PDA

View Full Version : rust proofing new trailer.

Still_Dreamin
03-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Gday guys, I have just read the "rust bullet" thread and it got me wondering if it is worthwhile getting the trailer rust proofed like I did when I bought the 4wd a couple years ago. From memory they had spray gun that went down the chassis rail and sprayed the inside. Would this work on a boat trailer?

Noelm
03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
anything is better than nothing, some say a good coat of paint over the galvanising is a good thing too, some also recomend a 50/50 mixture of sump oil and fish oil, never done that one myself, but you never know I guess, there is also a dozen proprietry products to coat your new trailer with (before it ever goes in the water). OH and post in the right section for better response.

Still_Dreamin
03-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks Noelm. Yeah I wasn't sure whether to put in the boat section or in general. Any ideas on how to move a thread(or how to get a moderator to move for me)

Mattg68
04-04-2012, 03:50 PM
bloke i know of just had a the back end of his trailer cut off & replaced due to rust then had it hot dipped. but what they did this time was weld seal all the ends, drill a few holes a pour (from memory) 12-15 litres of sump oil into the rails & weld shut. not sure if this is done regularly but thought it interesting.

matt

Mrs Ronnie H
04-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi
Just started a new thread about upkeep on a trailer.

When we first got ours I sprayed with heavy duty Lanox-- missed one bolt on tyre rim which is abit rusted but apart from that very little signs of corrosion and no rust. Have been out this arvo with a paint brush and painting it on this time.
Tomorrow it goes in the pressure spray to do inside the rails.

Ronnie