PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to 1770/fitzroy

outta line
25-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Have been trying to get up and fish Fitzroy and surroundings for almost a year. So with the awesome forecast for a couple of days over the weekend and anzac day mid week decided to take a extended weekend.

I'll start by saying this trip wasn't going to happen due to my deckie being bed ridden with tonsillitis at the start of the week. Got a call from him on Friday morning saying he was felling a bit better and was keen to go. With that I downed tools and went home to pack the boat..left home at 3 30 pm fueled the car and hit the highway just in time for peak hour. Survived the traffic and got 130km into the trip and the right rear tyre of the trailer decides to blow....not fun travelling down hill at 90kmh with 2t of boat on the back was lucky enough to have room to pull off highway to fit the spare in the dark and on our way again. Made it into Agnes with no more hiccups, think ill be getting a 2nd spare for long trips now. Had a mate staying with freinds in a house so we got a couch to have a few hours kip on and up at 5am to hitting the water around 6.30.

Out through the bar and on our way to Fitzroy sitting on 4000rpm at 50kmh........yahooooooo......forecast was spot on. Headed between Fitzroy and Llwellyn out past the green zone and started sounding around got a couple of fish and third fish of the trip hits the surface after putting up a decent fight for my mate and its a red at 58cm so onto ice it goes. His first red so he was stoked as was I.

Moved around a bit for a few more fish, found a bump, dropped the big bait and whack zzzzzzzzz this has to be a .....red..... hard hitting with big head shakes I've only caught a 50cm red before so didn't want to lose my first legal red. After a massive fight for freedom my big red is netted and high fives again ......man what a thrill! I've caught big fish before but this is one I wont forget and am hooked on red fishing now that thrill will keep me coming back and wanting more.

Headed back to Fitzroy for the arvo and into the lagoon around 4.30pm for a swim and nights rest. Wow what a magic place and in glassed out conditions an added bonus. Had a good night sleep, up at 5.30 had a swim and breaky and was hard to leave the lagoon at around 7 glassed out again and a solid 1.5m e swell. Headed nne for the day fishing and a lot of moving and sounding getting a feel for the place with perfect sea conditions for searching without burning alot of fuel. Found another nice red for my mate and some horse PP, RTE, parrot and cod making their way into the box. With the wind blowing 10-15 knt headed back into the lagoon before sun set . Wind was up early monday morning and my mate buggered from still being sick decided to head home a day early so we fished the area west of Fitzroy for another red for my mate (undersize 52cm), some big bust ups and a massive chinaman. Wind was a solid 15-20knt now, so long punch home wasn't going to be fun ......back to ramp and then into Agnes to get a tyre fitted for the trip home.

Cant wait to get back up there again asap :D
cheers mick7934179342793437934479345

bigjimg
25-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Okay thats it i've read enough.Have got too get up there myself and have a crack.Thanks for report,is always a good read these 1770 trips.Well done.Jim

Gazza.Boyne
25-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Awesome trip OutaLine,
Some nice fish there, good to see you get a couple of reds in amongst those fish. Bet you can't wait to get up there again soon.
The weather certainly was good. Did an overnighter out from Boyne Island on Saturday night, we had perfect conditions and got some nice fish. Will put up a post soon.
Cheers Gazza

terry71
25-04-2012, 10:02 PM
well done Outta Line good to see some nice fish thanks for the report

lightsout76
26-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Hey Mick,

Love the pics there mate, glad the weather played the game for ya finally. First trip and ya snagged the Red ones straight up aye, i'm very jealous now and even more pissed that i didn't head up!>:(

My mates that went up did pretty good too, they came home with a good feed, no real monsters but some pretty good fish otherwise, RTE, Trout, Parrot and the usual Hussar.

Good to see you got some good fish there mate and you'd have the Red bug now for sure!!

Cheers,
Leon.

BigAl1071
26-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Hey Mick, Great fish - they certainly get you hooked - all i have been thinking about for the last few days is WHEN CAN I GO AGAIN. Sunset in the reef with a beer and quick swim is just unbelievable.

