PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 60 2 stroke or 60 4 stroke on 450 quintrex

COASTCUT
18-04-2012, 01:49 PM
hi im just getting into the fishing scene and looking at buying a boat.ive been looking around and pretty much decided on a brand new quintrex 450 escape. i want the boat for fishing and also i have my wife and 3 young children so want to use it with them to.i live in nelson bay so i am pretty much on the water. im not sure which motor to put on it
the oil injected 2 stroke 60 or the 4 stroke 60

3rd degree
18-04-2012, 01:57 PM
If you can afford it go the 4 stroke...

Cheers

Jim

hooknpull
18-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Second that...

TheSaint
18-04-2012, 02:43 PM
third that...

Lovey80
18-04-2012, 03:54 PM
4 stroke for me too. Just make sure that you give it a very healthy flush with fresh water every time you finish usinging it ie 15minutes a go.

Crocodile
18-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Hello Coastcut,

a very good question.
I recently needed to replace my 60hp 2s Yamaha.
Did I ever wonder over the decision.
Two Stroke
about $1000 cheaper to buy (I did not want to over-capitalise on an older boat)
noticably more power (important for me as I cross bars)
Four stroke
uses less fuel (but not nearly enough to make up the extra buying price)
quieter at idle (not much quieter at cruise, I don't spend much time at idle)
probably better re-sale given the current paranoia about fuel costs.

The agent did give me a drive of a 4s, which I thought was very fair.
I went for the two stroke and am satisfied.

COASTCUT
18-04-2012, 05:23 PM
at the moment im thinking the 2 stroke not because of the price difference but from what ive read they are far more powerful than the 4st and i want to make sure that i have more power than what i need.i have to make my mind up quickly because i want to order the boat by the weekend

Moffy
18-04-2012, 06:20 PM
which 450 Quintrex? - my brother had a 60 4 banger (yammie) on his 470 top ender and it was ample power - though it was the open topender - i.e. motor hanging straight on transom - and tiller steer - no pod etc out the back - so maybe a bit lighter.

two up in that boat was great performance- 1 up was hairy.

i was suprised as had been in Dad's boat with the 40 4s and it was undergunned (a 435 hornet) and so was worried that the 60 would be too light on my brother's boat - but it was fine. Might be a different story if you are talking one of the heavier 450s???? (forward steering runabout with pod etc)

don't underestimate the benefit of no oil smoke when boating with the family!!

Jeremy
18-04-2012, 06:52 PM
60 horses is 60 horses. The 2-stroke is not more powerful, just more responsive and the power band is at lower revs. You will get much better re-sale on a 4 stroke than a 2-stroke if you ever decide to sell.

Seahorse
18-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I got 4.55 seajay with a 50 hp yammy 4st and goes real good. The 60 hp would have been better.

Andy56
18-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Here Here, the 4 stroke is a ripper. I used to hang at 6000rpm and it just hummed along. The two stroke may have a bit more zip at lower rpm, but that is really only an issue if you need to navigate heavy seas all the time. The 4 stroke has ease of use too, ie no oil tank to topup, less smoke and less noise

Fallen angel
18-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi COASTCUT
THE 2 stroke will be more responsive but only just, I have had both. I had on the back of a 4.2 quintrex a 60hp mercury Bigfoot and then a 50hp 4stroke that both were used extensively. To be perfectly honest I dropped about 2 MPH from the 60 to the 50, my 4ST actually reved harder so I that is where I got my speed from.

Is it just fishing you are looking at doing I would lean towards the 4 stroke, if your are also looking at water sports I would lean towards to the 2 stroke. The reason being the 2stroke looks to have a larger diameter prop. Either way ensure you get a stainless prop, there are so many more advantages to running a stainless.

Anyway this is just my opinion and best of luck on the water.8-)

Cheers

geoffmck
18-04-2012, 08:54 PM
What about an etec?

strongy
19-04-2012, 07:44 AM
I`ve got a 60 yammie 4 stroke on a 445 side console and couldn`t be happier , quiet smooth and responsive with great fuel economy , if it was me i`d go the 4 banger , cheers

Fed
19-04-2012, 08:52 AM
You & your Missus plus 3 little kids, buy a bigger boat Coastcut.
There's a huge difference between 4.5M & 5.5M.

