PDA

View Full Version : Info on this boat please.

upstart
19-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Can anyone tell me about this model of boat? What do you think of the mods made to it?
I know it's a Swiftcraft but I haven't been able to find any reviews on them. We're they a safe hull? Good riding? Well built?
Cheers, Ben.

tropicrows
19-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Swiftcraft dominator it's and early hull they changed to a clinker hull in the early 80's. look at my Avatar. What's the alum bit hanging off the back, I would stay away from it personally, as that will change hull performance some what.
They were a great hull in there day, bit flat at the stern but nice an stable at rest. They were made out of a factory in vic until it burned down.

I'll sell you mine for the right price.............:)

upstart
20-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info tropic and the offer but I'll let it slide this time :)

Noelm
20-04-2012, 08:20 AM
yep, that boat looks like a bad investment to me, it may perform OK, but I don't think a half aluminium and a half glass boat is exactly my cup of tea!

Apollo
20-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info tropic and the offer but I'll let it slide this time :)

I think it would be a good idea to let this boat slide. Not Bruces, but the 50/50 boat.

upstart
21-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Just curious, why do you think that an ali pod is a bad match to a fiberglass hull?

Gon Fishun
21-04-2012, 09:10 AM
If the price is right :P send the pod to Simms and bring the transom back to standard. Looks like it might be a bit of a project boat.

tropicrows
23-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Walk the other way, unless you know what your doing it. Depending how how much work has already been done, you could be looking at new floor and stringers a transom rebuild and replacing all the rotten timber under the upper deck and this means you need to separate the top and lower section of the hull. Having been there and done all this I can tell you it's all very time consuming

myusernam
23-04-2012, 09:27 AM
pod and extending waterline can onlu make it better, also it may mean that the last guy cared enough/ spent enough on it to make sure the rest of it was done. id buy with pod

mal555
23-04-2012, 10:42 AM
There have been many successful alloy pod conversions on grp boats, it's always down the workmanship on any job regardless of the material used that will determine the structural integrity.
It might be worth having the conversion inspected.