PDA

View Full Version : Yammy 40( 3cyl/ 2s)

rando
07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I am the first to admit I am a complete dufus when i comes to things mechanical.

In my previous post I said I had a bit of a fuel problem.
The motor would not idle and if it did stay running long enough to get it into gear it would die as soon as the box engaged.
So my nieghbour was working on one of his bikes in the garage (he restores 70s era jap bikes),,and he very kindly offered to help me dismantle the carbys.
Would not even accept a bottle of tipple for his trouble & time.

So we stripped them in his workshop ,,,, they were in a terrible state, and cleaned & reassembled them.

I had the boat serviced down at Iluka at christmas and have hardly used it since. Supposedly they cleaned the carbies then :-?.

So now I know that the problem is not fuel. Maaayybe.

One issue I kind of wondered about when we reinstalled the float bowl, the pivot is held in place with a screw locking it into a recess and I noticed the tension on the screw on the pivot pin altered the position of the float.
Tighter the screw the higher the float sat.

Now my mate did not think this was an issue ,,,, but somewhere in the back of my mind I think I remember that this can affect the carbies performance.Is this so.???

Can anyone advise me what the correct parameters are.

Because it is running completely crap. Farting and backfiring and running rough,,, and not on all pots.
The upside is at least now it is running, and starts first turn, but I certainly could not take it on the water as it is.

Ausfishers,,, I need your help,,, Again;D

Spaniard_King
08-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I think you need to take it to someone who can do the carbies correctly!!m sure they can be pulled down but has your neighbor missed something?

Is there an air leak?
have the carbies been syncronised?
Is the mixture correct?

FNQCairns
08-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Yeah what Gary says, now you know the carbs are clean time to take it to someone with the tuning and if that doesn't work the diagnostic ability to identify the probable cause all in one session.

Bikes don't cross over well to 2 st outboards even 2st bikes dont.

i have that same engine at home also, when i bought it it ran like a pig took me ages to get the thing up to temperature enough to have a good crack at tuning it to even idle, pull starting it so often almost killed me....in the past i have spent a fair amount of time playing with O/Bs but without 100 hours of dedicated head scratching behind me I would be lost often...give it to a pro....but possibly not the same one as before if they didn't do what they said they did....this is not uncommon after all only 1 in every 200 customers might ever find out....that's acceptable odds.

rando
08-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah what Gary says, now you know the carbs are clean time to take it to someone with the tuning and if that doesn't work the diagnostic ability to identify the probable cause all in one session.

Bikes don't cross over well to 2 st outboards even 2st bikes dont.

i have that same engine at home also, when i bought it it ran like a pig took me ages to get the thing up to temperature enough to have a good crack at tuning it to even idle, pull starting it so often almost killed me....in the past i have spent a fair amount of time playing with O/Bs but without 100 hours of dedicated head scratching behind me I would be lost often...give it to a pro....but possibly not the same one as before if they didn't do what they said they did....this is not uncommon after all only 1 in every 200 customers might ever find out....that's acceptable odds.

Thanks mate, I was thinking that it would come to that.
Have to wait now till ive got some spare $$$

TheSaint
08-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Yalata Yamaha did my Yammy 40( 3cyl/ 2s) carbies & got them running mint.