PDA

View Full Version : PINK.....

wayno60
24-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Watching IFish the other arvo and PW was going on about pink line disapeares in water so how does, for example the zman bubble gum coloured plastic work??:-?

Mossy247
24-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Mate pink is up there in the best colours for me in the Zman's, my theory is. Sink the pink but don't down the brown.

Noelm
24-04-2012, 01:42 PM
that sort of thing comes up all the time, to our eyes, pink/red does disappear first, however, it does not just vanish, to us, it is blackish, and is quite visible, but not as red! now how a fish sees this is anyones guess, maybe they like pink because it stands out as very dark (like we see it) but then, maybe it is not like that to them, or to completely change tack, maybe it is the action of the lure/plastic that they bite, not the colour at all, the colour might attract the buyer at the shop, not the fish.

Mossy247
24-04-2012, 01:49 PM
that sort of thing comes up all the time, to our eyes, pink/red does disappear first, however, it does not just vanish, to us, it is blackish, and is quite visible, but not as red! now how a fish sees this is anyones guess, maybe they like pink because it stands out as very dark (like we see it) but then, maybe it is not like that to them, or to completely change tack, maybe it is the action of the lure/plastic that they bite, not the colour at all, the colour might attract the buyer at the shop, not the fish.
hmmmmm something to think about for sure I think colour is apart of it as I have had the exact same lure in different colours with one clearly getting more interest than the other, now there are so many variable and not much as a control so it isn't the easiest to proove otherwise. I will stick to my colours and what works well for me. Now saying that the pink jig heads I get off old mate Dayoo seem to be up there in the colours with salmon and red. To each their own I would say but to me I go with what has been tried and tested and what gets me results. The colours might catch me but they also catch the fish. To each their own.
Tight lines - Mossy

Noelm
24-04-2012, 02:04 PM
yep, I do not disagree with you, what I was getting at was, pink may not be pink anymore at depth, to us it is black and very visible, but to a fish, it might be brighter pink than at the surface, or fluro or something. I agree that at times a certain colour lure will work, where others don't, why is anyones guess, on the surface (ar even just below) the colours are still the same, even to us humans, but when you get deeper, everything goes greyish blue, (just like an old black and white movie/TV) and pink line is very dark indeed.

Noelm
24-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I guess in another way, lets look at hooks that are red, so the fish can't see the "flash" yet we use flasher teasers and stuff all the time, how fish see stuff is way different to what we see.

lucee81
24-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Mate pink is up there in the best colours for me in the Zman's, my theory is. Sink the pink but don't down the brown.

are we still talking fishing here :)

Mossy247
24-04-2012, 02:17 PM
:P
are we still talking fishing here :)
I was talking snooker :P:P

Yellowjack
24-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Just out of curiosity how do people know this information about what fish can see in the water and ect..?

I know theres probably tests and stuff done but does anyone have any links to articles where a study has been done? It would be an interesting read.

Cheers,
Jack

ps. the only thing im certain of is that plastics is better then bait, it doesn't take a scientist to realize that! ;)

Noelm
24-04-2012, 02:37 PM
There was a rather interesting article in a magazine once that was done by a group of scientists on fishes eyes, and what sort of 'receptors" they have, it seems that certain fish do indeed have colour vision, while others have acute monochrome vision, I guess it depends on how they hunt as to what sort of eyes they require, and where they are located on their head, some see ultra violet light quite well too, and some fish have ultra violet lines on them that we cant see without a "black light" we can only comment on what "we" see as humans, and I know what happens to colours in water, seen it a million times. How a fish sees these colours is anyones guess.

Dicktracey
24-04-2012, 05:21 PM
:P
I was talking snooker :P:P
When the pink's down pot the brown ;)

PinHead
24-04-2012, 06:32 PM
once again..aren't we trying to outsmart ourselves and the manufacturer's trying to empty our wallets with all these so called colours etc.

I can easily catch a feed using plain old 10lb mono and some bait.

choppa
24-04-2012, 07:16 PM
i gave the same answer in February when Greg posted this same query as follows:

Do fish see in color?

There is not just a single answer to this question since not all fish have been tested for color vision. However, the common goldfish certainly sees in color and many more at least have the necessary nervous system elements for color vision to be present. Color vision is the capability to see and recognize objects based not on how bright they are, but on how well they absorb, reflect or transmit light of different colors. For example, an apple looks red in sunlight because all but the red part of the white light from the sun falling on it is absorbed by the apple's skin leaving only the red light available for vision.

In order to have color vision, the retina in the back of the eye must have color detectors, called cones, present and the brain has to be wired to make use of the information it gets from the cones. We have three different kinds of cones in our eyes, called red, green and blue that make human color vision possible. The goldfish has four kinds of cones: red, green, blue and ultraviolet. Other fish have different numbers and kinds of cones meaning that they have the capability of seeing in color. However, simply finding cones in the eye does not mean that an animal has color vision. You have to test it behaviorally to see if it can tell one color from another. For example, I could set up a tank with two windows at one end whose color I could change. I would start by making one window gray, that is having no color, and the other red. Whenever the fish went to the red window I would give it some food. I would change the brightness of the gray and red windows to make sure that the fish was training to only color. As soon as the fish had learned to associate red with food, I would start to replace the gray with other colors and see if the fish still only went to the red. This would be repeated for lots of different color combinations. If the fish remained true to its trained color, than it would be said to have color vision. To date, this kind of testing has only been done for a few kinds of fish. However, I am confident that as we test many more kinds of fish we will find color vision to be very common,,,,,

there ya go,,,,

choppa

GABBA110360
24-04-2012, 07:25 PM
once again..aren't we trying to outsmart ourselves and the manufacturer's trying to empty our wallets with all these so called colours etc.

I can easily catch a feed using plain old 10lb mono and some bait.
i absolutely agree but i think these days it's a bit boring soaking it till it gets eaten
cheers
ken

choppa
24-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Just out of curiosity how do people know this information about what fish can see in the water and ect..?

I know theres probably tests and stuff done but does anyone have any links to articles where a study has been done? It would be an interesting read.

Cheers,
Jack

jack,,, my prior response came from a quick "google" ,,,,,,,,,,,,can fish see color"

there is a mirage of info on various tests done,,, i found the easiest one to understand and posted it

choco
27-04-2012, 11:27 PM
When they say red is the 1st colour to disappear under water, it occurs due to red being the shallowest penetrating light of the colour spectrum. Red light only penetrates below water around 10-15m (dependent on other factors like sun position, water clarity, water calmness). Red is followed by pink/orange and yellow at around 30m with blue penetrating the furthest. Obviously a red coloured lure, looks red to us as it reflects red light. Below 15m there is no red light to reflect so it will basically look black.
Cheers,
Allan