PDA

View Full Version : Formosa Sea Rod

theangryangler
30-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Went to the T n T show last week lookin for a new rig in the 35 - 40k range and liked the stessl trophy 530 and the formosa 520 searod. came home to research the two and cant find anyy info on the searod????? formosas website doesent mention them and as far as i can tell searod dont have a site?!. boat dealers ad on boatsales states the 520 has welded alloy deck but the 550 does not?? and the stessl
has not either. both come with a 90 either suz 4str on stessl or a 90 etec on the searod.
soooo any opinions on which is the better craft?? and Y?
thanks
The Angry Angler

theangryangler
30-03-2012, 05:22 PM
oops found the searod website
still any opinions??

BRENDO1
30-03-2012, 06:15 PM
One of my mates has the 4.85 formosa cc with 60 etec. boat goes alright, better than i expected from a production plate boat. totally under powered!! at 6000rpm he gets 22 knots out of it!! if your going the 5.2m, put at least 115 on it. if your going to go with the suzi, get the 140, its lighter than the 115 and only cost an extra $600. i found this out at the tinnie and tackle show as i'm thinking about repowering my galeforce.

theangryangler
30-03-2012, 06:37 PM
ok a bit more research done and found the searod offshore has a sealed deck and the searod classic
does not so now i am leanin towards the offshore as the sealed deck is good stuff
good stuff;D

bf90
30-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Have a gander along the under side of the Formosa hull as every Formosa I looked at had more waves and depressions in the bottom sheets than south passage bar in an easterly wind they look a very nice boat and come with a lot of things standard which other boat names charge extra $ for but IMO the standard of the finish with the bottom sheets just lets the whole boat down

theangryangler
30-03-2012, 07:41 PM
had a good gander at the show and did not notice anything like that but will take a closer look now
thanks

BAR UP
21-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Hey angry did you get a Sea Rod. I think I'm gunna upgrade my Mayco Craft to the 5.2 side consul, Peter.

Mrs Ronnie H
21-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Have a gander along the under side of the Formosa hull as every Formosa I looked at had more waves and depressions in the bottom sheets than south passage bar in an easterly wind they look a very nice boat and come with a lot of things standard which other boat names charge extra $ for but IMO the standard of the finish with the bottom sheets just lets the whole boat down

I have never noticed anything like what you are saying. Not just saying because we own one but have seen alot of these boats and have never come across anything like you're talking about. The finish is not smooth like a babies bottom but would not go so far as you have in saying they are full of depressions and the like.

Also reading on here about putting a 115 on a 5.2 metre or upgrading to a 140. On that size boat a 140 would be overkill and nothing wrong with a 90hp as we have. plenty of get up and go-- you could look at a 115 and have a little more in reserve but a 5.2 formosa seems powered sufficiently with the 90.
JMO

Mrs H

copie
21-01-2013, 09:03 PM
I put a post on this site about a week ago about the formosa v searod got afew answers but would like more. I am currently selling my fibre glass boat and am very keen on a formosa 480 side console with a 90hp 4 stroke. I just wish there were a few more dealers locally. Oh i have looked hard at the mk3 formosa hull and i am not disappionted with the hull and have compared them with either the quintrex 490 or 510 and the stacer but still i think the formosa is a better boat.

Mark

Mrs Ronnie H
22-01-2013, 06:29 AM
I put a post on this site about a week ago about the formosa v searod got afew answers but would like more. I am currently selling my fibre glass boat and am very keen on a formosa 480 side console with a 90hp 4 stroke. I just wish there were a few more dealers locally. Oh i have looked hard at the mk3 formosa hull and i am not disappionted with the hull and have compared them with either the quintrex 490 or 510 and the stacer but still i think the formosa is a better boat.

Mark

Mark why not give Duncan a ring or better still go visit him. have a talk to him and am sure you wil get some good info.

Mrs H

BAR UP
26-01-2013, 07:49 AM
I was thinking Sea Jay but they wanted $60k for my package all wrapped up. Ended up with a Sea Rod from Brisbane Yamaha. Powered by 100hp Yamaha, drop axil Dunbier trailer, 80lb Minkota Ipilot, 8 inch Humminbird sounder, deckwash, live bait tank and bait board, modified casting deck, kill tank, EPIRB, VHF, Black colour plus safety gear for 5 for $50k neat. Pretty happy with that price. I will have my Maycocraft 5mtr Frenzie with Minkota, 90hp Suzuki 4stroke, live bait tank and all the goodies for sale soon if any one is interested. Just need my new boat first. Don't want to be boat less, Peter.

BAR UP
26-01-2013, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=copie;1451737]I put a post on this site about a week ago about the formosa v searod got afew answers but would like more. I am currently selling my fibre glass boat and am very keen on a formosa 480 side console with a 90hp 4 stroke. I just wish there were a few more dealers locally. Oh i have looked hard at the mk3 formosa hull and i am not disappionted with the hull and have compared them with either the quintrex 490 or 510 and the stacer but still i think the formosa is a better boat.

Check out the Sea Rod they have the ballast tubes and other extras standard, Peter.

bluefin59
26-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Pete make sure you wave as you fly by me in the OLD bluefin ....Matt

Shark Poker
26-01-2013, 04:22 PM
The principal feature of the SeaRoad is the 4 x water ballast stringers or 'Rods'
While at rest, the hull sits lower in the water and is heavier due to the internal weight of water.
Underway they empty out.
They are 4 big extruded, thick walled , radius corner rectangular box sections, (instead of a typical 4 or 5mm x 100mm vertical stiffener) and once 3d curved are VERY strong.
Although stability is not a reported problem with any other Formosa models, the Sea Rod is supposed to be even better.
Seems like an excellent concept.
Availability of suitable dealers of required standard is holding them back, IMO,
If you are interested have a closer look.
I will be.
Pauly

BAR UP
27-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Hey Fatbouy what is IMO?

Shark Poker
27-01-2013, 11:42 AM
'In My Opinion'' - a polite way to remind that it is only your opinion,
Hey I like Longboats too!

copie
27-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Two questions the searod has more of a pod and rear platform verse the formosa having the rear of the boat all the way back does this have any floatation changes from one to the other.
Does anyone own a side console how do they ride should be softer sitting too the rear. Do they lay over to the console side.

Mark

BAR UP
27-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Mark I don't have my new boat yet but Paul from Brisbane Yamaha says the Sea Rod has a POD style transome which enables the motor to get the nose up more efficiently in choppy conditions there for a better ride in the slop. Regarding laying over to the console side my Mako does slightly at slow speed but at high speed no problem it sits nice and flat. The Sea Rod is such a wide boat 2.4mts that I don't think it will lay over at all. Peter.

copie
27-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Mark I don't have my new boat yet but Paul from Brisbane Yamaha says the Sea Rod has a POD style transome which enables the motor to get the nose up more efficiently in choppy conditions there for a better ride in the slop. Regarding laying over to the console side my Mako does slightly at slow speed but at high speed no problem it sits nice and flat. The Sea Rod is such a wide boat 2.4mts that I don't think it will lay over at all. Peter.
Thanks Peter would like to here from you when you get the new boat and tell me (us) what you think.

Mark