PDA

View Full Version : Police Boat Inspections, time and place

Floating Rib
10-04-2012, 07:46 AM
On return to Fisherman Island yesterday arvo about 4pm i was met by a big line of boats waiting to come out, lots of going in circles waiting for a spot at the pontoon, just as a spot clears on the back side of the pontoon in comes the Police RIB through all the traffic and moors there and takes the whole space, he then begins to carry out safety gear inspections. If the ramp wasnt allready a sh%t fight. I dont mind people doing their job but why wasnt he doing checks once the boats were out(maybe he isnt allowed) or back up the passage a bit, just adding to the chaos to me didnt seem too smart, Also he was harping on Lifejacket location stickers.
Fishing report- Trolled 2 thirds the length of Moreton yesterday for 1 bonito, thankfully it was a beautiful day, hope all you guys did better.
Cheers
Rib

Mrs Ronnie H
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi
We never even made it on the water yesterday until we had been breath tested, rego checked etc. Police were out at Spinnakers doing checks as you pulled in. Ramp was havoc and thanks to some ignorant shits on jet ski's had my first swim around them to get the boat off the ramp.
When are we going to get separate facilities for these or when will boaties have priority using ramps. ???

No water police or safety inspections but Marine Rescue was patrolling around.

Fishing-- Well lots of Sole and small flatties-- good size summer whiting still. Took 2 pots with us and one big sandie to top it off. Not much but a great day out.

Ronnie

johncar
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I think you were all very brave, I just drove down to the ramp to have a look and see if I felt like battling the crowd, but opted out, just looked too crazy and I don't seem to have the patience for it these days. Looked like a great day and hats off to all who persisted and got out on the water. Hopefully will get out soon though

LittleSkipper
10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Would love to hear more stories of boaters experiences over the Easter break? Keep them coming!

Homer_Jay
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
What Knobs! I would love to know what they were thinking.

It sometimes seems as though police have lost commonsense.

Off topic
My brother was booked a couple of weeks ago for using a mobile phone.
We were sitting in traffic (stopped) he was on the hands free (doing the right thing) the phone was going flat, so he picked it up and plugged the charger lead in (other end was already in the ciggy socket) the motorbike cop sees this and poceeded to book him for using a phone. WTF??
Where is the commonsense that the old "country cop" used to use??

These people wonder why they have a bad name in the community??? Wouldnt take a genius to work it out!

All this and the real crims just get away with anything.

I will get off my soapbox now, before I say something I shouldnt!

Mr__Bean
10-04-2012, 12:08 PM
When are we going to get separate facilities for these or when will boaties have
priority using ramps. ???

Why should boats get priority at the ramp over jetskis?

Darren

thelump
10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Would love to hear more stories of boaters experiences over the Easter break? Keep them coming!

Left Weinam Creek at Redland Bay yesterday arvo to drop the Mrs and kids down to Tipplers to camp for the next few days. It was the usual story there with people not using the pontoon and just driving their boat onto the ramp and getting out and walking up to get there car. The others doing the right thing had to then wait around for the cue jumpers. Found it hard to launch because a tinny would pull into a lane as soon as it was vacant. Upon return late in the arvo it was nearly empty and a much easier mission even though I was solo. I wish people would use the pontoon for what it is designed for. Apart from that it was a lovely arvo for a boat ride. Found it hard to leave them at tipplers and head home so I could go to work today!

thelump
10-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Darren

X2. We are all doing it for the same reason. They have as much right as anyone as long as they abide by the rules of the ramp!

netmaker
10-04-2012, 12:26 PM
i was at peel thursday arv, friday arv and saturday morn. at mud saturday night, sunday morn and monday from 5am - 1pm and i did not see a police or fisheries patrol the whole time - including at the ramps.

fishfeeder
10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Only problem I have with the jet ski's at the ramp is when they take up more room then they need. I kindly asked one to move either left or right so I could pull up on the sand to retrieve...They were just standing around chatting to each other....
The stupid part was I had enough time to go get my vehicle and reverse down the ramp, get back in my boat start it and then drive it onto the trailer, the girlfriend did up the winch cable and I got out and put the safety chain on and drove out.... Both of the jet ski guys hadn't even went to get there vehicles and they were still parked on the sand just off the ramp in the FU$KING WAY !!!

