PDA

View Full Version : Repowering HH V17L Yammy f115 or the suz df140

sparksbrissy
29-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Hey guys thinking of repowering my Haines v17l with a 4 stroke, shes got a merc 2005 2 stroke at the moment.

Im leaning towards the zuki for the extra horses and longer warranty. Some informed advice would be awesome :D

Jarrah Jack
29-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I've got an F115 good motor but heavy. The zuk 140 is the way to go, seems the've been made for those older hulls. Should get up and go with the 140.

sparksbrissy
29-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I've got an F115 good motor but heavy. The zuk 140 is the way to go, seems the've been made for those older hulls. Should get up and go with the 140.

thanks mate, yeah leaning heavily towards the suzuki. Can't wait to have a bit more range

anythingfishy1
29-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I have just repowered a crestrida 17ft with a yamaha 4st 100hp 4 yr warranty gets 67kph at 5800rpm

sparksbrissy
29-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I have just repowered a crestrida 17ft with a yamaha 4st 100hp 4 yr warranty gets 67kph at 5800rpm

true.. i thought the yammy's only got a 2 year warranty. how much did that set you back

fisho8
29-03-2012, 06:42 PM
DF140 Suzuki mate better bang for you buck mate but go with whatever brand suits you do your research and fuel comsumption service costs and go from there A yami 115 would push that boat along ok but if I could get a zuk for around the same money with a bit more HP than that would be the better option.

sparksbrissy
29-03-2012, 07:01 PM
DF140 Suzuki mate better bang for you buck mate but go with whatever brand suits you do your research and fuel comsumption service costs and go from there A yami 115 would push that boat along ok but if I could get a zuk for around the same money with a bit more HP than that would be the better option.

yeah i think old matey said 10 grand with the tradein on the merc which sounds like a pretty good deal to me and he even comes out and installs it! also the fuel consumption is fairly similar to the yammy with not all that much more power i think but 140 does sound better than 115. the yammy motors look so much more stylish though! not that it really matters on a dirty old haines though

fisho8
29-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Doesn't matter how it looks mate it is what it does. Alot of charter Boats and high end plate boat manufactuers have Zuks off the back so they must have something going for them.

anythingfishy1
29-03-2012, 07:19 PM
If I get it serviced by yammy they gave me an extra two years first service was $370 ( 20hrs) cant quite remember what it cost as I traded in a boat and and a old evinrude on it Got it from bribane yamaha

Makka Nick
29-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Be careful not to add too much weight. Due to its narrow beam the v17's tend to sit low at the back end with too much weight on the transom. I'm running a 150 Etec, performance and economy is fantastic, especially for skiing/wake boarding. Sometimes though, especially when backing onto a fish, I wonder if a v4 like the 115 or 130 may have been a better option.

If I remember, there's only a few kg's difference between the 140 zuk and the 150 Etec.

Make sure the transom is solid also!

Tinshack
29-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Just upgraded to a F115 Yammy from a V4 Yammy 2/. Looked at the Honda 115 & Suzuki 140, but my manufacturers plate states max 130HP, so opted for the Yammy. If Honda wasn't another 25kg I would have chosen that, great prices at moment, have had Honda before, awsome ecconomy. The Yammy isn't much heavier than the V4 2/ as you are removing the 10kg oil tank also so it comes out at approx. 8kg heavier. Have gone from 1.1km/L to 2.1km/L average with the 4/. Boat is similar to yours, Yamaha Southwind SF17/565, 1400kg, 20Deg deadrise, 200L fuel. Very happy with Yammy outboard performance. You will be happy with either outboard, heaps of them out there with no major issues. Cheers, Dave.

sparksbrissy
30-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Be careful not to add too much weight. Due to its narrow beam the v17's tend to sit low at the back end with too much weight on the transom. I'm running a 150 Etec, performance and economy is fantastic, especially for skiing/wake boarding. Sometimes though, especially when backing onto a fish, I wonder if a v4 like the 115 or 130 may have been a better option.

If I remember, there's only a few kg's difference between the 140 zuk and the 150 Etec.

Make sure the transom is solid also!

Yeah new transom a few years back, and i think the sukis 140 only a few kgs heavier than the yammy 115, the guy who im getting out is from haines anyway so he should give me a good idea of how the boat will handle it compared to the merc ive got on her,

sparksbrissy
30-03-2012, 05:49 AM
Tinshack, yeah i had a think about the hondas but i heard theyre expensive to service and im just a poor tradie, i had a yammy 50 4 stroke on my old runabout but it had a thing for snapping the crankshaft which half put me off the yammys especially when the yammy mechanic tried to tell me i was dredging through sandbanks, ill go the sukizuki thanks guys, if you see a dodgy blue haines hoon past at 10 feet above the water give me a wave

Jarrah Jack
30-03-2012, 08:47 AM
They make a brilliant hoon boat the 17L's. I gave up trying to get a good one then three came up after I brought something else. Did you buy yours recently? If its the one I'm thinking then it was a good buy.

Vitamin Sea
30-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi

Is the merc dead? I would be thinking very hard before I put in another 10G's on the boat if it's all good atm, you will never see it again and 10 G's is a lot of petrol. You will get more range for sure but at the end of the day it's a 17 footer, how far are you going to go?

My 2c, think hard about it and by the way I would go the zuk IF I was going to put on a newie.

Cheers

VS

sparksbrissy
30-03-2012, 04:14 PM
jarrah jack. nah ive had her for a year or 2, picked her up for 15g's which i thought was fairly reasonable, the thing i dont understand is why the previous owner felt the need to install trim tabs its a little bit odd, and ive only done a rewire, new bimini and anchor winch since then. i was happy with how the bimini came up though it looks great.

