PDA

View Full Version : fishing around Karratha

missingdna
25-04-2012, 05:44 AM
I may be moving to Karratha soon and im interested in any feedback on what to expect for fishing in the area. What type of fish,is a small boat suitable for the area/tides,is it safe to kayak fish, etc
Any feedback would be appreciated

frankie

bluefin59
25-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Best bet would be to get on the Fishwrecked web site , W.A based and full of good info on that area in the nor- west you lucky person ....Matt

missingdna
25-04-2012, 09:28 AM
thanks for the direction Matt. Its not a done deal yet but ive got my fingers crossed.

frankie

GBC
25-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Small boats are good in that area. Kayak O.k. - no crocs either. I even had a surf while I was over there. Ideally you'll set up the small boat on some larger wheels and tyres than we use over here. There's plenty of rivers, beaches and bays in the area that use bush ramps and dirt roads.

rabbi
25-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Small boats are good in that area. Kayak O.k. - no crocs either. I even had a surf while I was over there. Ideally you'll set up the small boat on some larger wheels and tyres than we use over here. There's plenty of rivers, beaches and bays in the area that use bush ramps and dirt roads.

My son lives there and he has seen big crocs on the beach in front of Karratha so good luck with the surfing!!
There are muddies up the creeks. He has heard of a few barra & salmon around the creeks.
He went outside fishing as part of his college training with getting his skippers licence and they went handlining with bait. he said it was a big mistake as he gave up after a few cut fingers and almost being pulled over the side of the boat by big cod mostly.
He wants me to go visit him one day so I might get there myself.
cheers

GBC
25-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Headland and whim creek sightings are newsworthy and they are a fair bit North. Karratha gets about as many salties as Bundaberg. It's not a listed habitat area.

goat boy
25-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Small boat will be fine, plenty of them here. I have a 4.6m and get out off the back beach and up the creeks (cod, jacks, flatties, salmon and bream have all been mainstays lately). Plenty of mullet and prawns to cast net. Lots of sharks as well...
Also head out off of Dampier, schoolies and spotties trolled up in close and an assortment of other stuff as well, got my first coral trout on a plastic the other week so it can't be that hard! ha
There is some fresh water close by, a kayak would be great for that, I dunno about any of the saltier areas, seen to many sharks for me to want to get that close to 'em...You also have good areas within an hours drive north and south to launch the boat but I haven't done that yet...went for a drive to a place called 40mile beach and they had a sign up warning about a recent croc sighting...dunno if thats just certain people wanting to keep visitor numbers down though?

rabbi
25-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Hehehe, well those signs are workin cause my young blokes not going back in the water, reckons the local pool is a better bet.
They had the signs up out the front of karratha too, where he saw the crocs about a few months back.

cheers. steve.

Muddy Toes
25-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I see Goat Boy failed to tell you about having to pick your tides to come back to the back beach unless you want a few hours wait or maybe enjoys watching the unfortunate boats sitting on the mud flats for a few hour like the rest of us.

missingdna
26-04-2012, 06:28 AM
thanks for all the info guys. its giving me a direction for my research to the area.
now im just sweating on this transfer working out.

frankie

thelump
26-04-2012, 06:31 PM
You will also be close to Point Samson area. Very good spot. Cleaverville also is a good spot with a good little creek/river

castamasta
27-04-2012, 11:18 AM
G,day Frankie
I just spent 19mths over there,and also I didnt get much opportunity to fish,I did manage a couple of trips.Transport was my biggest issue but there were plenty of land based spots worth a look if you have a vehicle,some of the spots mentioned above all work,also try some of the rocky points around dampier,lots of trevally,queenies jacks etc.The point to the left of hearsons cove "if you dont mind the walk" has good deep water with plenty of pelagics and also bluebone.Depending on your prefered fishing styles theres plenty to do.There are barra there,but the best fishing is in the extreme heat of summer,the locals say hotter the better.Also whitnall bay is pretty good off the stones.
Not much but hope it helps,good luck.
cheers,Gav.

missingdna
16-06-2012, 08:01 PM
well, the transfer is a go ahead and ill be starting at Karratha in about 3 weeks. Looking forwards to getting amongst it all but it may take a little time to get rigged up as i dont think my bass and bream gear will cut it....lol
also, how do you think my zego will go over there? 3m long, plastic twin hulled 30hp outboard? will it have the legs to get where i need to be ?

frankie

Muddy Toes
16-06-2012, 08:06 PM
It will be enough for the creeks around Cossack, Point Samson, Cleaverville and the many other creeks and estuaries.Don't know if I would be heading out to the islands in it though.....there's some plenty big ships out there that probably won't even see you if you cross their path let alone be able to stop if they did see you.
What are you going to be doing over here?

missingdna
17-06-2012, 02:27 PM
im moving over to work with glass installation.
im keen to get out fishing but i know ill have to invest in a whole new range of gear as i dont think my 10+ bass and 5 + bream rods will curt it :D

frankie

EdBerg
17-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't know where your located but it may pay to get all your fishing gear locally before you go up there. Places that far North usually get their stuff from down south so there is a premium for everything that you buy up there.

Cheers

missingdna
17-06-2012, 08:29 PM
the plan is to get up there for a few weeks then i have to come back to the gold coast for 4-5 weeks. before i head back up im planning to buy big on fishing gear i need for Karratha and get is hipped up.

goat boy
18-06-2012, 09:27 PM
There are a couple of stores here that sell fishing gear...big $$$ mark ups (just like everything else)
buy before you get here or online.

Muddy Toes
18-06-2012, 09:36 PM
There are a couple of stores here that sell fishing gear...big $$$ mark ups (just like everything else)
buy before you get here or online.

Yeah, I think you've got a choice of Adventure Sports or Adventure Sports.