PDA

View Full Version : Replacing cable steering with hydraulic steering on a 6.2m Kevlacat

No Excuses
18-04-2012, 12:42 PM
My Kevlacat 6.2 Prosport has the original cable steering and it's gotta go. Has anyone got any advice on what sort of hydraulic kit they have fitted to a similar boat or know what type of unit is on their boat. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Noelm
18-04-2012, 01:41 PM
The Seastar "catamaran" double ended ram might work, if you can fit it, failing that, the twin bullhorn (front mount) with the valve in the middle is what I have seen on lots of them.

Spiderpig
18-04-2012, 08:11 PM
My KC 2400 has a hydrive double ended ram mounted between the engines.

Smithy
18-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Hydrive over Seastar.

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Hydrive over Seastar.

Why?

I have never had a problem with Seastar (or Hydrive)

Cheers

Pete

wrxhoon
18-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Hydrive every time, Aussie made , brass cylinder will never corrode and will last longer .

I must say I do prefer the seastar helm and seastar kevlar tube over the Hydrive .

I had both in different boats over the years , the seastar cylinder after several years on the salt paint peels off the hydrive never will.

I have to say I never had one of the fail, not saying they don't because eventualy some will leak.

Smithy
19-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Drove a new Striper the other day with a Seastar. Jimmy did a fair bit of the fitup. That was his comment. That was good enough for me. I found the helm really stiff and slow lock to lock. Not silky smooth like you might expect for something brand new.

Mister
19-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Double ended "catamaran" ram? Typically mounted upside/down so consider carefully how you are going to bleed the thing?

Anyway what's wrong with your cable? Whatever you do keep the tie-bar, backward step if you don't.

Noelm
20-04-2012, 02:38 PM
dont think the Kcats had a tie bar, the cable was (I think) a twin setup and had seperate cables for each motor without a tie bar. easy to bleed them, especially if you "power bleed" them.

Mister
20-04-2012, 04:51 PM
dont think the Kcats had a tie bar, the cable was (I think) a twin setup and had seperate cables for each motor without a tie bar. easy to bleed them, especially if you "power bleed" them.

I must have it all wrong then?

OPTI
20-04-2012, 05:14 PM
twin bull horn with link valve ,sea star of hy drive you carnt go wrong ,but definatly use the sea star hoses either way.

Mister
20-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Why a bull horn? This is a small catamaran isn't it? Wouldn't a bull horn hang out the side and could be subject to being "bumped"? Why not a front mount, no overhang?

OPTI
20-04-2012, 06:53 PM
bull horn wont hang out anyfurther than a front mount ,you sure you not getting confused with a side mount