PDA

View Full Version : GC Seaway

merseybluenose
03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Never been there before and after reading a few posts about the north wall, GT's etc have decided to give it a go.

Few questions - where is the best place to put the boat in? Looked on nearmap but can't see where a boat ramp is. Also, does the swell come through the seaway causing dangerous waves, looks to be fine on photos?? Would only ever consider it when 5-10knots max but are there certain wind directions when you should just forget about it altogether?

lucee81
03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Next to Seaworld/VMR is a boat ramp this is where i normally launch from when i feel like battling the idiots on the broadwater. The ramp is pretty good and its not far to the seaway, Also if travelling in the early morning watch out for the surfers as they like to swim across the seaway to south straddie. Hard to see if they are wearing black, and this is common. Not sure about wind direction as i will normally judge it when i get there and if its too bad will fish elswhere.

frankgrimes
03-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Few questions - where is the best place to put the boat in? Looked on nearmap but can't see where a boat ramp is. Also, does the swell come through the seaway causing dangerous waves, looks to be fine on photos?? Would only ever consider it when 5-10knots max but are there certain wind directions when you should just forget about it altogether?

As mentioned, Seaworld/Spit ramp.

Yes, Swell absolutely comes through the Seaway causing dangerous waves.....especially on run-out tides.

Avoid the place on weekends/public holidays unless you enjoy crowds ;)

Still_Dreamin
03-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I used to launch the tinnie from loader(might be lodder)ck, opp volunteer coast guard at Labrador or a little further north at Biggera Waters. Both on west side of broadwater but fairly protected. I will add this was at least 10 yrs ago!!

merseybluenose
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
As mentioned, Seaworld/Spit ramp.

Yes, Swell absolutely comes through the Seaway causing dangerous waves.....especially on run-out tides.

Avoid the place on weekends/public holidays unless you enjoy crowds ;)

Is the swell breaking or just rolling??? (on a good day) all the photos I've seen just show rolling waves no break, making me think you can actually sit in the mouth of the seaway fishing the walls????

lucee81 - if it is unfit to try the seaway where else is worth a shot that would be more sheltered.....would hate to travel all that way down and have nowhere to try!

frankgrimes
03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Is the swell breaking or just rolling??? (on a good day) all the photos I've seen just show rolling waves no break, making me think you can actually sit in the mouth of the seaway fishing the walls????

Waves break well into the seaway....you def. cannot sit in the seaway entrance and not expect breaking waves....many people have come unstuck...it is dangerous...pick your day (swell/wind) and you will be fine....imperative you keep watch though regardless....like any bar.

nathank
04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
there isnt any fish in the seaway anymore.. they all went up to brisbane... thats the best spot ;)

lucee81
04-04-2012, 06:56 PM
As you head out of the boat ramp from seaworld there is a green beacon to the left on the sandbar at low tide. Facing away from seaworld to the right of the beacon about 15-20 meters anchor there about 5mt deep I have caught leatherjackets and flathead using prawn also some good whiting on the sandbar on the out going tide. Under the bridge at souverign island I have got good bream. Also the rock wall at souverign island holds good fish. I only fish bait normally. And also he yellow beacon at wave break island.