PDA

View Full Version : Of Trim Tabs, 4 blades and other such Drivel.

Floating Rib
01-04-2012, 10:16 AM
No point banging my head against the wall anymore after checking seabreeze, no improvement in features to be had there after 20 years of league, who'd a thought the wind could increase again but later in the week guess what. Thought i might sneak out to Mud tomorrow morn early, forecast 17 knts so maybe not.
Sadly not many fishing reports to drool over, although Roscos smoked mackeral and sand crabs did give me a pang of jealousy for those who own big boats that eat chop for brekky.
Not having had this ocean going boat very long im wondering if you guys have struck periods of such shit weather?
Anyway to fill in time (and lets face it if you are still reading you are bored also)
i thought id report on some trim tabs ive fitted. These are the Nauticus plastic jobs that have no power inputs and are self adjusting(explanation on the website better than i can), i found previously with a pretty big load of bods coming back from Moreton in a big chop the arse was down a bit. First run with the tabs unloaded found them to lift too much and more weight at the rear was needed, adjusted them from mid setting to lowest pressure for a nice improvement(probably because the RIB isnt that heavy) and allowing the donk to be trimmed out nicely, on the plane quicker and at lower revs, also about 2 mount removable seats at the rear as although rated for up to 12(no intention of carrying that many) it only has seating for 4, 2 more fold downs at the rear will be nice i think. Of course there are you beut trim tabs costing many hundreds of dollars but these for not a lot of cash do a nice job, long term
Durability? all components available seperately though.
Also just bought another prop, thought it wouldnt hurt to have a spare, currently running a stainless Merc vengeance, looked at an alloy spare but for not a lot of extra dollars picked up a new Solas Hr Titan 4 Blade, havent run it yet but will be keen to see how it goes. When i get a chance i will have a play with the different combos of tab and props so hopefully cover carting a load to the wrecks or camping gear for a week at musgrave to solos offshore for a fish.
Cheers
RIB

Cav(J.C.)
01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
You're right about the wind. I reckon just before, during and after Anzac day is the start of the good stuff.
Cav(J.C.)

Stuart
01-04-2012, 12:03 PM
You havent heard the old saying. What comes after two days of wind and rain.......Monday.

Mister
01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
So many add ons that supposedly make things all go that much better! Has anybody ever designed a vessel and got it right in the first place requiring none of these magical after thoughts :) If it was built right in the first place and used accordingly it wouldn't require any add ons, would it?

Floating Rib
01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Mister, guess in my case my power should have been a 140 instead of the 115 but thats an epic story in itself, the 115 is fine 90% of the time though, be no different to car and bike riders tweaking things with aftermarket products though, my hope is to achieve good performance for several applications with as little stuffing around and minimise cost( like several K for an upgrade to the 140).

Jabba_
02-04-2012, 05:47 AM
You havent heard the old saying. What comes after two days of wind and rain.......Monday.

This will make your day... What comes after 2 days off wind and rain..... 10 days off holidays.. Woo hoo.. lots off surfin and fishin..

Stuart
02-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Thats because all mass produced boats are ultimately a compromise. If you want a particular style of boat then custom alloy is the only economical way to go. If you find a boat that suites all your needs then your lucky and one in few that do.