PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New Boat Concerns

troy
27-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I have just ordered a 5.6 Seajay Predaking Plate Boat.
During hours of researching boats i have found that there is not one plate boat that is not knocked by someone.
Just read read a old thread from Ausfish that the boat i have ordered is a flat arse banging and over priced boat.
Who do you believe and the ones that rubbish certain brands of boats makes your mind boggle.
As i have said every brand of plate boats not one comes out with nothing wrond with it.
I have had PMs about boats that have good names yet these people who have told me about boats being dangereous in certain seas and others with the hull warping crack welds.
Forums can turn you off buying any boat.
Troy
Ps i know the reply i will get from this thread but my boat buying expierince has really got my back up.

Steve B
27-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Troy,

Shoot a PM to NAGG. He has just bought a new Seajay plate boat. He had great dealings with them in every way. Apparently they were very good to communicate with, and did as they said they would. He got his boat ON TIME and as he wanted..I know NAGGsy pretty well, and he researches the cr$p out of everything he buys (many here can verify it gets annoying at times!!)...but with that, he has come up with the goods...and a top boat. I have seen the boat, and its build quality looked tip top. I have been in the factory, and it all looks very professional.....I dont think I could ask for more than that from a boat builder...I know when I bought a stessl it took way longer, service was poor....stupid me went and bought ANOTHER when they became Makocraft....same problems...thankfully the boats were good.

Your boat will be good mate. Don't let the forums turn you off. Its the same with buying everything from phone to a block of units on the gold coast...everyone has had good and bad experiences with everything there is to buy and sell!

Cheers Steve

Jarrah Jack
27-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Time to stop worrying and think about how you are going to enjoy the boat mate.

Kondo 1
27-03-2012, 08:48 PM
I have a SeaJay and its great, granted only a pressed boat but the next will probably be a striker in 5.1 or 5.6 so will be interested to hear your review when you get it :)

Certainly information on forums can be taken with a grain of salt and some well can be lifesaving, I think the trick is working out whats what and that's never an exact science. However I still think the oppinions expressed need to be listened to but sometimes you need to work out the motivation and its overall relevance. It takes all sorts and some people dont like something because it is expensive and others cheap, some know the manuafacturer for better or worse, some have had bad experiences (at times even their fault ;)) amongst many other things and at times these motivations can cloud the advice given.

Overall I just think you need to do what suits you whatever that may be - sure you may need oppinions to get to that point but dont take any oppinions you don't like to heart, only problem is when something happens you were warned of and have to admit it :)

PinHead
27-03-2012, 08:49 PM
troy..
holdens are crap
ford are crap

that tell you something?

Tailortaker
27-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi Troy, I read your previous threads while you were doing your research but never replied as I never had much experience with the boats that were in question but I'm sure that you will be happy with your choice. There will always be someone with a negative no matter what the boat, car or subject is. I recently bought a new stessco and if you do a search on them there is a lot of bad reports on them but some good ones too. I was happy with the boats i looked at so ordered one. When mine arrived from the factory I inspected every inch of it and was happy. I've had it for near six months now and absolutely love it. I've taken it out in ordinary conditions with no dramas at all. It handles very well and has impressed me a lot.

I'm sure that your Seajay will be as impressive as it looks plus some and you will posting on here about how good that thing is for years ! Good luck with your purchase mate and Don't let theses thing worry you just enjoy that boat when it arrives..

WalrusLike
27-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Mate I don't know those boats but I do know that every boat ever made is a compromise. Because its a compromise, every boat can be criticised for something.

All of the things you want in a boat compete against each other. The boatbuilders skill is in finding the balance. In selecting it, you have put your money down on the balance that suits you.

Take it out there and enjoy it. It's a bloody site better than standing ashore and wishing you had one. 😄

Tangles
27-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Troy,

your buying the boat, not anyone on this forum, if your happy with it buy it, if your not then dont...

Seajays are a good brand, its a purely personal decision and you dont need anyone on this site to tell you to get it or not, we dont pay the bill mate..and you have in your head what you want in a boat...

spelchek
27-03-2012, 10:58 PM
If you only get 1/2 as much joy out of your sea jay as I do from mine, you'll be a happy man. If I may offer one word of advice now you've pulled the pin on the new boat: stop researching. Like others have said - you'll never get 100% agreement on 'what to buy' on any forum about any consumer item.

