PDA

View Full Version : Good Saturday, good weather, good fish

outta line
09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Although there was 1.5 metres of easterly swell and big tides, I decided to head out the Tweed bar to stay away from Easter crowds in the seaway. The bar wasn't too bad on the run in but glad i have 200hp on the back for the cross on the run out tide. Through the bar and up to the bait grounds, sounded around for a while, no bait, so decided that lures would be the go for the morning. Trolling skirted hex-heads, second pass over my mark one of the rods starts screaming off, with only me on board (as my mate decided not to come) I started clearing the other lines but had to give up on that as I was just about spooled on the TLD15. While clearing the other lines and fighting the fish at the same time, the fish must have become tail-wrapped, with the amount of line out. It ended up with a bust off, and loss of lure - damn my favourite wahoo lure! Oh well, have to re-skirt a new one.

Another half hour trolling skirts with no results, decided to change to Halcos . Same spot, hook up again, only this time I was running two rods, not three - so it was more manageable clearing and then fighting the fish. After a decent fight, a nice hoo is boat side and on ice.

Ten more minutes, another pass, another hit but no hook up - lure comes back with teeth war wounds.

With no current and the wind dropping , I decided to run out to the 36's. First drop on my spot, second line down - doesn't get quite to the bottom and my first rod starts to buckle over. Start fighting that fish, get it half-way up, then the second line goes off. Get the first line to the top - nice 83cm snapper hits the deck. Start fighting the second fish, pearl perch at 55cm. Pulled the sea anchor in, had another drift over the same spot with the same result - double hook up, one person on board.

The weather kept getting better as the day went on, the drift slowed down to almost non-existent, with that the fish went off the bite. I fished out there for about 3 or 4 hours moved around a bit, got a few benito and smaller squire. Decided to head back in for a troll, a few more laps around with no results.

Glassed out conditions, nice run back to the bar, only to be greeted by the pressure waves and swell of crappy tweed bar - yet again. 787617876278763787647876578767 I dont mind fishing solo, but I really could have done with an extra set of hands this trip - let's just say my mate is kicking himself now.

TimiBoy
09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Sounds like MORE than fun. Looking forward to posting myself, soon...

thelump
10-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Great solo effort and a great feed to boot. well done mate.

Lancair
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Awesome solo effort.
I was busy in my alternate job on saturday and saw the sea conditions from a birds eye view and higher all day. Whilst I love my alt job (and its a job of love rather than money) on days when I can see boats out fishing in great conditions like saturday, Im torn as to where Id rather be.

Jakers 69
10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Was out on Tweed Sat morning as well for the 1st time, bar not bad with the incoming tide,but what a big differance coming back in on the outgoing tide.
Lost some halco lures on nine mile, lots of baitfish jumping all over the place.

hookinin
10-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a good result and always fun when you have multiple hook ups.
Gaven

lightsout76
10-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Bloody nice work there Mick, yeah the first Easter I choose to work in years and the conditions were great.
It's a shame you didn't get up to 1770 the weather's bound to get good up there one weekend for us surely.

Leon.

outta line
11-04-2012, 07:32 AM
jakers 69........mate you know what the tweed bar is all about now ....... just make shore you head in from the north and not across the bank in the middle....and watch the 9 mile in big swell it brakes on top of the reef.... cheers mick

Leon ..hows things mate... had to unpack the 1770 gear from the boat to go for a run on sat.....couldnt get a crew ..... it was wifeys b day on monday so got a few bonus brownie points by not going....lol...
any weekend after this is good for me mate .... maybe if we dont plane to go the weather will come good...who knows.....
talk soon mick

lightsout76
12-04-2012, 03:42 PM
I think you're right about the not planning idea Mick maybe we should do that we can't make it worse that's for sure!