PDA

View Full Version : Virtues of Center Console in 4.1m Polycraft??

Splash
25-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Pros and cons for this setup?

Splash

Chas & Clarry
25-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Feels like we have had this conversation before...

but I vote side console first preference, centre console second and tiller third...CC and SC are more comfy and better vision than tiller, but SC is less intrusive on fishing space in a small boat than CC IMO having recently changed from CC to SC

Tim

Splash
25-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks Tim :-)

.... really curious as to why you put tiller last in these options...

SPlash

Linedropper
25-04-2012, 07:19 PM
1. Tiller

2. SC

3. CC

Small boat minimal deck space.

Chas & Clarry
25-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks Tim :-)

.... really curious as to why you put tiller last in these options...

SPlash

Hey Splash, I have to say that I have been watching your various threads and numerous questions about how to set up your boat and have been amazed at your capacity to come up with a new question for every situation...now don't get me wrong, I am not having a go at you :), the answers that you have received have often identified issues that I would never have thought of, and I have learned a heap reading the threads and the answers to your questions.

One of the things I have learned in that process is that a number of anglers strongly prefer tiller steering (even though I hated it when I had it).

My reasons are the same as when I answered your earlier thread titled "Internal Layout for 4.1m poly (SC, CC or Open)" http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?181797-Internal-Layout-for-4.1m-Poly-(SC-CC-or-Open)/page2

ie:

Re: Internal Layout for 4.1m Poly (SC, CC or Open)
Haven't had a polly and haven't been to NT but have had open tinnys (4.2 and 4.3m) in 3 layouts (tiller, forward control and centre consol) and am in the process of buying a new one (4.2) with side console

of the 3 I have already had my preference was without doubt the Centre Console due to comfort, vision and stability one up. However the down side is the relatively minor disruption to ease of movement / loss of useable space around the boat.

I have decided to go the side console in a very stable new boat as I expect more comfort (seat) and less disruption to movement no loss of visibility or stability.

I really disliked the tiller stear due to poor visibility and poor control during excelleration and especially in rough water or crowded conditions when planing was not an option (visibility on the plane was OK of course). Also in tiller stear the decky tended to be used as ballast and sit way up the front with a very rough ride for her...(not good for the marriage if the "decky" was Trace...or her dad for that matter )

Tim

At that time I hadn't experienced the SC as my new boat hadn't arrived. I can update that situation as I have had the new one for a couple of months now and LOVE the SC for the reasons that I had hypothesized in my original comment. It is comfortable, it doesn't impinge on the "fishability" of the boat IMO.

I stand by my comments about tiller steer made originally but I do note that other people have very different opinions and rightly identified that the responsiveness of the steering in tiller boats has real advantages in tight situations...however for my use the balance falls strongly against tiller...especially due to poor visibility when off the plane ie in rough water or in crowded water.

I hope that you love your new boat and set it up in the way that suits you. My opinion is definitely only shared as "grist for the mill".

Cheers
Tim

Splash
25-04-2012, 08:06 PM
THanks Tim :-)

SPlash

dan sheard
25-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi Mate, Ive just sold my centre console and remote steer engine to replace the whole lot with a tiller steer system, There is so much more room in boat, And Should be able to sleep out over night in it now. Its a polycraft 4.55
Cheers Dan.

Splash
26-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Well done Dan.

Space is King. Besides loss of space, what other aspects of CC did you not enjoy?

SPlash

TheRealAndy
26-04-2012, 08:05 AM
I have a 4.55 centre console. The console takes up a lot of space. Pros are its good one up when compared to a SC, nice and balanced. Also better view from centre console compared to tiller steer. My console is in the middle of the baot, would be better if it were a bit further back.

timeout
26-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I had the 4.55 front runner and had plenty of room front and back for the size of the boat + seats to sit on.