Cheers

Floating Rib
10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I dont think its the type of craft or launch facilities that cause issues its just people who dont give a toss about others or maybe dont even consider what they are doing may make things difficult or others, yesterday id moved down the pontoon to the closest spot to the ramp and headed off to get the car, only away 1 minute and another guy had backed his trailer for the boat behind me(his car was closer to collect than mine i guess) down into where my boat was ready to retrieve, so now i have to take my boat out around his trailer, not a huge issue but always harder when by yourself, why dont people think, no wonder ramps get a bit of aggro at them occasionally.
Lump im hearing you about que jumpers, love how when i throttle down for an approach to the ramp you get guys blast past on full noise so they can beat you in.

WalrusLike
10-04-2012, 02:11 PM
i was at peel thursday arv, friday arv and saturday morn. at mud saturday night, sunday morn and monday from 5am - 1pm and i did not see a police or fisheries patrol the whole time - including at the ramps.

We were at Horseshoe Bay on Sunday and Monday and they had a huge grey Police cat there the whole time. Think it was a mother ship for a couple of launches. Not sure because we were at eastern end and they were western end.

They cruised through the mini city of boats a couple of times. Didn't come close or seem to check anything.

Jarrah Jack
10-04-2012, 02:48 PM
The police spent a lot of time down my local beach drug testing all the surfies when they rocked up in their cars. I think there was a bit of widespread panic and a few mobile calls. Some of the boys may never make it there again as they say it takes 24 hours for the reading to go right down. Some of them would be lucky to go 24 minutes.:)

Still_Dreamin
10-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I was fishing the pumicestone passage each day over the weekend and saw the grey police rib each day. Only about half the boats obeyed the various 6 knots zones. Nearly had one boat rear end me whilst I was doing 6 knots in front of the power boat club. Had another complete a hole come into the bells creek boat ramp that fast his wash as he powered down of the plane lifted my boat sideways on the trailer after I had just driven it on. Had to reverse off and do it again. That said majority were doing the right thing even the jetskis.

Kero
10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
A couple of weeks ago the police were at Spinnaker doing breath and saftey gear checks, which is fine with me. What amazed me was, they wanted to breath test me, just as I'd released the saftey chain and winch. I had already given the the boat a shove to start it's way down the trailer, when this bloke waves a breatho in front of my face... I mean c'mon.

I told him that I had my hands full (he obviously couldn't tell) and to wait until I'd moved the boat over to the sand and moved the car off the ramp. I blew zero, produced every item that was asked of me and sent on my way. They checked everything but negleted to check my licence and boat rego.

I have nothing against the guys and gals in blue, but some common sense doesn't astray in situations like that.

I have a routine that I go through at the ramp, and interuptions to this train of thought can lead to disaster if things are not done.

two dogs
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
put in fri morn at scarby, spent the weekend at the blue hole, returned mon lunch time. ramp was fine, no waiting, one guy did pull out when we were leaving and parked right in front of us. Saw no police, maybe one fisheries rib but he blew right on past up tangas way

googarra
10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Someone actually was pulling their boat onto a trailer when I went out the other afternoon about 3.00 pm, guy from down the road, had to wait about 3 minutes. Said it was glassed out for 50kms out.

Very unusual, never really see anyone else on a two lane ramp with floating plastic thingy whatever it is that we use at Hull Heads. I had to drive over 30 metres to get a park, about 50 vacant.

Coming home at 8.00 am wasn't so bad, no one else was there so I did not have to wait.

I would loose the plot down south and go directly to Jail without passing go.

googarra
10-04-2012, 07:37 PM
On the downside, if I get into trouble, im all on my own. Its a lonely big reef and no one to help, I may get a VHF signal to someone, maybe, or just hit the bunks and wait.

Crowded may have just a little up side about it.

Marlin_Mike
10-04-2012, 07:45 PM
We were at Horseshoe Bay on Sunday and Monday and they had a huge grey Police cat there the whole time. Think it was a mother ship for a couple of launches. Not sure because we were at eastern end and they were western end.

They cruised through the mini city of boats a couple of times. Didn't come close or seem to check anything.

That was the Brett Handran, their big vessel.

