PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid swamping motor on slowdown?

WalrusLike
03-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Does anyone have any tips on slowing down and avoiding the stern wave?

My Baysport575 with Yammie 115 2 st hasn't been swamped yet, but it looks imminent sometimes.

Given that the hull flotation doesn't take effect until after the wave has reached past the motor, it seems a possibility to me. Or is that just my inexperience?

ShaneC
03-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Slow down slower

nigelr
03-04-2012, 08:06 AM
accelerate a tad and 'catch' the wave

fat-buoy
03-04-2012, 08:14 AM
when I got my Sig 520 a couple of months back it would form quite a large wake wave which when I dropped off the plane would break over the top of the engine cowling like a mini barrel... so I lifted the motor a couple of inches to get the anti ventilation plate above the keel line and I also put a hydrofoil on the motor to help lift the heavy bum of the boat (and me) a bit... works a treat now I can simple throttle back and the wake wave is just like any other boat breaking behind the motor and pushing the back of the boat up when it catches up :)

ozscott
03-04-2012, 08:35 AM
You can turn to the side as you come off the plane. Also hitting the throttle again a little after coming off the plane is helpful as stated above, just make sure your occupants are aware, but it doesnt take much throttle to mitigate the effect of the wave.

Cheers

Vitamin Sea
03-04-2012, 10:16 AM

My Baysport575 with Yammie 115 2 st hasn't been swamped yet, but it looks imminent sometimes.

Given that the hull flotation doesn't take effect until after the wave has reached past the motor, it seems a possibility to me. Or is that just my inexperience?

Slow down gradually, simple as that, you won't have a problem.

Noelm
03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
yep, agree, seems to me that you are on the plane untill you are right at the ramp/harbour, then pulling the throttle straight back to neutral.

Chimo
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM
7855678557Pitty yours is'nt a tinny or you could have popped a couple of pods on the stern. Really solves the lack of floatation and makes the boat longer too.

Cheers
Chimo

Dicktracey
03-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Start with the KISS principle mate,
Bring the leg back in to the stern before backing off.
Back off gradualy until you feel nose pointing up,then drop your speed again to let nose drop and lift the back up.

It's amazing the difference trinmming the leg back in makes ;)
hope this helps
Dick

WalrusLike
03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
yep, agree, seems to me that you are on the plane untill you are right at the ramp/harbour, then pulling the throttle straight back to neutral.

Nah mate I wouldn't do that... I am a softly softly, kinda bloke.

The times I have noticed it is when in a washing machine chop and I have slowed rapidly because of a navigator double take.

I think I will experiment with the short bump of throttle method. Also most times if possible the slow slowdown method. Thanks for the advice guys.

Jarrah Jack
03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
7855678557Pitty yours is'nt a tinny or you could have popped a couple of pods on the stern. Really solves the lack of floatation and makes the boat longer too.

Cheers
Chimo

And fuglier.

stue2
03-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Does sound like you are trimmed out a bit far. Trim her in as you slow. Is the eski and any thing else stacked at the transom? Balancing the boat will make a difference.

Cheers Stu

wirlybird
04-04-2012, 07:06 AM
And fuglier.

Ha Ha Ha amen to that what were they thinking

WalrusLike
04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
.... Is the eski and any thing else stacked at the transom? ...

She's not exactly stacked... but the missus is parked there mostly. Thats because the daughter wants shotgun.

So when you think she's a bit heavy in the ar... stern, do you mean the boat or the missus? 😄

Just joking... Yeah I will have a look at weight and trim next time. I also want to know whether the motor cav plate is just out when travelling. That's what I read it should be.

trueblue
08-04-2012, 11:50 AM
some deep v boats do it worse than others. mine is a shocker for it. I can't be bothered slowing down slowly, I pull up as quickly as is safe (not throwing people around) and this results in a big wake wave trying to climb up the back of the boat. As mentioned above, just be aware of it and wait till the wave is almost there and then power on just a touch and you will catch and then break the wake wave. This technique also helps to reduce wake on my boat. if I slow down slowly my boat will leave a shocker of a wake for other boats if I'm at 6 knots. speed up slightly and break the wave and most of it goes away.

stue2
08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
She's not exactly stacked... but the missus is parked there mostly. Thats because the daughter wants shotgun.

So when you think she's a bit heavy in the ar... stern, do you mean the boat or the missus? ��

Just joking... Yeah I will have a look at weight and trim next time. I also want to know whether the motor cav plate is just out when travelling. That's what I read it should be.

yep, cav plate should be on the water not in it. splashed is ok as well.

not touching the rest

cheers, Stu

FNQCairns
08-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Turn the boat to the left or right at round about the last moment, becomes second nature after a while and the tallest part of the wave will carry past/get beat down every time.