PDA

View Full Version : Father and Son 1770 Bagout - First Trip Out !!

BigAl1071
25-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Been planning to get the lad offshore for some time but didn't really know how he would go, having not been out before, so made the decision to try my luck. We booked in an extended weekend with Anzac day to clean up and hoped the weather would play the game.

Happy days the weather looked great and we hit the road at 6:00am Sat, arriving at 1770 around 11:00 after fueling up and getting bait etc. The prediction was for some swell but bugger all wind and that is pretty much what we got. Brilliant Trip out at around 30 knots.

So far so good, weather - check, boat - check, sea sickness -check, looking good. Pulled up on the bait grounds and set the lad up with a bait jig - down he went and straight on with a big smile on his face BUT he starts hanging shit on us straightaway !!!. ( He got the hang of this fishing with the lads pretty quick). Got enough for the arvo with some nice variety and a happy son.

Stopped off for a look at a couple of spots for not much so headed to the Fitroy area for a quick arvo fish before settling in for the weekend. Picked up a nice trout and reef jack with the Lad getting a few hussar and parrot and a big smile on his face.

Day 2 headed out early with the weather even better than yesterday and arrived at the spot in quick time. Well from the first drop until the last we had action, hussar every where and plenty of good fish in between.

Now the boy is not a fishing fanatic but was straight into it and started to load up!!, Before long his outfit is bent over hard and he is pumping and winding like a real pro- didn't have to do much coaching and up pops a nice RTE. Great start -arsy little bastard. Helped him unhook and bait up again and said "your on your own from now pal". This didn't deter him and he just got better and better - and more and more cocky. What have i created?

Moved around a bit to keep the action going and we pulled up on one of my favourite spots that i found when doing some looking around a while back. Well he's really got the hang of this and down he goes before i have even switched the motor off !!! Before i get organised he loads up hard and after a bit of grunting and growning up comes a nice trout around 2 kg- you little beauty !!!. Helped him get the fish off and bleed him while he goes back down. Before i get a line in the water he's on again - but this time he is really getting a work out, a few heads shakes and runs and me thinks we have a Red Emperor. Yep- guessed right but he works it like he has done all this before and a nice little red slides into the net. You ripper - 2 drops with a trout and Red !! Can i have a go???

Anyway i don't know if it was beginners luck or what but he had the knack of getting fish and stuck to it pretty much all day. We fished for 16 hous that day and he only had a couple of rests for 15 minutes or so - you little legend. ;)

Anyway the rest of the trip was just a pealer with the best fishing i have ever had and with my son on board for his first trip and performing like a champ- I am one PROUD DAD. I was having trouble finding something that we could do together that we both really liked but I have found at least one thing - happy days;D;D;D;D

In the end James scored a species list including, Red Emporer, Coral Trout, Red Throat, Coral Cod, Maouri Cod, Hussar and Parrot. Not a bad first trip.

Oh - by the way there were 2 other blokes on the boat - TJ and me and in bewteen the boys efforts we went OK as well, with a great mix of fish and some monumental bust ups and just bad luck costing us some great fish. I got my best RED at 9.5 kgs and TJ got his first ever Cobe, so we were pretty stoked. Got home a day early with both esky's full and can have a leasurely Anzac Day with fish for lunch with friends!!

Picies show the story as well. Gotta love Australia !!!!

terry71
25-04-2012, 07:34 AM
well done looks like a great couple of days out, great to see you & your son have found the common ground & I bet there will be alot more of the good times to come all the best.

2IC
25-04-2012, 07:45 AM
mate well done ,, thats a great part of the world up there,, keep that boy going hard,, great read

outta line
25-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Well done, you have some cracker fish there! You are right - the conditions were magic. I, too, was out at Fitzroy Saturday night and Sunday night. Wish I knew there was other Aufishers out there - I would have come and said g'day! It was my first trip out there... it is a magic place, can't wait to get back again. Hopefully, you have your son hooked now, so that you have a permanent deckie all the time!
Cheers,
Mick

MEG-A-BITE
25-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Well done,nothing like fishing with your lad.When my lad is a bit older hope to do the same.

vertico
25-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Great fish there mate, well done on the trip.
See you got a few fish on some flys.
well done.

