PDA

View Full Version : Leaking gearbox

Horse
28-03-2012, 06:26 PM
My 90hp 2St Yammie seems to have developed a leak from the rear of the gearbox. I have not pulled the prop or had a good look at it yet. Has anyone had this happen before? Is it just a bearing/seal replacement or is it something a lot more serious

Cheers

Neil

gpz1991
28-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Sounds like prop seal?

tunaticer
28-03-2012, 07:38 PM
What colour oil??
If it is really dark coloured it is 2st oil, nothing to worry about, the oil picks up soot as it travels down the exhaust channel to your prop hub.
If it is creamy coloured you have a seal problem in your gearbox that has allowed water to enter.
If it is like a new engine oil colour or green (depending on brand) you have a seal that has completely failed since or during your flushing.

captain rednut
28-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey horse my pm box was full its all clear now.
Cheers jim

Noelm
29-03-2012, 09:04 AM
first step is a very easy one, identify the oil, gear oil has a very distict odour, next step (if gear oil is found) is also a breeze, remove the prop and look for fishing line wound around the shaft, if there is any, remove it and see if the seall looks cut, braid will cut a seal to bits quite quickly, next step is to remove the drain plug on the gear box to see if the oil is milky, if it is, immediate action is required! there is only a couple of places water can enter a gear case, the prop shaft, the drive shaft or the shift shaft (unless you have a cracked housing of course) most of them are reasonably easy fixes, but sometimes getting the thing apart is a real shit. if you found it is engine oil dripping out the prop hub, then don't be too concerned, unless it is a large amount.