PDA

View Full Version : Requirements to lift 200kg motor

mikeyh
15-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Hello all,
Finally got around to making a lifting bracket to screw into the flywheel for my 150 Opti...motor was fitted way too low but because I have to fit a plate to shim it out, the whole motor has to come off. Motor weighs 205kg. Outside of a crane, engine lifter etc, what could you use? Would be great if I could do it at home. I live in a high set Qlder...if you put a block and tackle next to a steel post...you get the idea. Other possibilities...otherwise I will have to find a strong steel beam somewhere.
Cheers, Mike

Chimo
15-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Mike
Can you back the boat so at least the motor is under the house so you can hang your block off a floor joist or similar? The more stable the thing you hang off the better and better still if its directly above. You can still fine tune transom to motor relationship with the jockey wheel. Mack sure to chock the trailer wheels when you in the "sweet" spot.

Actually a cable lever pulley with the ratchet releases would be better and safer. That is what I used to lift my two 115s as I also took them completely off to fit an extra sheet of spacer so I could get the motors past the lip on top of the Seafarer transom. Pity your not closer or you could have borrowed the unit.

Maybe check out the autoparts or similar price on these units as they are always handy to have.

Cheers
Chimo

PS This is similar to what I use http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/457668944/10_20KN_ratchet_hand_wrenching_chain.html

WalrusLike
15-04-2012, 08:20 AM
There is another recent thread about lifting a motor. Its got tips about doing it yourself.

Basically if you can place a block of timber under the skeg, and assuming the skeg can take the motors weight, then you only need to secure the ob from toppling and use the jockey wheel to move the boat while the motor stays still. I assume ropes to strong points above would stop the toppling.

I've never done it and can't recommend it because it could be dangerous.

WalrusLike
15-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Ah..... Chimo beat me and has better knowledge.

BigE
15-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Just use some chocks under the leg to support the motor and the jockey wheel to raise or lower the hull. I have seen guys use the sidewalk gutter to support the leg which is ok if it is not concrete which is a bit rough on the leg. Get some longer bolts so the motor can be held straight and the required space created between the hull and the motor. do one "wedge" at a time while the opposing side is held straight by the bolts in the other side.

BigE

STUIE63
15-04-2012, 08:29 AM
i have a come along you can borrow pm for my number

tunaticer
15-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Hire a engine lift from one of the hire mobs, they are not expensive for a day. At least this way it is much more mobile for refitting at the right height.
Be careful using floor joists and or bearers for lifting from, they are not designed to suspend 1/4 of a tonne.

As with any lifting, be sure of your brackets, cradles, shackles and chains are up to the job, plenty of hardware galv chain is not sufficient for load bearing.

If you are going to use a lever block, use a chain one not a cable one, much less chances of problems.

Jarrah Jack
15-04-2012, 09:05 AM
When I had to remove my motor I took a slab to the local mechanic and borrowed his engine hoist. Being made for the job made it easier and safer if you haven't done it before. I've used bearers for the car motor and so long as you put a prop up each side of the boat and the bearers in good nick you should be fine.

johncar
15-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I have done the leg on the floor and use the jockey wheel method when it just involved altering the height as two bolts stay on the bracket and only loosened enough to all the bracket to slide up or down in the slots but I have stabilised the powerhead so it couldn't tip to either side.
If you are going to completely disconnect it then I would recommend some type of hoist to have better control over it. 200KG is not a huge amount of weight but still take the usual precautions.

mikeyh
15-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Many thanks to all for the suggestions. In no particular order..tunaticer, yes that's what I was thinking too...dont want to pull the house down and smash the motor. I am in Chimo's situation...once I lift motor I have to shim to clear the lip on the transom.....so it has to come right off...cant move it back on the bolts. I used to be in the motor trade in NSW but didnt think an engine lift would go high enough......not sure what you mean Jarrah...does the lift sit on the gunwhales (or car guards?). Will try and get a chain block and tackle and will check out the hire places. Stuie...what is a comealong?
Cheers fellas....Mike

STUIE63
15-04-2012, 10:21 AM
chain lever block
like this but 500kg http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/chain-block/beaver-handi-pro-chain-lever-block-250kg-capacity.html
always knew then as come alongs

Jarrah Jack
15-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry Mike What I meant was that if you were to put a chain block on a bearer you can put a prop under the bearer at each side of the boat, so you are supporting the bearer that is taking the weight.
The prop need only be some strong 4x2 jammed up underneath the bearer. Hope that makes sense.

mikeyh
15-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks Jarrah...now I am with you. Stuie....willpm you. Thanks for generous offer

wrxhoon
15-04-2012, 08:47 PM
You can buy the lifting brackets/flywheel pullers in USA for about $35 .

I pulled a few engines off boats over the years, either to replace them lift/drop them or install a new steering.

I use a 2 t block and tackle and I hang it from the concrete slab above or if the boat is under 3 mtrs high from the concrete beam inside my garage. I have an engine crane but never used it to lift outboards, I don't even know if it will lift that high.

I will be lifting a 250 hp Yammie in June ( same way) when my new boat arrives to replace it with a new 250 Opti.