PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding another boat, no idea what it is???

den001
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM
hi guys,

ive just bought this 5.5m very deep sides half cabin...

i was wondering if anybody knows what type of boat it is?? (other than a sinking one at the moment)

im gona gut it out over the next week or so and completly rebuild it...

this one i will be keeping, the seafarer has been sold...

what trye of timber should i use for the stringers and what should i use to bed the stringers off the hull? can i use sikaflex 292? then fillet and glass????

it really looks like a good hull and i hope it peforms well in the rough. but would really like to know what type of boat it is..

any help would be appreciated

cheers
denis

fandtm666
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
its been registered and if you have all the paper work from the previous
owner you should be able to contact maritime and they would have the details

den001
02-04-2012, 04:23 PM
unfortunately i dont have the paperwork.

den001
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
anybody know what brand this thing is????

oldie
04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
i'd near go with a Nova based on windows and shape, they did a 19fter from memory

BigE
04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
It's a mono hull ......... sorry couldnt resist. does look like a Nova by the windows and cabin shape

Happy easter BigE

Fenno88
05-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I am going to say a 1980 Swiftcraft seagull MkII

Crocodile
05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Hello den001,
That boat is a Sportsmancraft V189 Commodore.
Made at Sandgate in Brisbane, probably early 1970's.
My Dad had the smaller model the V173 Conquest runabout.
Recognisable by the very deep forefoot and smooth sides, in those days most other makes had clinker sides (except Haines). Your boat has the same style of bowrail as the V173.
The very rounded shape to the transom at the keel is another clue.
As to how it handles, I don't know never had a ride in one.
The V173 had quite a hard ride because the strakes were too wide down low at the forefoot, the V189 has much smaller strakes so might be better.
Nice to see the old girl being done up.

den001
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM
thanks for that mate,

been doing abit of reading about these boats and there are many mixed emotions, anything i should do to maybe improve it as its going thru a complete rebuild???? id prefer to do it now rather than later on...

EdBerg
05-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I would not use Sikaflex, use the resin/talc mix for bedding down the stringers, if the gap is too big then you could add some chopped glass fibres to the mix or preferably trim the stringers better. The filler is to remove any gaps and to hold it in place untill you glass over it. You can use a variety of materials for the stringers provided you put the appropriate amount of glass over it, ie; plywood, high density structural marine type foam etc. Radius the upper corners as wet glass doesn't stick to sharp right angle corners easilly. If you need to put a hole or a vee cut for drainage in the ends, then glass that cut section first before you bed it down, as it is easier and you also do a better job when you do it out of the boat, than when it is bedded down and the hole/vee is upside down.

Cheers

Ed.

den001
06-04-2012, 11:33 AM
thanks for the reply Ed, i was not asking about glassing, but thanks for your reply, i was asking about making the hull more stable or what not, i was contemplating adding a full sized pod and full sized transom, will this help the boat out

or maybe adding some flotation areas under the deck of the rear of the boat...

any thoughts?

den001
06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
some pics of the beginning of a mess

i am going to do the transom first then one stringer at a time, to keep the shape of the boat true...

when pulling out one of the stringers, noticed the below average build quality on these boats, filler was used but only partially to gain angles, on many areas there were air gaps between the stringers and hull and in some areas the stringers were hard up on the hull. BUT there is a shitload of glass everywhere in this hull which is at least one thing its got goin for it...

i will defiantly make it a better build this time around.

7867678677786787867978680http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png