PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane river bass help.

bar raider
05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Going to try getting bass in the upper river but I have never been there, I usually go the hinze dam.

All I know is to go above the mt crosby wier and below wivenhoe.
Any tips and locations to launch a electric punt off the back of a falcon ute.

I trust the bass up there like jackall tn 60's too??

Cheers.

grinner2
05-04-2012, 01:17 PM
2 LOCATIONS i WOULD SUGGEST :
1/ PUT IN AT TWIN BRIDGES ( HEAD THROUGH FERNVALE & TAKE THE 2ND TURN OFF TO THE LEFT , PUT BOAT IN B4 THE BRIDGE & MOTOR UPSTREAM )

2/ PUT IN AT LOWOOD ( HEAD THROUGH FERNVALE , TAKE 1ST TURN ON LEFT & HEAD TO LOWOOD APPROX 8KLM, BEFORE YOU REACH LOWOOD THERE IS A DIRT TRACK OFF TO THE RIGHT,( AS YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THE WINDING ROAD STRETCH ) WHICH WILL TAKE YOU DOWN TO THE RIVER ) FAIRLY STRONG RAPIDS IN THE AREA , i DONT KNOW HOW YOU WILL GO IN A TINNY , ALSO A BIT HARD TO LAUCH A TINNY FROM THE 2ND SPOT )
1ST SPOT AT TWINNES IS PROBABLY THE EASIEST FOR YOURSELF.
REGARDS PAUL

bar raider
05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
thanks heaps, we're going in the morning. twin bridges sounds good for the first time.

Is the stretch between twin bridges and lowood deep enough for the electric? how deep?

ckeers ken

bar raider
05-04-2012, 05:48 PM
oh and what the tactics up there? cast to the edges?snags?? troll the deep? yeah i know thats cheating ;D but im driving up from the goldy so i want the best chance.. :P

grinner2
10-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Bar Raider , did you get uo to twinnies ??
Sorry for the late reply :
water plenty deep enough for electric , just watch out for random submerged timber though .Best spot by far is the deeper pools up towards the Lowood end .
I usually fish with hard bodies ( JACKALL D CHERRIES to be exact ) & fish the snags along the banks ( the clser you can get your cast in there the better )
My best fish from this area is a 54cm( see previous post ) , have fished their a couple of times in the last 2 weeks since the water level has dropped back down to its nromal level & managed fish upto 45cm ( shit loads of catties though also .)
Regs
Paul

bar raider
10-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah I did mate, nice spot, I got busted off and lost a jackall tn60 and trolled up a 33cm. Bit of a drive though . Makes me want to get a kayak.

wrip109
15-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I bought an inflatable Kayak(It fits in my car) and put in at Colleges from the ramp. Travel upstream but not as far as the old weir. Very peaceful and lot of big bass (Most over 50 cms) Stopped catching then while they let the water out of the dam but they should be OK again now.

Presuming they have not all been washed downstream

Fitzy
17-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Information, pictures, videos & map showing access point at http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,499.0.html

cheers,

fitzy..