bringing in a 300 or 350 Verado as I was quoted $37k for the 350 here. You say Optis are cheaper over here at the moment, where did you buy yours if you don't min me asking, may be worth enquiring about the Veardo?

ranga7
28-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Ive got a 175 4st suzuki on its way from the U.S, when alls said and done and its on my boat i saved $5000

wrxhoon
30-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Verados are a little cheaper in USA as are yammies , I was only looking at 250 hp, when I compared like for like the Verado was about $4 k cheaper there , I don't know about the 300 or 350 though.
If you want a 250 Optimax I can you one for $18400 ( not fitted) but including rigging , S/S prop ( mirage or pay extra $55 for vensure or enertia) and smartcarft gauges. This is in Sydney so you have to pay extra for shipping to NQ. This deal finishes the end of the week, after that it will be $2000 extra.
If you want to know more pm or email : wrxhoon@yahoo.com.

A few years ago it was different, in 2008 I bought a brand new 200 opti in USA for us $10 ( AU$ was US.95 then) including rigging and prop. at the time is was $19 k here . Whats more I got the warranty in Australia as well , you can't get that now .

trueblue
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I got a quote from the US as well as for shipping all of which sounded really good compared to what I have been quoted in Australia.

How do we calculate what it will cost to clear customs. Is it just 10% GST or is there duty applicable as well?

cheers

wrxhoon
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
That will depend on the brand, if its made in USA no duty just 10% GST . I hope you have allowed for post charges in Auatralia as well.

In my case I was getting all that free, free shipping and no port charges , I was going to put the outboard in the boat .
Still cheaper to buy here .

Make sure you compare apples with apples, not motor only in USA and full rigging , gauges and prop here.

Don't just get one quote here , shop around.

Muddy Toes
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I went through this not long ago when I was looking to buy my Yamaha F300.I ended up taking the advice of a few people off here and just haggled with local dealers that are doing it tough at the moment.
Some were going to do the deal for just the fit up cost, some for cost plus 5% and one was even going to do it for just the Yamaha rebate they get as the dealer(1.5% in 3 months time).
I shopped around overseas and did all the sums but at the end of the day I was surprised when I could get it for the same price here as overseas.The dealer that I bought it off ended up coming down nearly $6,000 to make the deal.
I'm by no means against buying offshore in fact I'm usually the one copping flack for doing so all I'm saying is that when I calculated the cost of the engine, gst, shipping, duty, insurance, rigging, gauges and fit up the prices were pretty comparable.....and because I bought here I've got my warranty.

LoungeLizard
02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Suzis are about the same

Really? When I was looking at a DF175 a month or two ago, imported from the states including all rigging, controls, gauges, GST, delivered to Brissy was still significantly cheaper than local dealers I called. If I recall it was $17K vs $23K. I didn't really shop that hard, just called a few dealers and got prices.

FisHard
02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Really? When I was looking at a DF175 a month or two ago, imported from the states including all rigging, controls, gauges, GST, delivered to Brissy was still significantly cheaper than local dealers I called. If I recall it was $17K vs $23K. I didn't really shop that hard, just called a few dealers and got prices.
Mate, if you scratch a bit harder, you'd do a lot better than that on a local 175 Suzi! You could probably get a 225 locally for $23k. To justify going without warranty, I would want to save at least 4-5 grand. If you can do that, its a worthy risk- IMO :)

LoungeLizard
02-05-2012, 07:49 PM
So what's a good deal on a DF175 nowadays? Under $20K fitted would get my attention.

wrxhoon
02-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't know about the 175 but when I priced a 250 a few weeks ago, I could have got one fitted for $22k, I could probably sqeeze another $500 or so of that.

The only way you will save buying in USA on a Suzi, Opti or Etec is if you find old stock ( last years or even 2010) and you have to get it deliverd free or very close to free.

I have to say Yammies are much cheaper there . 250 Yammie is $17 k + rigging and prop.
300 Vrod is under $18 k at Jackos I don't know what it is here but a was quoted $25 k fitted for a 250.
175 Zuk is $10800 at Eds by the time you add rigging , shipping, import duty @5% and GST @ 10%, I don't know if it will be worth it . I'm sure if you shop around you can get it fitted for under $18 k.
Lizard don't forget to add local port charges to shipping quote.

Ausfish
03-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Have a look at the UK instead of the US. You will get warranty as well.
http://www.outboards-direct.co.uk/home.html

Have a look at Ireland or the UK when importing some items, a lot cheaper than the US at times.

doublexl
10-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Have a look at the UK instead of the US. You will get warranty as well.
http://www.outboards-direct.co.uk/home.html

Have a look at Ireland or the UK when importing some items, a lot cheaper than the US at times.

I sent these guys an email a bit over a week ago and havn't had a reply.

timeout
10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
don't forget to check on import duty because it is over $1000.oo

Chang Jiang
10-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Gents correct me if I am wrong , if the motor from Over seas is supplied with a boat you will get the 3 years international warranty, if the motor is supplied without a boat there is no warranty it does not matter which country the motor comes from. As of january this year this was cottect for Etec, yamaha and Merc.