PDA

View Full Version : Check your Synthetic Winch Ropes

johncar
24-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Just a gentle alert to check that your Dyneema, Spectra whatever Synthetic winch ropes eye splice has been done correctly and secure. Just came across a few this week that were supplied by a well known Aussie distributor that were incorrectly spliced resulting in the tail pulling straight out of the rope once a bit of tension applied and therefore letting go of the boat.
Pretty serious issue for us boaties who presume these things are done correctly.

If spliced correctly the tail of the eye splice should pass through the rope and then the rope should pass back through the tail, at least one full cycle, two even better and then the left over tail of say a good 150mm inserted and fed down the centre of the rope. This splice should not need any tape or heatshrink to hold it firm if done right, so if any heatshrink or similar on the rope be suspicious but it still may be OK.

To test your splice, if it is knotted over a hook, remove the hook, grip the rope with one hand just below the eye and and see if either end of the eye will pull out of the main rope.
If it does it needs to be respliced correctly. If nice and tight and either side wont budge it should be good.
If the rope is spliced through the hook (no knot) eye then just do the same to test it but it is probably Ok if done like this because without the knot, being spliced through the hook, it would have failed amlost immediately any tension was placed on it.
I have notified the distributor who seem to think they know what they are doing but I put it fairly strongly so I hope they got the message and are getting it sorted out .

Mrs Ronnie H
24-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi
I have been looking at buying a synthetic rope type. Which would you recommend. I have had cable-- rusts and don't like it because it could be dangerous if it happens to break. Have a ribbon now and for some reason it has stretched on one side and twists up if you don't hook up the right way.

Are the ones already made up say from bias ok.

Ronnie

johncar
25-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi Ronnie,
Without knowing your boat, you would definitely do yourself a big favour by going over to a dyneema style winch rope.
Just as a rough guide pick a diam of rope that is 1mm bigger that the length of your boat in metres so if an average weight 5M boat buy a 6mm and about a meter longer than your boat so a 6mm x 6M should be Ok for 5 metre boat. If closer to 6Metre then go 7mm x 7M rope and so on.
My boat is 6.6M so I have an 8mm x 8M.
That's just a rough guide and you need to consider what type of hook you prefer like just an open S hook or a closed snap hook. The open hook is easier to deal with but borderline perhaps for a 5M boat and a closed snap hook may be safer.
But yeah once you have one of these there is no going back to the wire or strap IMHO
Probar at Caboolture near you usually has them in stock but I noticed they out out of them when I dropped in yesterday.

Mrs Ronnie H
25-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi
Thanks for the tips. Boat is 5.2 metres and strap we have now is 6 metres. Always play it safe so would probably look at a 7 metre rope as that will give a little extra if needed.

How is it designed to go on your winch is my next question. ???

Cheers
Ronnie

trueblue
25-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I bought my spectra rope as a straight length, but connected the hardware myself. didn't use the splice method, preferred a particular type of roping knot.

If you know your rope knots and know which ones reduce the breaking strain the least and know that with the knot reduction the resultant breaking strain is still suitable for the boat weight, its a lot easier to use an appropriate knot