PDA

View Full Version : Great weather for offshore

XtremeBoony
23-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Well with the weather that we have got at the moment it would be "OUT OF LINE" if i didn't get out for a fish so the sunday just gone I got the leave past signed and went about finding a deckie. After a few calls I got a mate from work interested for a trip out to the ferns off yeppoon.

We headed for the fern grounds in search of repeating some of the action from last trip out with JT. Actually speaking of JT I hope he was ok the day he headed out after the many beverages that we consumed at his place the night before his trip :P

Anyway we were at our destination before sun up with high hopes. After a few drifts we were dissapointed when we couldn't even raise a picker. Even with the morning bite period of the sun rise things didn't improve. I went from mark to mark finding good ground (and not so good) and was showing my mate the shows of fish and great looking structure but we had trouble losing baits :-? That would be the norm for the day except for Matt getting monstered by some unknown and getting dragged back to the bottom. In all my years of fishing offshore I have never seen it that bad before but anyway u get days like that i spose :-?

We finally gave up and decided to hit a mack spot on the way home. Lucky we did as first troll and we get a hit, we turned around trolled back and were finally rewarded with a spottie. The gaffed mack shook when I was trying to get the lure out of it's mouth and drove 2 hooks of the treble into my arm. I got matt to grab the treble with the plyers and with a couple of pulls I was free, after gritting the teeth but I had the last laugh by putting him on ice. ;D

We kept trolling and kept getting great hits and runs but a string of bad luck would see us lose them all. They wouldn't take anything with wire either. One of the crazy deeps i just set got monstored and raored off before biting the mono leader through. Another we got to the boat before the hooks pulled.

Just before stumps we did snag a spanno on a floating pillie as a late consilation prize.

After seeing the same ground only a few weeks before fishing well, you wouldn't think it was the same place. Some other mates went out and reported the same thing of struggling to lose baits as well but it was a awesome day out on the water with the ocean being flat as the whole day which is great when your out there in a 4.8 center console.

Anyways we still had fun and it was better then being at work. Will have to make up for it next trip.

pic of the macks that saved our day
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5303/spottiespanno.jpg
By xtremeboony (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/xtremeboony) at 2012-04-23

vertico
23-04-2012, 10:27 PM
nice bait there boony ? are they slimey mackerels ? :P
well done champ

TREVELLY
24-04-2012, 05:58 AM
So Boony - you are hooked on fishing mate ;D - good idea to unhook the fish with pliers - I learnt that lesson at others expense ;)

Yep the fish were going tropo at the ferns till I turned up :-?

Probably take a few weeks to get over it then come good again :)

Thanks for the report - better luck next time

I did find the macks were okay to take a lure with only 6" of Knot-2-kinky wire just before it - seemed to do the trick keeping sharp teeth just a smidge away from mono - well i use Jinkai for a couple of metres above the short trace.

theoldlegend
24-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Yeah yeah yeah Boony, ho hum ho hum. We've all seen mackeral before.

As I said, it's not you we want to see holding up some fish, is it?

Get your act together mate.

TOL

XtremeBoony
24-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah yeah yeah Boony, ho hum ho hum. We've all seen mackeral before.

As I said, it's not you we want to see holding up some fish, is it?

Get your act together mate.

TOL

Check the video section TOL, this one is just for u ;D

Cheers from boony

theoldlegend
24-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Great video Boony!!

Can you tell me what your gear was?

Many thanks

TOL

Giffo65
24-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Nice fish Boony,good feed.

I got matt to grab the treble with the plyers and with a couple of pulls I was free, after gritting the teeth but I had the last laugh by putting him on ice. ;D

I dont want to be a deckie on your boat then:D !

I found on Sunday,the only thing that worked was livies,I had a couple of nice fresh Gar under ballons and no takers !

XtremeBoony
24-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Nice fish Boony,good feed.

I got matt to grab the treble with the plyers and with a couple of pulls I was free, after gritting the teeth but I had the last laugh by putting him on ice. ;D

I dont want to be a deckie on your boat then:D !

I found on Sunday,the only thing that worked was livies,I had a couple of nice fresh Gar under ballons and no takers !

Ha ha, yeah it does read a bit funny as I was in a hurray when I posted but I assure u it was the Mack on ice and the deckie was released back into the wild at the ramp ;D

Cheers from boony

webby nq
27-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Nice couple of macks hey boony, should have done a trip up north mate, they were chewin there heads of !!
Webster