PDA

View Full Version : Lifted motor - need transom support?

WalrusLike
13-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi guys, my motor has now been lifted a notch and I am wondering if it needs support on the top edge of the transom.

I think I see now why they fitted it where it was... That is the height it rests on top of the transom. But I believe that position has the motor too low.

I don't know whether the gel coat damage was done by the dealer initial install or by the marine mechanic while lifting. I will fix it with glass shortly.

I was thinking it might need a piece of timber under the motor bracket on top of the transom. It's a 115 Yammie two stroke on a Baysport 575.

Moonlighter
13-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi Walrus

No, you dont need anything under the bracket (on top of the transom) to support the engine. The engine bolts quite effectively and safely secure the motor to the hull and keep it there. My current boat has engine on top hole and there would be at least 35-40mm gap and its fine.

Chill out, it's all good!

ML

Noelm
13-04-2012, 02:20 PM
yeah, what he said.

Nathan Tuskes
13-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Yep that's perfectly normal....can't you just repair the gel coat or has it damaged the fiberglass under neath

WalrusLike
13-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks fellas. I was just out so I dropped in to the marine mechanics that did the lift and asked them. (hadn't seen your replies)

They said no worries... I could take two of the four bolts out and it still would be ok.

Talking to them it must have been the dealer that binged the gelcoat. They had it on a hoist before undoing anything and then lifted one hole and resucured. So no downward movement at all. Before talking to them I saw that it was right where the motor brackets sat originally so i was thinking its probably been there from the start I just couldn't see it under the motor bracket.

I bought some Boatcare Gelcoat Repair Filler from BCF. The can says it hardens brilliant white. So that should be fine.

WalrusLike
14-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Boat seems a bit more lively now. The cav plate is at or just under the surface when on the plane.

We had the full clears in apart from the rear. That was because it was raining sporadically. At speed we thought the new height was producing more spray because the rear seats were now suddenly a wet ride.

But on the way back we had the clears off and the rear seat was dry again. So i think it's misting from the low pressure behind the clears.