PDA

View Full Version : electric start and power tilt and trim

mattttty
16-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey going to buy my first Tinnie 4.2m just wondering if electric start and power tilt and trim worth the extra money on a 40 hp 2 stroke mercury thanks

Linedropper
16-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes. Trim and tilt is for sure but electric start can be very handy too.

Stik-ugly
16-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I have a 4.2 tinny with 40 hp four stroke merc with electric start and trim and tilt and it's like American Express ,"I wouldn't leave home with out it"

Jarrah Jack
16-04-2012, 08:14 PM
If your young and energetic and have a good back and little money then go with the no thrills but if your old and decrepit or even middle aged and smart, or just plain smart, then the tilt and trim and electric start are the only way to go.

Drifty75
16-04-2012, 08:19 PM
If your young and energetic and have a good back and little money then go with the no thrills but if your old and decrepit or even middle aged and smart, or just plain smart, then the tilt and trim and electric start are the only way to go.

I must agree with this. I'm not that old, and my outboard is easy to start.. (one pull even from stone cold)

I'm looking at a new boat as well, and while I'm still able to start mine, and my fathers with ease, I know it's going to get harder. Also with the type of fishing I do, I am always on shallow-water-drive so elec trim/tilt would be awesome to have. However, money is the issue for me, so I'll be getting a no-frills outboard setup when I do.

Plus I'm of the opinion that the less shit you have, the less shit can go wrong.

Edit: Also, doesn't matter if the battery goes flat... ;)

geoffmck
16-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Yes, absolutely worth the money. The ability to trim the boat to suit conditions on the go is something I would not want to be without. Electric start is pretty much the norm now, I don't think I could ever go back to manual.

merseybluenose
16-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Was recently in the same boat as you until a friend recommended waiting to get a seconhand rig with power trim+tilt and elec start......so glad I listened, you won't be disappointed.

choppa
16-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I must agree with this. I'm not that old, and my outboard is easy to start.. (one pull even from stone cold)

I'm looking at a new boat as well, and while I'm still able to start mine, and my fathers with ease, I know it's going to get harder. Also with the type of fishing I do, I am always on shallow-water-drive so elec trim/tilt would be awesome to have. However, money is the issue for me, so I'll be getting a no-frills outboard setup when I do.

Plus I'm of the opinion that the less shit you have, the less shit can go wrong.

Edit: Also, doesn't matter if the battery goes flat... ;)

aren't "most" 30-40 hp avail in elec/pull start,,,, or just Merc's,,,,(never really looked that hard at em)

Chas & Clarry
16-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I am another one who thinks it is absolutely worth it, and electric start of course.

First boat & motor, I was 21ish...boat about 4m...motor 25hp no electric start, trim or tilt..no biggie
Second boat & Motor I was about 27...boat 4.3m motor 40hp Evenrude electric start but not trim or tilt...gas assisted lift though. Big improvement on previous set up
Third Motor...I was about 49...same boat, but 40 HP yammy with electric start and trim and tilt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better, so easy to tweek on the go...so easy coming ashore, etc etc, no need to leave the console, no effort involved

weekendfisher
16-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Electric for sure even if just purely for the convenience and ease of use.
It makes for a much nicer day out when you can throw the boat in the water press a switch and the motor drops into the water and then turn a key and its started.
Previously i had a 55HP electric start with no power tilt/trim while it was not a big deal for me to pull the motor up but it was awkward and unpleasant now on my new boat its power everything and i would not go back.
And if the battery dies you can still pull start them however if your motor is running well and starts quickly you should very rarely see a flat unless you run accessories from the starting battery or the battery craps its self.
If you don't get it now you will end up regretting it and find yourself looking for a tilt and trim unit to fit to it later on.

novice23
17-04-2012, 01:37 PM
YES! the benefits outway the costs by a mile.
You'll regret it if tight-arse on this one.
If you don't know what you're missing out on - go for a trip with someone with power t/t & e/start.