Gon Fishun
25-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Piccy no. 10 A picture speaks a thousand words. The young fella has the look of a fisherman. Congrats, and a very good read.:D

Prowl n Wolf
25-04-2012, 05:57 PM
a great post. thanks for sharing.

Smithy
25-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Good work Boss!

James has shot up since last time I saw him. Jenko looks the same. The Jorgies or anyone ride shotgun beside you this trip?

lightsout76
25-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Great post and pics there, sure am bummed i missed out on goin up, this weekend after hearing about the conditions and fish caught by some mates and now seeing this report just rubs salt in the wound.

Of course i planned to head up this coming weekend and that's why the forecast looks shit:'(

Gotta love fishin with the boy, can't wait to get mine out there and get into them!!

Thanks again for the report.
Leon.

BigAl1071
26-04-2012, 05:02 AM
OUtta line - Yeh i would be good to catch up sometime - although we came in after dark on both nights. Had a mate with and tried to tie up together but was a bit rough.

Vertico - Yep using PE flys , Not absolutely sure if they help or not at this stage but can say for sure that they don't hurt . Caught the good red and a trout on one and heaps of other bits and pieces. The other boys weren't using them and still caught fish so jury is out. We were chasing everthing but would like to just chase reds one day andgive them a real work out.

Smithy - Hey mate long time no talk. James is 13 in high school and starting to turn into a little man. We have really noticed a change in the last 6 months. Still get the odd cuddle but also get a bit of attitude at times - generally a good kid. Mate i am stoked we had such a good weekend together - couldn't have went any better. Jorg came with but must have run over a black cat - bugger all fish, Brayden ( his son) was crook all weekend,they both got stung by a blue bottle, had fuel problems, didn't know how to use the new Tyrnos and lost a few fish - but still kept on laughing.

outta line
26-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Al what was the bight like after dark sun set-sun up??...... was keen to fish it... but mate was buggerd and wanted to rest in lagoon
ill give it a go next time
cheers mick

XtremeBoony
26-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Well done on a fantastic trip mate and getting the young fella onto a haul must be a proud moment. Always great to see parents infecting there kids with one of the greatest sports on this planet ;D

Cheers from boony

vertico
26-04-2012, 06:36 AM
can you email me that red photo mate ? PEtackle@gmail.com
thanks again and nice trip
sean

BigAl1071
26-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Mick,

Fairly quiet after dark, but was sensational leading into dusk. Caught some real good trout just on dusk. Only fished until about 8:00pm as we were knackered and wanted to have a coldie with the other boat in the reef.

I have never stayed out all night but would love to give it a go sometime if the weather was good enough.

Monday was a bit of a slog getting back in but we picked up some nice fish early on so was worth it.

Cheers

Al

webby nq
27-04-2012, 09:30 PM
What a cracker of a trip mate, the young fella will be nagging the shit out of you to go out now, gotta love it
Webster

Beatsworkin2
28-04-2012, 01:43 PM
dont know u mate but awsome story my grandfather gave me this gift called fishing now passing on to my son at the age of three watched videos of fishing not sesame street at the age of four had to come with dad wasnt easy but loved it slept with lures till 7 and now gets tears in his eyes when i say were not going now 9 in conclusion to this take ur kids fishing and later on down the track when they wont to get up to mischeif u say come boy lets go fishing luv it hate computers just leant how to use one in last 6 months cool u can talk about fishing

Redhunter
29-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Looks like ya teaching the boys the right way,some nice fish well done.
steve

Lancair
29-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Awesome read and pics. Great to get the young fella keen. Well done.
Hope I can do the same with mine in the future.