PDA

View Full Version : Open Cockpit Space vs Casting Deck Platforms

Splash
22-04-2012, 03:51 PM
In a 4.1m polycraft open tiller...

What would you prefer - open cockpit for space or use alot of that open space for extending front and rear casting platforms...?

No open water stuff - just fishing the NT river system with lures for Barra...

Splash

TheSaint
22-04-2012, 05:15 PM
abit of both really..

My current boat is set up really well for fishing with tackle boxes, esky & multiable rods..

you just need to work out how stuff you will take with you..

Splash
22-04-2012, 05:30 PM
THanks Saint .

what do u use to fasten your rods to the platform?

How long is your boat?

Splash

TheSaint
22-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I use a product called 'Rod Savers' to secure my rods down. You get them from the states & highly recommend them if you like to lay your rods down while travelling..

My boat is 4.4m..

Here's a better pic..

Splash
22-04-2012, 05:53 PM
very nice rig!

Where from US do you buy these Rod Savers?

Do u think lying rods/reels down is better than hanging them through horizontal rod holders?

I notice you have emphasised front deck space over rear deck space - reasons for this?

Any issues having the fuel tank exposed? How do you fasten the fuel tank?

Splash

TheSaint
22-04-2012, 07:01 PM
very nice rig!

Where from US do you buy these Rod Savers?

Do u think lying rods/reels down is better than hanging them through horizontal rod holders?

I notice you have emphasised front deck space over rear deck space - reasons for this?

Any issues having the fuel tank exposed? How do you fasten the fuel tank?

Splash

I got the Rod Saver from bass pro shop or cabela's has them..

I like the rods laying down strapped with no movement over rod standing up or in horizontal racks as they move to much for me..

The front deck was extension to allow for a livewell & storage plus to also give some more room up there. I like how US bass boats are set up & take alot ideas from them..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?123420-Bass-Electrics-here-i-come..

plus the boat was designed that way..

The fuel tank doesn't get fasten down as the weight of the fuel (24L) holds it in position. The side effect of having it exposed it does sometime go alittle eggy but to stop this you just under fill it by about 4L..

Splash
22-04-2012, 07:26 PM
I like the idea of rods sitting comfortably on a solid base.

Some pics of my new hull.

I will be removing the SC unit.

How should I be maximising my fishing space, but still have effective casting plaftforms?

I am open to installing whatever I need to achieve this.

Splash

TheSaint
22-04-2012, 07:45 PM
If it was my boat i would keep the side console & bring the deck back even with it as you could use that a storage or a livewell. Then i would run rod locker down the left hand side but use it as storage & just lay the rods down on top of it. This would leave you some room behind the driving position for the esky & tackle bags.

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/11729-Polycraft-41-Challenger-Makeover

Splash
22-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks Saint.

I have already committed to a tiller steer.

Are saying I should use the SC and install the wheel, seat, etc?

What is the advantage of having a longer extended front cast platform over a longer read deck?

Splash

TheSaint
22-04-2012, 08:46 PM
yeah i would use it as a side console..

Splash
22-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks.

Reasons for keeping it as a SC?

What is the advantage of having a longer extended front cast platform over a longer read deck?

SPlash

Jarrah Jack
22-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Pity you're committed to a tiller steer Splash. There are big distances on those rivers and the console makes it much more comfortable. Also when its crowded you don't lose vision over the bow when getting onto the plane.

Splash
22-04-2012, 09:28 PM
I understand Jack - But I could not justify the extra $4k is setting up the SC stuff. I am happy putting that money into setting my boat up properly such as 3 large batteries, bimini, hull and motor cover, sounder, etc...

My boat will never be crowded and the tiller will have steering lock and throttle control, etc..

Splash

Splash
24-04-2012, 03:13 AM
I got the Rod Saver from bass pro shop or cabela's has them..
I like the rods laying down strapped with no movement over rod standing up or in horizontal racks as they move to much for me..

Hi again.

I am assuming these are the rod savers you refer to
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rod-Saver-Mounts/699549.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Drod%2Bsaver%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DH eader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rod+saver&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

?

If so, how do u ensure the tips of the rods do not move into each other when strapped at the top end?

Splash

TheSaint
24-04-2012, 05:29 PM

The longer front deck is where you fish from when your using the electric good to have more room up there mate..

They are rod savers i talk about & the tips don't move as you straps hold the rods really tight

Splash
24-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks Saint.

Do you ever fish on stern platforms?

I am thinking of extending both rear and front decks, but if I can be convinced not to extend the rear, but perhaps increase the front deck even more, then I guess that would be GOLD in your opinion??

Thoughts?

Splash

TheSaint
24-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I seldom fish from there but my mates & brother do & they seam to have enough room & are able to out fish from there.. lol

Like bigger front decks just for the room for when you are fishing from up there & you can lay 6 rods up with no problem.

Splash
24-04-2012, 09:25 PM
thanks.

I may just change my plan now and favour extending the front deck larger than originally planned, and keep the rear deck as is....

How do you find steering your tiller when seated?

Don't you have restricted steering range/reach when seating in front and not beside the tiller?

Splash

Chas & Clarry
24-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks Saint.

Do you ever fish on stern platforms?

Splash

I fish from the rear platform on our 4.2 all the time. Trace fishes from the front platform...she fishes very aggressively so I am not game to stand up there with her :o

That's not true, she is a saint :-*...but none the less I tend to fish from the back platform and I find it fine, of course I maintain control of the electric so perhaps I have been known to position the boat so the back has the easier access to prime structure etc fom time to time ;D :-X

Tim

TheSaint
25-04-2012, 07:04 AM
How do you find steering your tiller when seated?

Don't you have restricted steering range/reach when seating in front and not beside the tiller?

Splash

I have no problems with steering with my tiller..

I think my setup is close to perfect for a tiller..