Mike

googarra
10-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, me again, I did break down about 2 years ago, posted a thread about it. Lucky I was only about 15 kms out, about 5 kms east of Dunk Island. Just a great stroke of luck that a trawler, rare here, was working the area VHF got him so he rang home for us and arranged a tow for the next day, bit off subject, but hey. had a few drinks after the full on working Easter.

bigjudge
11-04-2012, 07:37 AM
mate told me at work of whats going on in townsville,story goes that as a car tralier or ute back that has any sort of load has to be covered so does any open part of a boat,they were booking at the ramp $70 per item deemed to be (loose or not secured) one bloke had $350 in fines before he even hit the water,eg rod lying on floor loose item, if anyone can put some truth to this it would be good to know.Sounds like the easiest way is cheap tarp over any open area.
CHEERS AND BEERS.

wags on the water
11-04-2012, 08:52 AM
mate told me at work of whats going on in townsville,story goes that as a car tralier or ute back that has any sort of load has to be covered so does any open part of a boat,they were booking at the ramp $70 per item deemed to be (loose or not secured) one bloke had $350 in fines before he even hit the water,eg rod lying on floor loose item, if anyone can put some truth to this it would be good to know.Sounds like the easiest way is cheap tarp over any open area.
CHEERS AND BEERS.

A cargo net is needed when you place anything in the back of a ute, unless it is secure. Ratchet straps are to be used instead of rope.

Fed
11-04-2012, 09:06 AM
There wouldn't be a boat in Australia that didn't have loose stuff in it, I'd have to mortgage the house at $70 per loose item.

fishfeeder
11-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Wags. "Ratchet straps are to be used instead of rope"

I find that hard to follow, I have had Ratchet straps brake or work loose and if I am going a long way on rough roads I always use a rope as backup to the ratchet straps.. This is to tie Dirtbikes on a trailer, Nearly lost my bike off the back once due to a faulty Ratchet strap and I am not talking about the cheap crappy ones either...

So is it law that you have to cover the back of your boat with something while traveling ??? Never heard of this before and never seen it being done...

Cheers
Brett

wags on the water
11-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Not the boat Brett, but you need to cover loose items in the back of a ute or trailer. And yep the ratchet straps will break (as I explained to the officer the other week) when he cautioned me on using rope to tie rubbish down in the trailer.

Cheers.

LittleSkipper
11-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Sounds like more revenue raising? ::)

wags on the water
11-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Sounds like more revenue raising? ::)

If something flew/bounced out the back of the vehicle in front of me I'd get p!ssed off real quick - so I'd like to think of it as a safety concern - now as far as the rope/ratchet strap debate, I've seen some people using pretty dodgy rope too.

fishfeeder
11-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Wags, I was referring to Big judge's post about some guy getting booked for loose items in his boat... that's where my question about if the back of the boat needs to be covered while traveling.. I haven't read anything in the magazines or on here about it before...

I don't trust the ratchet straps any more and only use top quality pull down straps now... sure got the heart pumping seeing the bike hanging off the side of the trailer while doing 100km/h down the freeway !!

Cheers

Haji-Baba
11-04-2012, 09:54 AM
There is no law that states "ratchet straps" must be used instead of ropes.

None that I can find anyway.

I spent ages looking for these "rules" some time back. There was nothing to say you could not use rope.

Australia wide. Correct me if you will.

There are statements referring to security of goods on roof racks etc. most probably because of the quality of tie down and method used. And yes straps do break, get worn and cut, same as rope.

I still use rope, good quality, (4 of) on my car topper tinnie, , and have done so for better than 100,000 km. No problems at all.

Security of any item on your vehicle is very important and does vary from driver to driver.

Just look at some of the loads going to your local dump.

Items not adequatly secured on any vehicle will cause safety concerns particularly on open highways.

As for police inspections, they have a job to do, as for reveune raising, I sometimes think we need more, look at the idiots at school zones, on the highways, on the water, at the ramps the list goes on and on. Look around you some time.

Common sense, yes, lets all use a little bit more and things can only get better.

Rant over feel a little bit better now.

Have Fun Haji-Baba.

wags on the water
11-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Brett, I know what it's like to see the bike not tied down anymore - heart skips a few beats.

wags on the water
11-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Why are you ranting?? A general discussion between members - he said she said - and my experiences with the law. No need for anyone's blood pressure to rise....

