PDA

View Full Version : Best anchor for my boat???

rumy1
19-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi folks

after some advice from all you other fishos. I have a 5.8m Quintrex Spirit with a Stressfree anchor winch. I am after a plough anchor but not sure which one to get? I can get the 15lb which is for up to 7m boats or a 20lb which is for up to 8m boats. ($20 difference) Would the 15lb be more than ample or should I go the 20lb? I do anchor in alot of tidal areas such as Yellow Patch and The Oaks, Gladstone areas. I intend on doing overnighters at the reef. I mainly drift the reef but will anchor occasionally if the fish are on. Currently I have a standard type sand anchor and a reef pick but I don't want to be changing anchors all the time, would be good to have an allrounder and the plough is as close as I can get according to my research.

Thanks for any advice !!!

Linedropper
19-04-2012, 09:20 PM
For an all rounder also look into the Manson Supreme, Sarca etc. Weight required will be best determined by the manufacturer's size chart.

johncar
19-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I am also interested in hearing what is used as an all round anchor for both soft and hard bottoms. I am using a simple home made design that seems to work well for everything I do whether on sand, mud or reef, but doesn't seem to be much on the market surprisingly. Haven't used a reef pick for ages, just the one anchor for all that is relatively small, light and flat when stored and can lift it no worries on a standard 12" float.

Muddy Toes
19-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Mate I've got a 24ft glass boat and I've got a 20Lb Manson plough and it does just fine.Add to that the weight of the chain and I think you may be looking at overkill for a 5.8mtr tinnie.
As for using it on the reef I still use my reef pick setup and only use the plough in the bay where it's mostly sand and mud.

Goochi
19-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I know guys who only use the sarca type anchors, including manson, and others who only use the plough. And then there are people like me who only use a reef pick. To me the sarca is a great idea, just too expensive for the material involved in making it. I'm with you Rumy1, I'm going to try a small plough, and getting one with dual attachment points so you have a chance of lifting it out backwards.

rumy1
19-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I know guys who only use the sarca type anchors, including manson, and others who only use the plough. And then there are people like me who only use a reef pick. To me the sarca is a great idea, just too expensive for the material involved in making it. I'm with you Rumy1, I'm going to try a small plough, and getting one with dual attachment points so you have a chance of lifting it out backwards.

15lb plough anchor with zippy tie for reef retrieval, sounds like the go. I wouldn't try an expensive anchor until I have experience on my side, I would be the type of guy that would lose a Sarca anchor first drop but would have a cheap plough anchor stay on for years.

Thanks for the advice my friends.

bigjimg
19-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I have a 6kg Delta connected to 5m of 6mm shortlink chain and she goes nowhere.The Delta anchor is made by Lewmar and is a plough style.This rig is floated with a 300mm ball and a 150mm ball added with handle attached,easy to pick up when on the surface.A 15lb or 20lb would be a bit of overkill and may require you to set it with some throttle.Pulling up by hand will test the missus out as well and may cause some colourful moments for you to reminisce over at a later date.Decisions decisions.Jim

WalrusLike
20-04-2012, 06:42 AM
For me it's the chain that makes an anchor.

Most anchors are designed to dig in when pulled horizontally and to lift out when pulled vertically. So you need to remove the vertical component of the curve that lies between bow and anchor.

Good heavy chain at the anchor does that. It lays on the bottom and resists lifting even as storm forces are applied to the anchor rope.

So I reckon you get the anchor size recommended then put a length of the heaviest chain you or your decky will be able to lift, before finishing with good sized anchor rope and fittings.

Then nearly any appropriate anchor will do its job.

ozscott
20-04-2012, 07:32 AM
If you have an electric windlass you are stuck with its gypsy size for the chain - in my case 6mm short link. I have had for years a Manson plough. NZ made and worth the money in my view. Has held on very well to all manor of bottoms from the Pin to the Bay and has served me a lot better than any other anchor I have had including Manson knock offs and sand anchors for what I do.

Cheers

hakuna
20-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I run a stress free with a sarca, tried the plough, found it was not as good and did not pull up into the nose properly.
I do have a reef pick on board but find I have no trouble with the sarca, it actually holds better. Only use the pick if I anchor in a canyon type bottom. Also have had the ball lift over the years, does work ok but nowhere as good as the winch as it can place more lift on the rope.
Remeber with a small boat you can roll your boat easier with a winch if your anchor gets stuck, especially in a sea swell pulling the nose down too far. You will know soon enough, just have the finger close to that freefall button, will scare the hell out of you the first time.

cheers

rowanda
20-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I've got a coopers anchor and love it, use it everywhere. Was way cheaper than a sarca aswell.
I use it with a zip tie and have always got it back, anchoring on some pretty reefy and rocky bottoms

Reefmaster
20-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I have used many anchors over the years and found most pretty disapointing. It's an extremely important part of fishing and in particular Offshore fishing to ensure it hooks up quickly and holds.

I kept looking around and came across a manson supreme which ticked all the boxes for me.

A few features the manson supreme has over the sarca's is that it's smaller in size with even better holding power. This is great for storage areas that may be limited to space. It's also cheaper which is a bonus.

I have been using this anchor for about 9 months now and have found it to be fantastic and would recommend it to anyone looking for a superior anchor.

Regards,
Greg

Tangles
20-04-2012, 01:06 PM
They look very similar to the Rocna's Greg

Malcolm W
20-04-2012, 02:22 PM
I have a 6kg Delta connected to 5m of 6mm shortlink chain and she goes nowhere.The Delta anchor is made by Lewmar and is a plough style.This rig is floated with a 300mm ball and a 150mm ball added with handle attached,easy to pick up when on the surface.A 15lb or 20lb would be a bit of overkill and may require you to set it with some throttle.Pulling up by hand will test the missus out as well and may cause some colourful moments for you to reminisce over at a later date.Decisions decisions.Jim

Have the same set up, but with a bit more chain. I can anchor 4-5 times a trip diving and found the 6kg Delta more than enough to hold a 5.6m plate ali.
The Delta seems less prone to the chain wrapping around the anchor when its dropped too quick as its weighted with lead in the tip.
The Manson was my original choice but the delta won out at 1/2 the price.
The other advantage is it stacks away better than the Manson / Rocna / Sarca.

La Vida
20-04-2012, 02:47 PM
put a super sarca no 2 on for your sized boat, I have used manson, rocna ect before and the super sarca is the best performer by a mile, still well priced, is aussie made just a sensational all rounder. problem with rocnas and manson supreme is they have a concave blade like a shovel. if yow are on a muddy/silty bottom they hold the soil when they brek free choking ithe blade as such they then do not reset easily. where as the the Sarca has a convex blade sloding to the outer . it cuts in and digs deaper and clears itself and resets easier.

I have used them all and for fishing the super sarca is just a winner... still carry a reef pick though if on rocky reefy bottom

mal555
21-04-2012, 11:44 AM
If you need a few days of entertainment, google anchor threads.......wow people get excited about them, especially the demise of the Rocna 'phenomenon', like ybw forums.

The Manson/Delta gear is great, but we are only talking about big dinghies here, 15 Kgs is heaps on a normal plough with adequate chain (boat length) as they stow and look better than the roll bar models.

rhodesey
21-04-2012, 07:11 PM
The cooper anchors work well I used one on my last boat a signature 600F and it held well anchor and 10 meters of 6mm chain.
I even use it in now when doing day trips fishing in the bay on my 7.5 meter boston whaler. Overnighters and bad weather I use my larger delta anchor.
The cooper anchor light and a good aussie product.