Vitamin Sea. Nah the merc's still powering along great, i just dont have enough juice to get up around the top of moreton and out deep which is where i really want to go and sick of stressing if im going to have enough petrol left to get home. plus the v17l is a great boat for what i need at the moment,
my next boat will be a supercab stabi but until i save a few more dollars i want something to actually get me out to where some bigger fish are, plus being able to drive more than 100k's in a day would be great you know, and yeah im wacking the suke on it in the next month or 2

murf
30-03-2012, 06:19 PM
the spearo's around hear love the HH V17, some spend some big dollars and huge time on making them what they want, they are a great boat

the trim tabs are very common on the V17 as they lean into the wind big time, my little 5m Nova would love trim tabs with its deep V but i beach launch and the "hey you" get over hear works to level up the ride so she doesn't bang on its flat side

great boat and you will love it with a 4 banger on its arse

cheers Murf

Jarrah Jack
30-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Trim tabs won't do it any harm. Should make it more stable at rest and allow you to keep the boat even when moving along. The deep v hulls tend to tilt with the wind. More so with the bimini and clears up. Should also stop any tendency to chine walk which my 16r used to do.

BRENDO1
30-03-2012, 06:25 PM
The suzi is only about 130hp at the prop. but are great motors. couple of my mates have had them and never a bad report. the yammies are good too. but the 115 is a big motor compared to the suzi

murf
30-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I am having hearing problems tonight it seems haha

the trim tabs I believe will help get it up on the plane quicker too, never had the chance to have a play with a boat like yours with tabs on it

cheers Murf

Vitamin Sea
30-03-2012, 06:44 PM
jarrah jack. nah ive had her for a year or 2, picked her up for 15g's which i thought was fairly reasonable, the thing i dont understand is why the previous owner felt the need to install trim tabs its a little bit odd, and ive only done a rewire, new bimini and anchor winch since then. i was happy with how the bimini came up though it looks great.

Vitamin Sea. Nah the merc's still powering along great, i just dont have enough juice to get up around the top of moreton and out deep which is where i really want to go and sick of stressing if im going to have enough petrol left to get home. plus the v17l is a great boat for what i need at the moment,
my next boat will be a supercab stabi but until i save a few more dollars i want something to actually get me out to where some bigger fish are, plus being able to drive more than 100k's in a day would be great you know, and yeah im wacking the suke on it in the next month or 2

Trim tabs are a good thing on that boat, will only make it better. Had a mate with the 17L, did a few sea miles in her, they go real well.

Cheers

sparksbrissy
30-03-2012, 07:01 PM
haha well now i no what the trim tabs are for i thought it was more common with the bigger boats but it does make sense with the hull shape. yeah she runs nicely with the 115 merc, i cant wait to see how she goes with the 140 and hyd steering, but yeah im more than happy to spend money on this boat its a great boat and being a haines it should still have a good resale if i keep it in good nick. plus shes got an awesome oil filled trailer with elec trailer winch, love it. a 19+ footer would be nice but the sr5 turbo hiluxes can only tow so much, my dads got an awesome 23ft red stabi called chaos. im thinking i need to poison his beer and get the inheritance :p

Duckfish
30-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi Sparksy,
Maybe a good idea to get the extra long leg on either motor. Since your transom is ok just put a stainless plate or aluminium plate and lift the motor higher of the transom. Had a 17L with a Mariner 135hp and in the slop outside, the bilge pump was working full time. My preference would be the Suzuki. More bang for your bucks.
Duck

HH565L
02-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi Sparksy,
Maybe a good idea to get the extra long leg on either motor. Since your transom is ok just put a stainless plate or aluminium plate and lift the motor higher of the transom. Had a 17L with a Mariner 135hp and in the slop outside, the bilge pump was working full time. My preference would be the Suzuki. More bang for your bucks.
Duck

Great advice. Also ensures the upper exhaust port is always out of water (where it needs to be), thereby minimising the possibility of the motor ingesting water. ;)

Quite a few HH V17L's down here in Melb with 140 Zukes on the back. Seems to be a popular choice and the positive feedback suggests it's a pretty good match. 8-)

Makka Nick
02-04-2012, 04:27 PM
I had an 25" transom fitted to mine when repowering with the Etec. Highly recommended ;)

EMURUNNER
20-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Hey guys
i have a hh v17l with a 140 suzuki on it and it goes great, it really gets up and flys and good on the pocket at the end of the day. I have a 25 inch motor on a standard transom so a jacking plate was used. This jacking plate may be for sale in a couple of months if anyone needs it as i am doing a hull extension pod to mine.
Go the 140 suzuki, you cant go wrong.

cheers

Jarrah Jack
20-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Hey guys
i have a hh v17l with a 140 suzuki on it and it goes great, it really gets up and flys and good on the pocket at the end of the day. I have a 25 inch motor on a standard transom so a jacking plate was used. This jacking plate may be for sale in a couple of months if anyone needs it as i am doing a hull extension pod to mine.
Go the 140 suzuki, you cant go wrong.

cheers

Will be interesting to see who it goes with the pod. Will it be full width?

EMURUNNER
20-05-2012, 01:13 PM
pod will be full width, as i will need the floatation to accomadte the heavy four stroke. im goin to talk to the glasser about puting trim tabs on but incorporating them in the hull extension. a bit like the SEAFOX boats i think