PDA

View Full Version : LED tail lights

astro66
04-04-2012, 06:44 AM
The old bell style tail lights on my trailer have given up the fight....>:( want to replace with led style ones so whats the good bad or ugly ....;)

peterbo3
04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
There are some shockers out there on the web. Cheap is not always good. Probar at Caboolture have a very good working display over a range of styles & prices. I would want to see what I buying before handing over the $$.

Jeremy
04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I found a pair of LED trailer lights for $50 in one of the local chandleries to replace the old submersa-lights. They are completely sealed units. Just connect up the wires and bolt on. Come with a 3 year replacement warrenty. Had mine for about 4 months now with no dramas.

Spectre
04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Trojan do a v good set of submersible trailer LEDs....incl number plate light
They come with 9 metres of wiring sealed at the light ...so only connection is at the plug.
I installed a set 18 months ago & so far so good.
Repco stock them & occasionally u can pick em up on sale. No doubt u can buy them at other places to.

Cheers

leonp88
04-04-2012, 12:37 PM
It's not hard to gauge the quality of some of the eBay jobbies etc. I picked a slimline shaped set up from eBay for about $75 I think with indicator/brake/reverse light. These didn't come with a huge length of wire (~300mm), but using proper heat shrink etc it isn't hard to waterproof any wiring connections. I just redid my trailer wiring and would recommend running a separate length of 7 core wire down each side - that way the only joins when troubleshooting are at the plug (screwed connections) and at the arse end of the trailer (soldered joints).

Most LED light assemblies will (should) be resin-filled so completely waterproof and a huge improvement over the old style with incandescent bulbs.

Edit. Similar to this but with reverse light incorporated: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-LED-TAIL-LIGHTS-LAMP-TRUCK-TRAILER-CAR-BUS-UTE-CARAVAN-BOAT-JET-SKI-PARTS-/220867973989?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336cc1d365

wags on the water
04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
L.E.D. brand lights are the go - in my opinion.

johncar
04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
There are some shockers out there on the web. Cheap is not always good. Probar at Caboolture have a very good working display over a range of styles & prices. I would want to see what I buying before handing over the $$.

Yeah +1, they have a decent range and also stock the water proof connectors just as important if needed.

TheRealAndy
04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Had narva's on my boat trailer for quite a few years. they would be well out of warrantee now, but still kicking.

One a side note, I had a blow out on the trailer about 3 weeks after I bought them, and one lamp got smashed up big time. The pcb is conformal coated, so even though fully smashed the lights kept working till I finally replaced it.

wrxhoon
05-04-2012, 12:12 AM
L.E.D. brand lights are the go - in my opinion.

Agree , I had them on my trailer for almost 5 years, still going strong and they are cheap.

I have hellas on the ski boat trailer,about 7 years, still going but the LED brand are less than half the price!

bluefin59
05-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Narva lights with 7mt of preconnected cable on my trailer 5 yrs of regular dunking and still all good Matt

astro66
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
thanks guys...got a set of narva's with 9m of wire already on them to save having a join .....on special for 99$ ...put them on just now and they are nice and bright easy as to install just run the wires and hook into a new plug...
hopefully they will give me a ferw years of trouble free boating ..