PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering

bluefin59
06-04-2012, 07:36 AM
My telflex cable continues to cause me tightening issues on my bluefin so I am thinking of getting rid of it and put hydraulic steering on it , what brand is better and where do I source it at the best price . My boat is a bluefin predator with the splash well at the back and the motor is a 60hp mariner , I don't mind getting it from the US if the price is good but it has to be easy to fit and be long lasting thanks in advance Matt

bluefin59
06-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Here is a couple of pics of my transom area Matt

bluefin59
06-04-2012, 07:41 AM
And again thanks Matt

Spaniard_King
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
PM sent :)

bluefin59
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info Gary I will get back to you Matt 😃😃

WalrusLike
07-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Um... Tad off topic, but what is the purpose of these splash wells?

Mine just collects half an inch of rain water to make tea out of the fallen gum leaves.

Dignity
07-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Matt, with the teleflex steering there should be an O ring in the motor tube where it comes out, this is often missing due to being pushed out when being installed and then the steering constantly jams up. I just bought a kit of varying sizes of O Rings and found one that fit, never had issues after that. The one that fit from memory was 11mm. If yours is stuffed though it is worth going to hydraulic steering but if funds are limited I have a working teleflex sitting at home you can have, I would have to confirm the length of it as it came out of a 19 footer.

Spaniard_King
08-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Matt, with the teleflex steering there should be an O ring in the motor tube where it comes out, this is often missing due to being pushed out when being installed and then the steering constantly jams up. I just bought a kit of varying sizes of O Rings and found one that fit, never had issues after that. The one that fit from memory was 11mm. If yours is stuffed though it is worth going to hydraulic steering but if funds are limited I have a working teleflex sitting at home you can have, I would have to confirm the length of it as it came out of a 19 footer.

Not all tilt tubes have o-rings fitted. The diameter of the rod on the steering cables is 16mm so dont think an 11mm one will cut it

bluefin59
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I fitted a new felt and oring on the steering shaft last time as the plastic cover split and had to be replaced and thanks for the offer of the cable mate but it would be a bit long for my side console . The problem is I have cleaned out the tilt tube as best I can without total disassembly because I have to unbolt the motor to get the shaft all the way out of the tube to clean it properly which is a path I may go down yet as my brother has a engine hoist . Gary your pm was received and I will be making a decision in the next couple of weeks , thanks Matt

Dignity
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks Garry, I should never rely on memory, yes it was 16 mm, my old merc had a groove where the rod comes on either side and once I fitted one on the outgoing side I never had another problem. I am surprised that not all motors have them "O rings" as this would stop a lot of issues even with hydraulic steering. I wonder whether my Yammie has them.