PDA

View Full Version : Couple of blacks!!

tinsanity
14-04-2012, 03:40 PM
caught a couple of blacks a few weeks ago wide of moreton went 4.3.2.2 all on fish of similar size,the boys are out in the billfish tournament this weekend and im confident they will do well!BTW both fish were successfully released and were both our first landed marlin and that being the reason they were brought on board for a quick photo.The skipper called them for around 300pounds,pics dont really do them justice though but still stoked nevertheless!

outta line
14-04-2012, 03:49 PM
nice solid fish mate...ive had the vhf on today listening in theres a few blues about today ..... wouldnt be pretty out there today... hopefully tomorrow is better so i can go for a run....cheers mick

outwide1
14-04-2012, 03:55 PM
The Gold coast game fishing club are holding there heavy tackle tournament today and tommorow.
Just about to head down to the marina and have a sticky beak.
Be interesting to see what by catch is weighed.
The second marlin looks like a blue??
No doubt someone like Smithy will have a better idea.
Mick

tinsanity
14-04-2012, 06:33 PM
the boys went 1 from 5 today landed first fish of the comp with a spearfish and also lost a 40kg yellowfin beside the boat

jeffo
15-04-2012, 07:10 AM
No blacks in those photos.....

Midnight
15-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Well done on a couple of nice fish, but they be Blue Martians.

outwide1
15-04-2012, 11:45 AM
No blacks in those photos.....
mmmmm.....just what i thought.

dicko56
15-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Too true mate..... both BLUE's

tinsanity
15-04-2012, 06:29 PM
oh really! im obviously no expert but thanks for the feedback the second pic being the one i caught was identical to the other upon first view but very quickly changed colours. How do you distinguish the two if i may ask?

Smithy
15-04-2012, 08:53 PM
The first fish especially has a very prominent anal fin and the bars going through it are a good give away. Also the head and bill shape. Is that on Makes Sense? I see the spearfish got DQed on oversize leader length. Costly mistake for beginners there.

tinsanity
15-04-2012, 09:00 PM
thanks for the feedback smithy.Yes it was on "makes sense" and i heard of their misfortunes,was there first billfish tournement and they where devastated about the leader debacle.just wasnt spose to be i guess they tagged another and lost a large billfish boatside today also

fish'n'chippy
15-04-2012, 09:06 PM
caught a couple of blacks a few weeks ago wide of moreton went 4.3.2.2 all on fish of similar size

two blue marlin
the scoring system is strikes, hookups, tags/captures. ie. you had 4 strikes, 3 hookups and 2 tags.
there are a few differences between blacks and blues, the dead giveaway for a black is that the pectoral fins can't fold against the body. others include a relatively shorter dorsal fin and also a shorter jaw.
http://www.gfaa.asn.au/species/species.htm