PDA

View Full Version : Trailer upkeep

Mrs Ronnie H
04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi
Just wondering what everyone does to stop their trailer from deteriorating in the salt.

When we first got ours home, before it went anywhere near saltwater I gave it a good going over with Heavy duty Lanox. I sprayed it everywhere and today the only place I have a rusty bolt is on one of the tyre rims-- whoops- I forgot that one.

This arvo I have been out giving it a good going over again but this time I am painting it on with a paint brush. Bought a 5 lt drum and wouldn't of used a litre yet. Probably 2 thirds the way.

Does anyone do this or something else???

Ronnie

johncar
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah Ronnie, also been using Inox/Lanox for many years now and the trailer always look great and just yesterday at the ramp was asked "new trailer mate?". I just use the complimentary squirt bottle that comes with the 5 Litre containers and don't even try to cover every inch but the stuff seems to travel on the surface and cover 99% of it.
I have told many to do this when they complain that their trailers are falling apart but it often falls on deaf ears and disbelief I guess or maybe just too much trouble for some to do any sort of preventative maintenance.
I just use Inox on most of the trailer but if around any natural rubber bits, use Lanox. Keeps all the brake bits and suspension in better shape too and doesn't seem to affect the braking other than the first couple of brake applications next time on the road, but I make sure I give the brakes a little work before I hit the main road and traffic.
Yes it does go a long way and a relatively cheap way of preserving the trailer IMHO also and seems good on both Galv steel or Ally. I even give the boat a light wipe over, (not the top decks or walk areas) with inox and so far seems to be good, boat looks nicer much easier to wash and look after also. I just give it a recoat when it starts to look a little dull or any sign of oxidation.

Sevric
05-04-2012, 05:24 AM
I sprayed the rear half of trailer all over as well as inside the boxing via drip holes with heavy duty Lanox and the front half all the nuts, bolts, welds etc; this is repeated anually. I then at every wash down spray with a detergent applicator attached to my pressure sprayer mild soap and a little of that salt away product (you do not need much so not very expensive) let this sit for 10 minutes then spray off with the pressure sprayer.

Bros
05-04-2012, 08:31 AM
I asked a similar question a while ago.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?181625-Immersed-trailer-maintenance