PDA

View Full Version : Surface lure with its own action??

bar raider
13-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi all, is there a walk the dog type lure that makes its own action?? For some reason I can't get the hang of the constant tiny twitch so I resort to the cicada type ones that have does its own walk when you wind in, but I get far fewer strikes than my mate that "walks the dog" with his surface lures..

It's probably lack of practice but it got me wondering what's out there.

Cheers ken.

TheSaint
13-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Mate to be honest it takes alittle bit to get use to when you first learn 'walk the dog' but you just need to stick it out.

If you need a lure that makes it's alittle easier to do get Megabass Dog-x jr.

Bad_Bazza
14-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Ken,
Try the following it may help. Can I say it is worth perservering with the learning process as when you get it working it all becomes worthwhile when that first big hit comes!
A couple of comments first on what I have found.

Firstly I have found with bass lures it is easier (for me anyway) to get the process working on a threadline than a baitcaster. With barra I have found the opposite.

Secondly to learn, slow right down and don't try to get a co-ordinated process going straight up. Build up to it by starting with a twitch then pause, pick up line and repeat the process.
As you get the "feel" for it gradually reduce the period of pause until it feels and looks right.

It would be better to try and learn when you are actually not trying to catch that way you can concentrate on technique rather than fish.

If you can get on a pool, dam or some water body away from fishing and practice it would help as you can practice without the the distraction of fish!!
I hold my rod pointing to the water and with the rod at 90 degrees to the line. Again for me it is much easier to get the rythm going using this stance.

Some of the successful lures for this method are Luckycraft Sammy 65, Megabass Dox Jnr, Megabass PopX, Megabass Baby PopX and Mazzy Popper.
When you "get it" there are not too many surface lures that can't be walked if you want to operate them in this way.

Hope this information is of some help to you and that the fish start rolling in.

Bad_Bazza

bar raider
14-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys, some good info there.

I guess I have to persevere with it till i get it, no easy way out for me this time!!

Cheers ken

wrip109
15-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Look up linedancer on YouTube. I bought some for the kids and they actually work really well.

However you can do the same thing with your finger - Just need to work out placement.

Mike Delisser
15-04-2012, 10:27 PM
You'll find the longer the lure the easier it is to "walk the dog", esp if it's curved a little like a banana. Also if your having probs generating a good twitching rythem a shorter rod will help.
Cheers

Yellowjack
15-04-2012, 10:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNmdHCiJZVA

Mate this might be what your after, i got a pair and they work, however i prefer my own technique!
But if your after something pretty cheap these might be what your after!

Cheers,
Jack

Yellowjack
15-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Any Jitterbug also has its own side to side moving motion and its a simple retieve with no technique required

http://www.atomicmall.com/cpic/36/20514-1322448687.jpg

i use them for bass and they are pretty dynamite

Cheers,
Jack

bar raider
16-04-2012, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNmdHCiJZVA

Mate this might be what your after, i got a pair and they work, however i prefer my own technique!
But if your after something pretty cheap these might be what your after!

Cheers,
Jack

Looks interesting, has got me thinking.

bar raider
16-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Any Jitterbug also has its own side to side moving motion and its a simple retieve with no technique required

http://www.atomicmall.com/cpic/36/20514-1322448687.jpg

i use them for bass and they are pretty dynamite

Cheers,
Jack

Yeah I know and thats the kind I use now and the action looks great but I don't get many strikes and have NEVER hooked up and got one :(

Thanks for the replies guys.

BLOOEY
17-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Bar raider, are you tying a loop knot to your lure and how heavy a leader are you using. A loop will free it up and a thin mono leader wont sink on you like a flouro one, draging the nose of it under. Ben