PDA

View Full Version : Flathead slaughter delivers hefty fine (pic of fillets included with this post)

GraemeW
25-04-2012, 09:58 AM
A QUEENSLAND rec fisherman has been fined $10,000 after pleading guilty to possessing excessive quantities of fish.
Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Glen Harsley said the fisherman was intercepted after returning from an eight-week fishing trip in north Queensland.
"The fisher was caught in possession of 2915 pieces of flathead fillet, when the bag limit is five, and 98 goldenline whiting which exceeds the bag limit of 30," he said.
"This successful prosecution should send a serious message to fishers to understand the rules that are in place to ensure sustainable fisheries for Queensland now and into the future.
"Bag limits aim to conserve heavily exploited species and to conserve those that are susceptible to capture.
"They also allow catches to be shared more equitably amongst fishers and reduce the illegal marketing of fish.
"Respecting the resource means understanding and following the rules."
Harsley said if people were caught breaking the rules, they could be going to court.
"Breaching the size and bag limits is a serious offence and one which attracts fines of up to $100,000," he said.
Illegal fishing pracices can see offenders receive on-the-spot infringement notices, for example, a fine of up to $400 for taking fish over the bag limit.
For free copies of the Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide or the Recreational fishing size and bag limits for Queensland brochure, call 13 25 23, or download at www.fisheries.qld.gov.au (http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au/).

ShaneC
25-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I only counted 2913.....

marto78
25-04-2012, 03:14 PM
I only counted 2913.....

Smart ar$e

sharkymark2
25-04-2012, 05:46 PM
He does that and only gets a $400 fine :(. He must have felt shitty after all that work to have them confiscated lol.

Marlin_Mike
25-04-2012, 06:39 PM
I only counted 2913.....

the inspector took a couple home for dinner :):):):)

johncar
25-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Disgusting stuff, the fine is substantial but not enough IMO. Keep in mind though that this is one bad example of an unlicenced fisher being greedy. Not a true Rec fisher, shouldn't be refered to as a "Rec Fisher" at all because he is not, but a pro without a licence. The commercial catch makes this look like loose change and goes on day and day out. I think I heard 65 tonnes of fish through the Sydney fish market daily. Easy to see why the fish stocks are struggling, makes me feel sick.

Make me even more sick when I see our local seafood supplier dump tray and trays of reef and other fish fillets on a regular basis being excess to sales.

Quote: "SFM sells around 2700 crates at every auction, or 65 tonnes of fresh seafood every day".
Every Day!!

sharkymark2
25-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Since found that he was fined $10,000. The guy was from NSW.

Si
25-04-2012, 07:33 PM
should be fined more for that filleting job. plus those fillets are really small too....

Mike Delisser
25-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Good, should be more of it, then these shonks might get the message.

terry71
25-04-2012, 10:29 PM
there is another post around with the rest of the story he got fined $10000 out of a max $100000 he should have been fined it all & lost his boat & license

Screamin Semen
26-04-2012, 04:04 AM
"Breaching the size and bag limits is a serious offence and one which attracts fines of up to $100,000," he said www.fisheries.qld.gov.au (http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au/).

What does it take to attract the 100k fine? 29150 fillets? :\ 10k is a joke!!

GABBA110360
26-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Disgusting stuff, the fine is substantial but not enough IMO. Keep in mind though that this is one bad example of an unlicenced fisher being greedy. Not a true Rec fisher, shouldn't be refered to as a "Rec Fisher" at all because he is not, but a pro without a licence. The commercial catch makes this look like loose change and goes on day and day out. I think I heard 65 tonnes of fish through the Sydney fish market daily. Easy to see why the fish stocks are struggling, makes me feel sick.

Make me even more sick when I see our local seafood supplier dump tray and trays of reef and other fish fillets on a regular basis being excess to sales.

Quote: "SFM sells around 2700 crates at every auction, or 65 tonnes of fresh seafood every day".
Every Day!!

Surely you cant be serious in drawing a comparison between this subject and legitimate commercial sales through SFM .
But on that note if they are selling 65 tonnes a day then someone other than yourself must be eating it ?
would that be fair to assume?

blackjew
28-04-2012, 08:32 AM
They should have taken everything all his assets,you can bet your left one hes doing it for years,and has just been caught.
Down south a few years back fisheries caught some blokes poaching ABBS at night from the shore with shark cages they lost everything they owned boat flash FWD house and they were fined and dam good job to i recon .Isnt that why we have fish catching laws.They should have fined him per fish as heaps of them don't even look sizable.
I wonder what nationality he is