PDA

View Full Version : Stringer/bulkhead gaps??

balefish
30-03-2012, 06:56 AM
I am in the process of remaking my 773, and have cut out the rotten bulkheads and keel board along the middle stringer. In the process of doing this i found that there is was a gap left between all of the bulkheads and the hull and the middle stringer had air gaps most of the way along it. Question is whether or not to leave this gap or fill the void with better fitting bulkhead and stringer???? Had a look on the net and there seams to be some difference of opinion. All help greatly appreciated.

Jarrah Jack
30-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't think this will help that much but its food for thought. I had to put in a new bulkhead to take an anchor winch. I was told to cut it 3mm less and add some 3mm rubber tape to it which I ended up doing. The idea came from an old f'glass man. Something to do with the old glass in the boat up against the unforgiving timber.

Noelm
30-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I personally would make everything as neat a fit as I could, then set any timber in "bog" and then just glassed over, not sure why or how a gap could be of any use when the glass covering the timber is stuck to the bottom and sides to make it all as one unit (kind of)

HH565L
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
This sounds very odd. If the bulkheads are not attached to the stringers, then they really don't add any strength to the boat what so ever. Do you have any pics you can post here? It might help give us a better understanding of why the boat was built that way.