PDA

View Full Version : Peel Camping

merseybluenose
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Ok, first reporting post so sorry for length and lack of photos.

Packed the boat full of gear last Thursday and went camping for the first time in Horseshoe bay for 3 nights. Had a great time with the wife and kids despite the first day being blown out. :(

Managed to head over to Berkleys the next day for some shelter and find some time for a spot of fishing:). Normally fishing in the boat has been a nightmare of complaints (3 small children in a 4m boat) but this time we seemed to turn a corner and the complaints never came which was great.8-)8-) My young fella caught the days first and his first ever with a nice little pike (Dad was pleased, there's my bait for tonight!!;D) closely followed by his second, then my daughter chipped in and all of a sudden the competition was on and the kids were loving it!! Even my youngest fella of 5 yrs had started to take a yabbie out of the bucket, de-claw it and have it ready for me to put on his hook......progress;)
Bad weather came back over which cut our day short so headed back to Peel. That night I was keen for a fish and thought I'd get out by myself but surprisingly the kids were so keen for more we spent most of the night on shore using the rest of our yabbies. The kids had a ball, all bagged fish including 3 nice whiting, some small perch and plenty of undersize bream.:)

Next day saw plenty of swimming and yabbying the low as the day was perfect!! On the incoming tide, plenty of fish jumping so out came the sp's and waded out for a flick producing a nice flattie. Decided tonight was gonna be my first ever night fish so threw the cast net and produced a couple of small whiting for bait, thankfully later my daughter spots a bait school of potties and I nailed a heap more. Kids to bed after day spent playing on the beach and off I went into the night full of excitement.....only down side was that all the livies had died despite my best efforts keeping them alive during the low:-?
Out to the green beacon in front of horseshoe, full moon, no wind, glass.......magic! Rigged up my sons pike and within 2 minutes reel was screaming, hooked up......big, jumps out of the water and I'm thinking yes, then snap....bitten through my 30lb leader.....>:( Ah well, re rigged the rest of the baits and within a couple of hours before the high had produced a nice bream, 2 under sized grassies, some sort of 70cm shark (looked like a port jackson shark but don't know what it was) and 2 more bust offs from decent fish.

Came back in yesterday during large swell and rain with boat fully loaded....little scary, big thanks to the bloke who followed me out past the channel to make sure we were ok. All in all a great first camping trip to Peel and I'm keen for another night fish very soon.......maybe even tonight;D

Tickleish
09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Nice report, sounds like everyone had fun. We where at peel on Saturday after spending the night at Myora and it was a cracker of a day.

I don't mean to pick but I think you might have been referring to Blakesley's & Poddy mullet instead of Berkly's & potties.

Mike Delisser
09-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a great trip, can you tell me is it ok to camp any where at H/shoe bay and is there a cost? Also how were the mozzies and sand flies?

dstrans
09-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Great report my kids love it there too. Didn't get a chance this weekend maybe next

merseybluenose
09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Tickleish - Yeah Saturday was great and was the night I went out to the beacon, just magic. Don't worry about the picking..........I'm still learning and someones gotta point them out:)

Mike - there is a camping cost and a designated camping area, had a quick look on a gov website when we booked and off memory the camping area is most of horseshoe but there are signs up anyway. Cost us around $30 per night which is expensive considering the lack of facilities but the view on a good day soon makes you forget about all that! It was quite windy the first couple of days so the mozzies etc were not an issue but even when it fined up the most annoying things were the march flies, we had a tin of tropical strength and hardly used it while we were there.

FishHunter
09-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a good weekend, I did that with my kayak a few years ago was a pretty good weekend except for the 3.5 hour return trip and some bastard stealing my brand new PFD whilst I had a nap.