Want to do the deal before the weekend, are you being pressured by the dealer with the deal of a lifetime?
I'd walk away for a while and think about the whole thing.

Crocodile
19-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Hello to all,
Two stroke smoke, mine uses very little oil and thus makes very little smoke.
When running-in it was embarassing but now that I am past that, some on startup but thats all.
Better re-sale, yes, but then it costs more in the first place so it would want to be better.
The notion that a four stroke has no oil tank to top up overlooks the sump that holds oil and needs to be checked and drained every 50 hours + oil filter. In 50 hours my 2s will use about $100 of oil(Yamalube). What does a enough oil to fill the sump + an oil filter cost?
When I was shopping I did want an Etec but I couldn't get a trade in (not an issue for Coastcut) and the motor was far too expensive against the Yamahas. I also priced a Tohatsu 50 HPDI but again no trade-in and far too expensive.
The 60 2s Yamaha turns the big 13" diameter prop where the 4s(non-high-thrust) turns the smaller prop. My boat is a Webster Twinfisher and as the prop works in the tunnel in disturbed water the bigger prop offers better grip. I did ask on the chats about this issue but no replies. I have spoken to another Webster owner with a smaller motor/prop and he had slippage problems where mine is trouble-free.
All you four stroke owners, did you actually try a 2s or how long has it been since you tried a self-mixing 2s?
I have had a mate on board (an experienced boater who owned a four stroke) who complimented me on how quite the four stroke motor was my boat.

COASTCUT
19-04-2012, 05:07 PM
thanks everyone for the replies but i am still very confused about this issue. i would love to buy a bigger boat but for my thirty thousand max budget but cant find anything i like for that price.the reason that i want to buy a boat before the weekend is that ive had the money for 4 weeks and its driving me mad that i havnt bought a boat yet.ive looked at alot of second hand boats but would prefer to buy brand new. ive had a good look at the 450 escape and like it. i think for my first boat its not a bad choice.the dealer says that he prefers the 2st better and i know he will earn more money for the 4st but im still unsure.

Andy56
19-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Fed does have a point. Have a straw poll here and you will find most people have had more than one boat for this very same reason. I went from a 470 escape to a 543rf sig BECAUSE for two fishing it was great but with the family on board, just didn't cut it. I too looked second hand and found nothing at the time. But you have to start somewhere and I guarantee that after 12months you will be looking elsewhere. Do you know anyone who owns a boat who can guide you through this period of angst.
I know that when I look through the classifieds now, I always spot at least 3-5 good s/h boats. You can learn the hard way or you can learn from other's mistakes, either way you pay, lol
I lost $4000 in 12 months when I sold the 470, do you sacfrifice short term happiness for long term pain? Are you thoroughly confused and pissed off yet? I feel your pain

SunnyCoastMark
19-04-2012, 07:36 PM
CoastCut - mate - don't rush into buying aboat just because you have the money. Having a look around and doing the research is half the fun.

Try hiring a couple of boats to get a feel for them - BOAB have a couple of smaller rigs that you can try out plus any number of hire place that mey only have small motors - but you will get a pretty good idea of space requirements.
With 3 little ones - you are going to need space and a cabin where they can crash and or play.

My smaller boat is a 4.5m quintrex Centre console with 50hp 2 stroke. and fishes 2 people perfectly. 3 is OK - but starting to get a bit crowded - and 4 is a Pain.

For 30 grand you should be able to pick up something in the 5-5.5m range with low hours. There are a lot of people out there who are lucky if their boat does 20 hours in a year.

Food for thought............

Mark

bobbyb
19-04-2012, 09:05 PM
mate if you can find another 5 grand look on ebay, i think i saw a brand new 545 cenrte consile plate boat on trailer with new 100hp 4 stroke zuki. i think some thing like this would be a far better investment and a lot safer for the family.

geoffmck
19-04-2012, 10:34 PM
$30,000 will get you a new 475 or 490 Escape with a 2 stroke. It might not seem like much of a difference in length but increased width and depth that goes with it makes for a much bigger boat. There are heaps on Boatpoint at the moment, just shop around.