WalrusLike
11-04-2012, 10:46 AM
My 5.75 glass boat trailer has two points at rear to attach short straps to for holding the bum down. But I recently noticed it also has loops on front of guard assembly to attach to.

So since I don't trust straps entirely I am going to get a long heavy duty ratchet strap and run that over the top of the gunnel, across and down to the other wheel. That way I have two systems in case one fails.

As for loose items.... Anything with any weight placed on the floor of the boat isn't going to end up on the highway unless I roll the rig. That's just silly. Unless you are talking about a small light weight bouncing tinny.

Having said that... I would like to get a travel cover for the boat for those on and off rainy days that I want to try my luck with. That way the boat is dry when it gets to the ramp. Bimini then goes up and we have a chance of dry seats.

Mrs Ronnie H
11-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Darren

Like I said -- ignorant shits with no regard for anyone but themselves. If they were courteous like we are then i don't have a problem. Don't get me wrong-- most are courteous but these 4 were not.
How hard is it to do what everyone else was doing -- everyone was moving there boats down the line away from the edge of the ramp along the beach-- these guys just pulled their skis on to the beach- went and parked there trailers in whoop whoop and took there time i might add while everyone had to wait for a clear bit of beach.

Just some manners and courtesy would be nice is all i am saying.

Ronnie

fishfeeder
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Back on to the topic the thread started with......

I would think the cops (sorry Police) should have been out doing there inspections in the morning when people are launching, what's the point in checking after they have spent the day on the water, shouldn't the safety side be enforced before they go boating not after ???

Not hard to setup an inspection station in the rigging area, normally you need to sit and wait for your turn anyway !!

Cheers

Moonlighter
11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I was on the Bay Saturday and Monday.

Saturday morning the Marine Parks cat was hanging around over the back of Peel near Cucumber PT. I had some pots set near the go slow zone and shortly after I arrived they came past and were obviously checking my location vis a vis the GS zone, I cheerily waved at them because I knew I was about 30m outside and they couldn't touch me.

Heard later that they booked several boats for being on the plane inside the GS zone. The local pro crabber was warning people as he went past.

Later we were in the Rous and saw their rubber ducky chasing another boat that had been going on the plane in the GS zone that covers the track fro the Rous to Reeders.

Then on Monday I was battling a good fish on the SP gear and the fisheries boat wen past and proceeded to check safety gear on several nearby boats.

But all the time, I felt so much safer because I now have a 75mm x 20mm sign that shows me where my lifejackets are stored. And it only cost me $10 from BIAS so that made me feel even better. I am so thankful that our wonderful Labor Govt passed these vital new laws that will save untold lives, before they were tufted out of office. Sleep easy, ex-labor MPs, your work is done.

Cheers

ML

googarra
11-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Referring to previous posts ___

This back of ute and rachet straps instead of ropes rule or rumor is spreading fast up here, everyone I see in this rural area is using them because of copping fines, along with a mesh cover, except me, I like my ropes but have not been pulled over yet.

I know of one incident where a custom trailer designed for a mowing contractor with everything perfectly secured was looked at and everything was great, but they fined him for having his lunch box esky in the back of the ute unsecured.

What the hell is this country coming to if an aussie guy cannot drive around with his gear in the back of the ute, like what has been done for the past 50 years.

I would like to know what the statistics are for incidents causing damage or injury from utes, I bet there would be no measuarable amount.

Boats would be treated the same as a ute or trailer carrying a load, I never thought about boats in this catagory before, unsecured and cop a fine.

Mine would be worth $1000, 200 litre esky on ali frame, a bait tray full of goodies would be the worst, if my boat went over I could wipe out an army coming the other way, but what are the stats on this, nothing, just crap enforcement that achieves nothing but putting everybody offside.

bigbrian47
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
a few years ago my BIL bought a boat off a water police officer ( now a senior one)
we put in at manly for a test run and he was using rope as a tiedown

Haji-Baba
11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
As I said before, find the rule about tie down ropes / straps.

This topic came up on a caravan forum some time back and there was no mention of straps versus ropes in all the literature I could access.

The point about security of goods carried got a lot of mention.

Particularly tinnies carried on roof racks.

