PDA

View Full Version : Fun boats for rental

walshey
20-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi All,
There are 2 of us (a couple) and we are both 36 - we are looking to set up a small boat rental company in Perth where we live, We are serious about doing this and have the funds. The forum is a good way for us to do some research from people who know their boats and we are hoping to get some of your knowledge.

We have very little boating experience's at all we believe this dose not matter we are passionate about this and hard working and will make this work.

Our market is 25-45 years old miners. We are not thinking rentals like regular boat rental company - this rental is more geared for fun, Where the guys can have some serious fun on there week off.

What do you think would be popular and fun boat to start with keeping in mind we have 80K to spent on at least 3 boats each, that is total 240k. Also keep in mind maintenance cost.
We are looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.:D

stumbles
20-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I know companies like Boab boat hire are looking to expand. Could be a good way to get up and running. I've used them before and were great.

bar raider
20-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Perhaps a couple of ski boats, a couple of fishing boats and a fleet of jet skis??

A bunch of blokes will love hooning around on jet skis, they're like go karts, racing ya mates having FUN!!!

A group of mates hire a ski boat for the day and give it a go, that's fun too.

And every one needs a basic fishing rig to hire if they don't own a boat themselves..

And I've done all of the above before I got on the water myself.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Chas & Clarry
20-04-2012, 07:39 PM
25 year old miners (well actually any 25 year old really) + 80k boats = hope you have good insurance :)

Not dumping on your idea, just had to put the "cliche" out there, but I am sure that you have a insurance in your risk management planning. Wish you good luck in the business, I'm sure you'll get real advice from people in the know

WalrusLike
20-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Good luck with it. I hope you do well.

Be aware that to drive a Jetski or a boat you need a licence.... One for each type. That would mean that to make it attractive to miners you might need to bundle a licence course in with the hire for those that don't have one.

I would be asking around the boat repair yards what sort of repairs are likely and what material is going to be cheaper to fix? Aluminium, fibreglass or Poly?

What's more robust? I don't know myself.

Also the boat mechanics might be able to advise on what motors will be best. In that application I would think a four stroke simply because they can't forget the oil.

I am just guessing but I would think a plate aluminium with a good 4 stroke would be the most trouble free.

Good luck with it.

freefish
21-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Is this along with the caravans/camping trailers or instead of?

mowerman
21-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Is this along with the caravans/camping trailers or instead of?

I saw that as well.
So, are these boats being towed behind the campers or vans or is it a totally separate undertaking?

How many other forums has this been posted on?

Rod.

Marlin_Mike
21-04-2012, 08:57 AM
dont forget, they have to be to survey and commercially registered don't they? More cost to look at.

Mike

Muddy Toes
21-04-2012, 10:54 AM
For that kind of investment my money would be looking at running a charter boat out of Dampier........guys on their rdo's would jump at it and and their not short of a buck........bored guys with lots of cash on their day off.....no brainer.There are some charters up here but they are booked out 6 months in advance, all of them.Theres a big market up here to make money off miners on their rdo's and r&r's that's ruled by the handfuls of pubs in town and trust me when I say they only go to the pub because there is nothing else to do.

walshey
21-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I saw that as well.
So, are these boats being towed behind the campers or vans or is it a totally separate undertaking?

How many other forums has this been posted on?

Rod.

Hi Mowerman and Freefish

You must be living the good life fishing and camping:-)

Its on 4 forums as we are looking to rent out boats, campervans, cars and bikes.

We are looking into insurance so we are covered.

We are looking at:
Jet Skis - maybe Seadoo or what make/model do you think is the most popular?
What make/model do you think for a fishing boat?
What make/model do you think for a ski boat?

Thanks for all of your advise and comments, we really appreciate it.

myusernam
21-04-2012, 01:34 PM
poly bow rider. indestrucatble. good for skiing and fishing

walshey
23-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks they look good maybe a Polycraft 5.30 Bowrider

Jet Skis - maybe Seadoo or what make/model do you think is the most popular?
What make/model do you think for a fishing boat? Bowrider an option for fishing / skiiing - any other additional suggestions??

We want to get a couple of boats, and jet skis, kayaks.

Also add on equipment like fishing gear, skiiing equipment etc