PDA

View Full Version : container ship, what container ship?

netmaker
24-04-2012, 10:40 AM
hi all. so, hands up whoever has run into a container ship;D. i was going to put up a poll but think it would be somewhat exclusive. i was talking to brett the other night and he told me he was a little disappointed he hadn't copped a pasting yet. so, here goes mate;): brett (just cause) let a very hairy moggy out of the bag at the banks m&g last saturday night. apparently whilst studying a blip on his newly acquired radar he nudged into a container ship:o. now i thought that other than for weather, the primary function of a radar is to locate (and hopefully avoid) other vessels. i could be wrong as there was a lot of laughing going on and there was copious amounts of alcohol going on too, but i think the blip on his radar actually was the container ship. please correct me if i'm wrong brett;D:oops::uhoh::LMAO::glasses2::glasses2::glas ses2:.

fishfeeder
24-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Seriously this has to be a Joke.....

Dicktracey
24-04-2012, 11:56 AM
hi all. so, hands up whoever has run into a container ship;D. i was going to put up a poll but think it would be somewhat exclusive. i was talking to brett the other night and he told me he was a little disappointed he hadn't copped a pasting yet. so, here goes mate;): brett (just cause) let a very hairy moggy out of the bag at the banks m&g last saturday night. apparently whilst studying a blip on his newly acquired radar he nudged into a container ship:o. now i thought that other than for weather, the primary function of a radar is to locate (and hopefully avoid) other vessels. i could be wrong as there was a lot of laughing going on and there was copious amounts of alcohol going on too, but i think the blip on his radar actually was the container ship. please correct me if i'm wrong brett;D:oops::uhoh::LMAO::glasses2::glasses2::glas ses2:.
Sounds like an RACQ add ;)

tropicrows
24-04-2012, 12:29 PM
No joke I heard it to. I can just see it now - Bret talking to his deckie "dont worry about that, it's just a dirt spot on my new radar screen".... ;D ;D
We all nearly pissed ourselfs when we heard this story.

Mossy247
24-04-2012, 12:31 PM
For real? How do you even come out unscathed from hitting a container ship? Sounds like a Jessica Watson episode! hahahahhahhahah

netmaker
24-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Seriously this has to be a Joke.....

sometimes fact is way funnier than fiction

WalrusLike
24-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Was the container ship ok?

netmaker
24-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Was the container ship ok?

that is an unknown. i believe it was a hit and run.

Mossy247
24-04-2012, 02:44 PM
that is an unknown. i believe it was a hit and run. At least it wasn't a bright pink boat like Jessica's bit hard to miss that one.

lucee81
24-04-2012, 03:19 PM
At least it wasn't a bright pink boat like Jessica's bit hard to miss that one.

You keep talking about jessica's boat. Have i missed something or are you jelouse becasue you dont have a pink boat???

Mossy247
24-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Jessica Watson's first big effort to sail around the world saw her run into a container ship. FAIL.

webby
24-04-2012, 04:04 PM
A few years ago, Mr Ausfish, Rakinray and myself and two others, (two boats) were anchored at a spot we have near the Measured Mile.
A summer storm came across the bay, and we coped it for a good half hour, as the storm was subsiding, we looked towards moreton to see this huge ship heading our way through the misty rain, as we were on the edge of the shipping channel, we didnt give much thought to it, but some time later we looked again and he was heading straight for us.
We kept thinking that he's going to read-a-just his course soon, as he was heading towards redcliffe, but this did not happen.
We were in a mates 625 with a electric anchor, and it too for ever to come up, we ever though about letting the anchor right out and reversing back as far as we could, but though wiser and kept the anchor coming up.
By the time we had it up and the motor in full reverse, the ship passed so close we could nearly touch the rivets, the other boat was on the other side and well clear, but they though we were toast.
As he passed he adjusted course and headed towards the river.
Charleville had bolted before the storm hit, luckly or he could have been mixed up in the mellee also.

Humdinger
24-04-2012, 04:14 PM
thanks davo . yep is true watching radar screen can in one hand smoke in the other trying to work out what the blip could be . then bang drifted straight into it . started motor and got out of there as quick as i could . probly should have been looking out the other side of the boat . radar was spot on .
and i suppose no one has swiped a beacon in the river either .

so who's coming fishing now .?????

thanks dave remember i am following you tomorrow . if your lucky i'll let harry drive . he normally tells me when a ship is coming .

WalrusLike
24-04-2012, 04:21 PM
....trying to work out what the blip could be . .

Um, er, shouldn't the "blip" have looked like the great wall of China by the time you were close enough to bang into it?

Or is your boat a bit biggish and your radar is mounted higher than those little steel sides those ships have?

😄😄

Sorry.... Can't help having fun with this.... You'll get plenty of chances to have a dig back at me... I am averaging a silly mistake a week at the moment.