The other factor is, that in most cases, tie down straps may be designated for a safe working load. Probably indicated on the plastic packaging packet.

Ropes have the same definations but may be harder to find.

The safety of both will vary with age and usage.

How many of us have used the old blue Telecom rope for every purpose?

It simply boils down to common sense to me, try to do the right thing, secure your load and have a good day.

Have fun Haji-Baba

truth stretcher
16-04-2012, 07:47 PM
But all the time, I felt so much safer because I now have a 75mm x 20mm sign that shows me where my lifejackets are stored.

ML

I didn't even know this was now law , working away and no time spent on ausfish may have cost me $200 if I hadn't read this post.
ML I owe you a beer.
If my wife gets up me for 'spending too much time on that bloody computer' when I get home I can now say I am in fact saving money.

bigjimg
16-04-2012, 08:38 PM
To this day i have never seen the water police at the ramps of the MBTBC.I launched and retrieved there on Easter Monday and never had a problem with a crowd of any sort.For me it is money well spent for the convenience of plenty of pontoon real estate to tie up on etc etc.As for lifejackets just pull them out of their hiding place,inspect them and leave them in a accessible area,no need for the sign then is there.Just stow when off the water.Jim

Grand_Marlin
16-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Mass, Dimensions and Loading)

Regulation 2005

Page 98 Reprint 3 effective 1 July 2011
Schedule 7 Loading requirements
Section 39

1 Loading

(1) A load on a vehicle must not be placed in a way that makes

the vehicle unstable or unsafe.

(2) A load on a vehicle must be secured so it is unlikely to fall or

be dislodged from the vehicle.

(3) An appropriate method must be used to restrain the load on a

vehicle.

Editor’s note

See the ‘Load restraint guide’ for examples of safe ways of loading

vehicles. The ‘Load restraint guide’ is published by the National

Transport Commission and may be accessed on the commission’s

website at www.ntc.gov.au (http://www.ntc.gov.au).

http://www.ntc.gov.au/viewpage.aspx?AreaId=35&DocumentId=862

Fallen angel
16-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Just to back up Grand_Marin

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/IntroductionLRGDec2004.pdf

Charlie
16-04-2012, 10:49 PM
"The Load Restraint Guide (LRG) provides transport drivers, operators, and other participants in the transport chain such as freight consignors, as well as vehicle and equipment manufacturers and suppliers with basic safety principles which should be followed for the safe carriage of loads on road vehicles."
It's very doubtful this would be applied to private vehicle although you never know as these days.

Grand_Marlin
17-04-2012, 07:26 AM
"The Load Restraint Guide (LRG) provides transport drivers, operators, and other participants in the transport chain such as freight consignors, as well as vehicle and equipment manufacturers and suppliers with basic safety principles which should be followed for the safe carriage of loads on road vehicles."
It's very doubtful this would be applied to private vehicle although you never know as these days.

As I listed in my last post, the Queensland Legislation outlines what is expected with carrying loads.
It then calls up the Load Restraint Guide for specifics on how to best manage the risk / task at hand.

It is law, it applies to all.

Cheers

Pete

AnthonyL
17-04-2012, 09:13 AM
To this day i have never seen the water police at the ramps of the MBTBC.I launched and retrieved there on Easter Monday and never had a problem with a crowd of any sort.For me it is money well spent for the convenience of plenty of pontoon real estate to tie up on etc etc.As for lifejackets just pull them out of their hiding place,inspect them and leave them in a accessible area,no need for the sign then is there.Just stow when off the water.Jim

I agree with you about money well spent at MBTBC, we were saying how relaxed it was there for a public holiday. It makes the start and end of your trip more relaxing.

finga
17-04-2012, 01:07 PM
As I said before, find the rule about tie down ropes / straps.

This topic came up on a caravan forum some time back and there was no mention of straps versus ropes in all the literature I could access.

The point about security of goods carried got a lot of mention.

Particularly tinnies carried on roof racks.

The other factor is, that in most cases, tie down straps may be designated for a safe working load. Probably indicated on the plastic packaging packet.

Ropes have the same definations but may be harder to find.

The safety of both will vary with age and usage.

How many of us have used the old blue Telecom rope for every purpose?

It simply boils down to common sense to me, try to do the right thing, secure your load and have a good day.

