PDA

View Full Version : best donk/ etec or opti

bobbyb
19-04-2012, 08:27 PM
hi all, the next boat is going to be a centre cab platey with a outboard, when i find one at the right prise. very disapointing when 80 percent of all the good boats you find are under powered.

four strokes are good but always had a urge for a etec, still quiet and smooth but leap out of the hole and go like a scalded cat.

just wondering how opties compare as there seems to be quite a few boats on the market with them......... cheers

geoffmck
19-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't think there is much between them, I have just gone through the exercise of choosing a 90hp for my new Quintrex 490 escape. I went with Etec because they are a bit lighter and I like the idea of reduced service frequencies and costs. The Opti's are also a massive looking donk on the back of the boat which turned me off a little. My research showed that the Opti was maybe slightly more economocal (maybe) and the Etec was supposedly a fraction quieter at cruising revs. I am sure either will suit your needs. The Opti's have an advantage with the smartcraft gauges coming standard.

Jabba_
20-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Both will be similar in performance, both are in-line 3cyl motors.. If you want a quiet motor, then the Opti is not going to do it for you, their noisy as hell..

Marlin_Mike
20-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Ok, hang On, Hold You Horses......................... give me a minute to pull up a chair, get a few drinks and some popcorn before the e-tec assassins come out................................Ok, I'm ready..............let the e-tec assassinations begin, damn I love a good e-tec tarnishing in the morning :):)

marto78
20-04-2012, 06:34 AM
This is a bit different to the old 4 stroke vs etec thread and should be an interesting read to see what peoples opinions are of the two.

Etec gets my vote only because I don't know bugger all about the Opti's.

ozscott
20-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Optis are a very well proven motor that have been around a long time. The three negatives for me are the compressor and belt (if it or the belt plays up you are going nowhere, but its very rare I hear these days); the noise (although Opti fans say they love the crisp raucous sound - something in that too because its like taking a top fueler for a drive versus an XR6 turbo in terms of sound...); and that the opti cant run without a (big) battery - I think the etec might have an advantage on all those points. Size doesnt worry me too much.

I think the ETEC will be better though once its proven itself, as it might be doing now..who knows, but I havent seen any complaints on here for a while.

Power, and fuel pretty much the same - in some Optis fuel use is better, but my bet is that it waxes and wanes across the range comparison.

Cheers

hakuna
20-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Ok, hang On, Hold You Horses......................... give me a minute to pull up a chair, get a few drinks and some popcorn before the e-tec assassins come out................................Ok, I'm ready..............let the e-tec assassinations begin, damn I love a good e-tec tarnishing in the morning :):)

Damn you got me, I was going to say they both make good anchors, hard to say which one was better.;D;D

cheers

Noelm
20-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I guess it will depend on where you live, in QLD, 4 strokes rule the world (and Yamaha) Victoria is a mix of Suzukis and e-tecs, here in NSW it is quite a mix of brands and operating principals, although there is not a lot of Optis around here. As mentioned, they are all good, just flip a coin or let the colour decide for you.

MyWay
20-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I can only talk about opti because I got one 150 hp ,and I 'm very happy with performance an fuel economy

and oil is much cheaper for optimax than for etec

after all who give u better deal it is all about and $$$ .

Sevric
20-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I went with the etec based on weight on the transom, service interval and the dealer. You have to be happy with the dealer and his service department before choosing any outboard. I do not think you will find a lot of difference one way or the other on fuel consumption.

OPTI
20-04-2012, 05:23 PM
i chose optis because ,they have smart craft guages ,dts controls,cheaper oil,better fuel economy,better resale,and the big clincher,98%of parts in stock in australia,so no waiting for parts and the best warranty back up in the buisness.and who would want a white engine anyway;D

TREVELLY
20-04-2012, 05:55 PM
and who would want a white engine anyway;D

Yep I am with you Opti - black Suz . . . . oh yeah 4 stroke ;D

Goodluck with your choice Bob - sounds like dealer and service a big factor.

Dealer was a factor for me regardless of 4 or 2 stroke

team_mongo
20-04-2012, 07:11 PM
OPTIs - Now proven. Torquey and a bit noiser. Cheaper oil. Merc props (which are the best in business) fit straight up. Not directly NMEA2000 compatible, need the gateway. DTS controls. A heavier in certain sizes.

ETECs - Lighter. Fully NMEA2000 compatible, so dont necessarily need Rude Gauges (I get most of my info from my furunos). Quieter. ICON fly by wire controls. Dear as poison XD100 Oil. Longer service interval. May be more fuel sensitive due to the very high pressure direct injection. Latest revision injectors seem to be holding up.

bobbyb
20-04-2012, 07:13 PM
thanks all. technoligy being what it is i did't think there would be much in it. some good points on both sides. i do like the idea of the smart guages butt i also like the idea of 300 hr between servises. any way all good. cheers.......

bigjimg
20-04-2012, 07:52 PM
If I had an E-tec,and I seriously looked at them,I wouldn't be hanging out for 300hrs before I got it serviced.That is one claim I just cannot get my head around.I am sure E-tec owners are seeing the inside of a workshop having something done before that comes around.And anyway Opti's are better.......Jim

wrxhoon
20-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I have a 200 Opti on the Trophy , never any issues with it, always fires first kick, runs at any rpm without problems, doesn't smoke or foul plugs. Plenty of power out of the hole and top end, as good as any outboard on fuel .
I have a new boat, Grady white seafarer, at Brunswick waiting to be shipped and guess what she will be fitted with 250 optimax when she arrives .
Merc are offering $2000 off until the end of the month, cheaper than anything else in DI 2 st or 4 stroke, Suzuki 4 bangers are priced very keenly right now, even cheaper than E-tec. ( 250 hp motors , I don't know about anything else).

E-tec is quieter than Opti , that's for sure , then again 4 bangers are almost silent at very low rpm.
By the way the 250 Opti is lighter than 250 E-tec, not much in it, just 13 kg.
As far as fuel use goes I don't think there is much in it , any 2 st Di or 4 st, they all use about the same.
Scott,
You only need a decent battery to start the Opti , not to run it , she has a 60 amp alt.

team_mongo
20-04-2012, 08:40 PM
hey bobbyb, what size donk u lookin at?

oldie
20-04-2012, 09:17 PM
300hrs or 3yrs before service on the Etec as per advertising? any dealer including brp, will tell you to drop the lower unit and grease drive shaft, prop shaft, any grease nipples or points every 12 months of ownership on an etec, and even worth doing the gearbox oil. otherwise big chance of needing the OXY to remove the lower unit after 3 years and other issues, if you do big hours on your motor regardless of what make or type, regular maintanence is key to longevity and reduced chances of issues. Quality fuel, filters are also very important.

weekendfisher
22-04-2012, 12:46 PM
What you need to do is just list the pros and cons of each motor and weigh up which one suits your needs the best
as it was mentioned earlier in the thread Mercury are offering $2000 of their optimax range with the motors being so close in comparison the 2 k off would seal the deal in my books.
Everyone will have their own opinions about which is better but at the end of they day they are both about the same regardless of peoples opinion so long as you are happy with the purchase you make at the end of the day you will have a great motor either way.