PDA

View Full Version : Lanolin Antifoul

timeout
08-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know where I can get Lanolin antifoul in Qld.Any dealers can pm me if they like.
Thanks Dave

captain rednut
08-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Ive never heard of this, who told you it exists???

dnej
08-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Applying in liquid or paste form :-
Put Lanolin Gold Marine Wax Antifoul into a standard paint tray and leave in the hot sun until it melts into a liquid paste form, use a standard paint roller (a short nap wool roller is ideal) and roll onto the surface as if painting. Use a paint brush to apply to edges and areas that are difficult to roll.

Lanolin Gold Marine Wax Antifoul can also be applied in liquid form by spray or brush.

Propellers should still be heated or at least hot from the sun prior to application and then Lanolin Gold Marine Wax Antifoul (in liquid form) should then be applied by brush to the propeller surfaces.

In colder conditions put Lanolin Gold Marine Wax Antifoul into a steel container and indirectly heat the container until the wax turns into a liquid. Do not apply any direct flame to the Lanolin Gold Marine Wax Antifoul as that may damage the product.

The best results are achieved when applied in hot sunny conditions. The vessel surface should feel warm or hot to the touch.

timeout
08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.maintenance.net.au/protective/antifouling/lg_marinewax/lg_marinewax.htm
I seen it on tv and they where using it on Sydney ferries.They claim better fuel economy and saved heaps in maintenance costs because you don't have to remove it, it eventually dissolves over time.

Midnight
09-04-2012, 03:37 AM
When I had a stern drive, I used to drown it in lanolin (as you would remember Jim :) ) and I never got any growth on it when I left the boat in the water for extended periods.

When I was living in Townsville around 12 years ago, Lanotec grease had just come not the market, and one of the yachties used to heat it up until it went to a liquid form, and then roll it on in place of the normal anti foul. He swore by it.

I am really interested in this product mentioned above, for use in a planing hull situation.

A charter captain mate of mine used to heat his prop in the oven at home, and then painting in lanolin while it was hot, reckoned he never got any prop fouling.

Cheers,
Myles

Dan5
09-04-2012, 07:14 AM
We did a 65' charter boat i once worked on.......it only lasted about 3 months and we had to do it again.

Hemples lasts alot longer IMO

Dan

captain rednut
09-04-2012, 07:51 AM
i knew people have been using lanoline for many years but i never heard of any company's selling it as anti-fouling. im interested to know how it goes on the hull.
cheers cr

Midnight
09-04-2012, 09:56 AM
With the cost of slipping, I will stick with the Hempels again this year, but I am keen to hear from anyone who has gone down this path on a moored, planing hull boat.

Aussie123
09-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I used lanolin grease for years on my trawlers to do the shaft,prop and rudder setups as well as the transducer modules and any water pickup strainers.
We heated up all the metal pieces with an oxy and while hot painted on the lanolin grease.
The secret was to heat the metal until no more water was coming out and then hit it with the lanolin.
As it all cooled it sucked in the lanolin.
You never have issues with barnacle again after using the lanolin properly.
I read an article last week somewhere on the new anti-foul and the test reviews on it looks awesome.

timeout
09-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Taken from a landline report

The idea for homegrown industrial application of wool grease initially came to Geoff Boyle when he was working in the fishing game. So it’s not surprising a lot of boaties are pretty stuck on the stuff.

The company that runs a fleet of high-speed passenger ferries on Brisbane's Moreton Bay was one of his first customers and quite literally they spray it all over the boat.

"Well you can see there where the lanolin is actually building up over time a real slippery surface. It actually helps the boat go through the water more efficiently so far we've found its saved us about 50 litres a day on fuel. Just from changing to the lanolin you get the same life out of it as anti-fouling. It’s a much better improvement, we've found we use the same amount of lanolin as we did with he anti-foul, with none of the environmental downside, that's right its great for the bay and the Marine Park," Peter Robb, Bay Islands Taxi service said.

"We like to support Australian owned companies, like I said it all comes down to performance and results and if you've got a product that's Australian made providing results that's fine by us," Jason Leigh, Maintenance Manager of FCL said.

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s263646.htm

trueblue
11-05-2013, 08:28 AM
any update from anyone on this lanolin antifoul?

just curious if it has to go on more often to keep it working?

cheers