Humdinger
24-04-2012, 04:24 PM
For real? How do you even come out unscathed from hitting a container ship? Sounds like a Jessica Watson episode! hahahahhahhahah
not realy unscathed . i told netmaker :o:stupid::oops:
not to mention the mental trauma (but that might have already been there)

Humdinger
24-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Um, er, shouldn't the "blip" have looked like the great wall of China by the time you were close enough to bang into it?

Or is your boat a bit biggish and your radar is mounted higher than those little steel sides those ships have?

😄😄

Sorry.... Can't help having fun with this.... You'll get plenty of chances to have a dig back at me... I am averaging a silly mistake a week at the moment.

it looked like an island .

Humdinger
24-04-2012, 04:30 PM
i was talking to brett the other night and he told me he was a little disappointed he hadn't copped a pasting yet. so, here goes mate;):

was actualy meaning i thought i was off the hook and every 1 was too drunk to remember . (think i was wrong again)

Humdinger
24-04-2012, 04:34 PM
😄😄

Sorry.... Can't help having fun with this.... You'll get plenty of chances to have a dig back at me... I am averaging a silly mistake a week at the moment.[/QUOTE]

it's no good stuffing up if no one can get a bit of fun out of it .
one day i will learn from the mistakes i make . but as i tell my kids , i do these stupid things so they don't have too:-[:-[:-[

lucee81
24-04-2012, 05:16 PM
it looked like an island .

so do you drift into islands frequently?????

netmaker
24-04-2012, 05:39 PM
i am worried:anxious:. cant imagine that big donk you got on back likes staying on 20 knots. might need to install some rear view mirrors so i can dodge ya;).

WalrusLike
24-04-2012, 05:44 PM
.....might need to install some rear view mirrors so i can dodge ya;).

What are you worried about? He's got radar....

😄

netmaker
24-04-2012, 05:52 PM
What are you worried about? He's got radar....

��

i will look like a target in the centre of it.

BillyT2382
24-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Sounded like you boys had a good time at the M&G Davo...That sounds like a add on T.V hahaha damn wish i was there..hope you all had a great time.

cheers
Billy

netmaker
24-04-2012, 07:38 PM
we had a great time billy. and its no coincidence it sounds like a tv ad. there were at least a half dozen blokes saying:"container ship, what container ship?" (only when they could stop laughing tho;))

ShannonR87
24-04-2012, 07:45 PM
That's gold

Humdinger
24-04-2012, 07:54 PM
so do you drift into islands frequently?????

strangly enough i have nearly ran into morton island (but it was dark)

netmaker
24-04-2012, 07:58 PM
save that one for the next m&g mate (unless you better it before then;))

Crunchy
24-04-2012, 09:01 PM
around the same time in another part of the world there was a Maersk shipping line captain at the pub with his mates....

" it was bloody unbelievable, this pr@&k just lined me up and started coming for me, I couldn't do nothing, he had this mad look about him, just kept inching closer and closer, I tried to wave him away but he was just mocking me, just kept reading his mag and having his smoke, then he just bumped me and turned around and f$#ked off, not a word, nothing....bloody strange It was I tell ya"

Humdinger
24-04-2012, 10:48 PM
around the same time in another part of the world there was a Maersk shipping line captain at the pub with his mates....

" it was bloody unbelievable, this pr@&k just lined me up and started coming for me, I couldn't do nothing, he had this mad look about him, just kept inching closer and closer, I tried to wave him away but he was just mocking me, just kept reading his mag and having his smoke, then he just bumped me and turned around and f$#ked off, not a word, nothing....bloody strange It was I tell ya"

i like that well done :D;D:o:oops::stupid:

Mr Squiggles
25-04-2012, 07:34 AM
A few years ago was trolling inside Moreton, with usual deckie/ brother-in-law in my old c/console Sportfish in my normal position of sitting on the helm, looking aft, watching the 'riggers & lures. Bro-in-law asks if I want a cuppa. "Fine" I replied. I then heard" Goodness, gracious me" or something like that, for as he'd turned to the bow he saw that we were about 10 metres from being squashed by the big blue car carrier I'm sure we in the Bay have all seen. I've never been more thankful of a perfet response from 175 horses than that time. Funnily enough Old Mate brings it up regularly. In all seriousness though, we were bloody lucky & no ones fault but my own. They really motor, hey, & therein lies the danger for a lot of inexperienced boaties who think they can cut across their bow etc.

wags on the water
25-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I might have to remind Tropicrows about his comment RE container ships off Straddy last year - YES Bruce we need to get out of its road! We were drifting and not at anchor. I fished with Outsiderskip at the banks a few years ago and we contacted a ship on VHF 16 and requested they change course as we were at anchor - well I can tell you I was ready to pull the anchor up (usually other methods are used) as the ship didn't look like moving until the last second.

Bull
25-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Lucky the Ships crew didn't think you were Pirates and you were trying to board them. Now that would of been funny a blast from a water cannon ;D