PDA

View Full Version : Xd100 oil questions

WalrusLike
05-04-2012, 07:29 AM
My dealer said only use xd100. I now understand that's because my Yamaha 115 is programmed to use that injection rate.

I didn't think to ask if I can use any brand xd100 or only a Yammie oil.

Also I can't go to that dealer for oil(too far) so I am not sure where to get it.

Any thoughts?

Crocodile
05-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello WalrusLike ,
I am assuming that your Yammie is a two stroke.
Have a look at this;

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2003/lit-18626-04-94_397.pdf
refer to section 1-11

I thought that xd100 is for Evinrude ETEC motors and is specially formulated for that application.
I have read in an engineering magazine that the ETEC's don't mix the oil with the petrol but that it is injected into the crankcase as a mist to lubricate the bearings.
Whether this property makes it suitable in a conventional carb 2Str I don't know.
IMHO go with the Yamalube it would probably be much cheaper than the xd100 anyway.
I use Yamalube in my 2Str 60 it has been trouble-free.

Goochi
05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
XD100 is an Evinrude/BRP product manufactured specificly for Evinrude E-tec outboards. I cannot imagine why you would use it in another brand. Are you sure you have a Yammie engine. As Crocodile said the Etec engines do not mix the oil with the fuel but inject it seperately. They can be programmed to run on either standard 2 stroke oil or XD100. I am not aware of any other brands that do this.

Stuart
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Unless its oil injected dont try and mix it with the petrol. I know plenty of guys running XD100 in there oil injected yamaha 2 strokes with no issues. I have always used Amsoil HP Injector oil in all my 2 smokers. Despit the name it mixes well with petrol and oil injection.

WalrusLike
05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
It is the Yammie 115 2 stroke with a oil resoiviour that injects as demand requires.

Having read some more now I see what you mean about xd100 and it's etec vaporising injection method.

I wrote on my phone the oil type I was told verbally by the dealer. I didnt have a clue what xd100 was so it cant have been my mistake.

After a email check to the dealer they now say use Yammilube.

Rats.... I thought the oil would be easy to get.... Now it's Easter and I don't have any and don't get home till 5 ish. Rats. Rats.

My fault for not getting it earlier. But I do wonder about the conflicting dealer advice I was given.

thelump
06-04-2012, 07:11 AM
While yamalube is recommended in that motor you could still use a tank of any good 2 stroke oil without problems. I found the Valvoline good when i had my 2 stroke but they decreased the size by a litre and put the price up. Used the Gulf Western product from Supa cheap after that with no issues. Dont spend easter on dry land just because you cant get yamalube.

WalrusLike
06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks fellas. I bought a litre of Caltex 2 str outboard oil (which is the same thing as Yamalube if what I read elsewhere is correct) as a stopgap then bought 4 litres of Nulon.

Haven't needed either yet.

thelump
07-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Was the nulon similar price to gold nuggets?

WalrusLike
07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
My wife picked it up.... We were out of time... I chickened on the $80+ synthetic and got the ~$40 one.