Great Work

Al

outta line
26-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Leon......Had a crackker trip shame you couldnt make it ......good to hear your mates did all right too..... we didnt fish big days or after sun set- sun up .... as my mate was buggerd and had no energy....when we finally get there together i'd be keen to give the dark a go .. we caught a load of hussar but only kept a few... tried to chase trout monday morning but the wind was up didnt get a trout all trip ..didnt fish with liveys tho ...there will be a next time ....... asap
ill give you a ring on friday arvo
mick

XtremeBoony
26-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Awesome report mate and looks like that red of yours would have cracked double figures ;D
Definitely a piece of paradise out around fitzroy and thanks for the report

Cheers from boony

vertico
26-04-2012, 06:41 AM
reds seem to be thick up there atm,
was that big red taken on a PEtackle fly ?
if so can you email me the pic to PEtackle@gmail.com
thanks again for the report some top fish

Sean

thelump
26-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Great report Mick and some good fish there too. Where is that cracking right hander in the photos mate?

No Fear
26-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Hey Mick,

Awesome stuff!!! I always enjoy reading reports about first trips and when they ahve a bit of success. As you now know, its a big trip up from Brissie and it takes plenty of work and there can be times when the fishing is slow (very rarely). The good thing about 1770 though is if you spend time out on the water, looking for new ground, you will find the big reds.

Great effort and thanks for the report.

outwide1
26-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Good report Mick!!
A beautiful part of the country that place,along way to go for a fish but worth it once your there.
I found it abit daunting cruizing around with all these exposed reefs everywhere at first compared to being off Double Island
where you having nothing to worry about crashing into.
Some top fish there for your first trip Mick.
Where were the waves breaking in that shot?
And that lagoon at night is awesome,i wish Double Island had something similiar besides having to go all the way back to the beach.
The one thing i have found up there to score good quality fish is to get away from the main reef areas and to also look in the deeper areas,65-70 mtr not to mention the quality fish to be had in the 90-100mtr country.
Well done Mick.
Cheers Mick

lightsout76
26-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah awesome to hear Mick, you did well for the effort that's for sure and good to see the PE flies came through for ya!

Talk friday,
Leon.

outta line
26-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Boony......went 11kg mate on the lie detector not bad for my first legal red hey ;D;D;D;D...now i have to upgrade to a bigger model ...lol...cheers mick

Sean....yes its one of your flies ....ill email it to you when i get a chance......any chance you wana replace it for me as a fish stole it the next day....;);););)

Macca...... thats the swell on the east side of fitzroy you could feel it in the lagoon at high tide....did seen a boat with 3 surf boards strapped to the bow so reef must get surfed out there....cheers mick

Mick.....absolutely magic up there you soon forget about the drive up when you hit the water.... think ill head to musgrave next time iam up that way ....mite look at fishing off double island on may day long weekend .....the surf on the easten side of fitzroy.......cheers mick

webby nq
27-04-2012, 09:38 PM
What a trip hey mate, nothing beats the power of a 10+kg red head shaking all the way up from the deep. Sounds like theres some good country down that way too, may have to venture down that way one day
Webster

Lancair
28-04-2012, 08:57 AM
What an awesome trip and awesome fish.
Ive had enough of reading about these 1770 trips. Time to put some wheels in motion and get there myself.

Lucky 1
01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Hey Mick

Well done mate, good to see you finally made it. I cant say I am not Jealous!

Good skills in covering the ground and finding the fish on your 1st trip. Definitely justifies the change of avatar!

Let me know again next time you head up.

Cheers,

Lucky

hallcomp01
03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Nice effort, I love that area. Great report.. Curious about how much fuel you had and if you got sharked much? I was there about 5 weeks back but had enough when it was gusting to 30 knots. :/

outta line
04-05-2012, 06:02 AM
hey hallcomp......dont have a real big tank for a 6m boat its 180L as i have a 60l fresh water tank under floor as well. took 5 jerries so another 110L all up had 290L but next trip i will carry at least another 20/40 L of fuel. I stick to the 1L - 1km as rule of thumb offshore. we were lucky to have good weather for the run out there and the 2nd day but was blowing a good 20 knots for the punch home.

only got sharked twice... did get busted up a few times by fish tho... we didn't stay in one spot for too long moved around a bit getting a feel for the place... may be a re drift on the better spots we came across..
cheers mick

Good_as_Gold
05-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Great report mate
What was the surf like on the reef with the swell and no wind?

Lucky_Phill
05-05-2012, 12:09 PM
What an awesome trip and awesome fish.
Ive had enough of reading about these 1770 trips. Time to put some wheels in motion and get there myself.

many other Ausfishers going in September.

have a squizz here :-

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?178876-Agnes-Water-1770-M-amp-G.-2012-Dates.-14th-Sept

cheers LP