Have fun Haji-Baba
:D/ I love my parramatta rope but now-a-days I use both the rope and ratchets.
I use ropes as a securing method as a lot of stuff I carry cannot be secured unless 67 ratchets are used and the couple of ratchets is insurance from the boys in blue.
The 2,000kg, 50mmX9m ones are cheap as chips now. Last 4 I got were $14 each from the local engineering supply place.

But back to the topic. Which is worse....coppers upsetting your day a smidge or no coppers full-stop??

Si
17-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Does this mean i cant even put my dog in the back of my ute unless i ratchet him to the wheel arch?

truth stretcher
18-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Been working out Roma way , transport guys are pretty fierce out there.
Got one of the blokes I work with for one bolt sitting on his tray ( I realise not safe but would have been missed in the post job cleanup).
Another guy apparantly got an unsecured fine for a pair of workboots sitting on his back seat.
They were pinning a lot of people in dual cabs for stuff inside 'unsecured'.

Si
19-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Been working out Roma way , transport guys are pretty fierce out there.
Got one of the blokes I work with for one bolt sitting on his tray ( I realise not safe but would have been missed in the post job cleanup).
Another guy apparantly got an unsecured fine for a pair of workboots sitting on his back seat.
They were pinning a lot of people in dual cabs for stuff inside 'unsecured'.

Thats over the top and only just proves to me its revenue raising. What a nanny state we live in these days.

Triple
19-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Back on to the topic the thread started with......

I would think the cops (sorry Police) should have been out doing there inspections in the morning when people are launching, what's the point in checking after they have spent the day on the water, shouldn't the safety side be enforced before they go boating not after ???

Not hard to setup an inspection station in the rigging area, normally you need to sit and wait for your turn anyway !!

Cheers

They would have to wait till you launched before they can fine you.. No requirement for all the safety gear etc in the boat on the trailer.

choppa
19-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Spinnaker Marina Ramp has been mentioned here a fair bit,,,, in regards to Water Police,,, it should be it's their designated training ramp,,,,

the glory of Bribie allows those days when you see the ramp chock a block full,,, you can go to plan B,,,

Ningi Creek ramp (top end) ,, tinnies

VMR ramp,,, all boats

Banksia Beach ramp,,, all boats

Bongaree ramp,, all boats

Spinnaker Marina Ramp No 2,,,, all boats,,, It's funny that both these ramps at Spinnaker sit basically 100 metres apart as the crow flies,,, everyone uses the Main Ramp if thats where they departed from to reload the boat "even on the busiest of days",,, whilst poor old No 2 sits empty????

choppa

fishfeeder
19-04-2012, 03:22 PM
They would have to wait till you launched before they can fine you.. No requirement for all the safety gear etc in the boat on the trailer.

If they were there to just write fines then your totally right...
But it would stop the boat leaving with wrong safety gear or no rego.. etc.

I would think in that case the police would have done there job and kept a lot of unknowing people safe and would get the right information out to the boating public !!

wacoaus
28-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Thats over the top and only just proves to me its revenue raising. What a nanny state we live in these days.

Its been like it for a while. Middle of last year one of the fitters from work was heading home to Mackay when he got pulled up near Nebo and even though he had all his work gear (toolboxes etc) secured they booked him for an unrestrained load as he had a pair of rubber thongs laying in the tray. Dunno whether he gave them some lip to bring it on but goes to show what they can go after if they want.

Humdinger
28-04-2012, 07:12 PM
the rta in nsw can book you if you have more than 6 inches of strap hanging down . that is also called an insecure load

WalrusLike
28-04-2012, 08:01 PM
..... booked him for an unrestrained load as he had a pair of rubber thongs laying in the tray......

A good thing too! I feel much safer now knowing there are less thongs out there just waiting to fly through the air and give me a stinging slap on the face.

I would love to see a Minister For Common Sense with the power to overturn nonsense like that.

And while she is at it, maybe she could book those coppers for wasting my money with frivolous prosecutions because their sense of self importance was offended by his lack of subservience.

[rant mode off]. :)

cormorant
28-04-2012, 08:05 PM
the rta in nsw can book you if you have more than 6 inches of strap hanging down . that is also called an insecure load

That must be the Oxford street branch- no way I'm letting them check - I'm very inseure.;D