Congrats (in advance) on the new boat!

Axl
28-03-2012, 01:25 AM
It's about time you made a decision!!!

No seriuosly congrats on the new purchase I am sure you will be happy you'll have to post some pics once she is finished.

troy
28-03-2012, 03:54 AM
I seen the thread just before i was going to bed and i became disturbed and posted.
The ones that bash certain boats i would like to know if they have ever been in one and if so what were the sea conditions like or if not what are they forming there opinion on.
I worry to much and should not have posted but admit i became concerned and over reacted.
Cannot even find the thread that caused my worries but the Builder is great to deal with and that is a big plus.
Troy

FishHunter
28-03-2012, 05:21 AM
U know what I am going to say.
Congratulations, sounds like a good boat maybe its time to stop 2nd guessing yourself and enjoy the boat when you get it.

Apollo
28-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Agree with the others above. The seajays I have seen look to be well made. I have not heard a bad report from any of the owners I talked to whilst having a look at their boats. Steve B is right in the NAGG can be a PITA when researching something he wants to buy, but he does so to feel confident that he has made the best decision - he ordered a plate Seajay.

I think you have made a sound decision and I agree with spelcheck -stop researching boats and start planning its fitout and where you will take it.

All the best
Steve

outta line
28-03-2012, 06:56 AM
go for a on water test mate on a rough day ..... make your own mind up...... if you listen to all the crap you read (some true some not so true) you will keep going in circles......boating is about fun times ......start thinking about all the fish and good times ahead....... and if your not happy with the boat sell it in a few years..........mick

Smithy
28-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Has going new blown your budget? What motor are you putting on it? What trailer? Scuppers or no scuppers?

troy
28-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Has going new blown your budget? What motor are you putting on it? What trailer? Scuppers or no scuppers?

Has 100 HP Four Stroke Yamaha and has scruppers and is on a Redco Tandem Trailer.
Troy

troy
28-03-2012, 08:36 AM
For those who do not know me and wonder why i worry a lot there is a reason for this and it is some thing i live with every day of my life.
I am sorry for being a pain.
Troy

Fillet`n`Release
28-03-2012, 09:06 AM
G'day Troy,

Just last year I took the plunge of buying my "own" first boat. Sure we'd had boats in the family before, but they were other people's (dad's, brother etc) and so it's still the big step. I did the same as you, did lots of research, listened to lots of people (in-the-know or not, opinions are all you can gauge). I had a preference for a particular boat manufacturer which helped narrow the field. I was shopping 2nd hand so it was a matter of making my mind up about the range of size in the style I wanted, and then waiting for a boat to come up. After about 3 or 4 boats that had promise (but I didn't buy), and then 1 boat I really wanted to buy and sold before I could see it (no regrets though !) the perfect boat came on the market (well for my current desires anyway :) ). I took all my research (and my head and heart) to inspect the boat, she was/is perfect and put a deposit on her on the spot.

So I ended up with a Quintrex FreedomSport 5.3 Bowrider MY06 and I couldn't be happier. Sure she's a bit stocky, maybe a bit lumpy compared to my other mate's glass boats, but she's just what I wanted and performing exactly how I envisaged (and I feel really safe in my boat, not that I ever want to test how boyuant she is upside down ! ). No boat is 100% perfect, but if it does everything you want it to do, then who cares what anyone else says about what else might've been better or different.

Grats on your new toy, go out and enjoy it and don't stress. The fish are waiting :)

Lancair
28-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Totally agree with those that have said "Stop researching and reading". Youve made your decision, now just plan on what fun youre going to have in it.

Ive bought two new boats, each one had critics galore on here. Always my mates, brothers, girlfriends, dad had one and it broke sort of stories. The stessco had so many bad reviews and stories I was wondering what Id done in buying it, but it was an awesome boat. No problems with the hull or welds, nothing. My current Tournament 1800 had mixed reviews and I actually had quite a few issues with it when new, but all were resolved with the manufacturer direct and now Im 100% satisified. Both boats have an Etec, again, lots of stories about Etec's, some maybe justified as Ive had some problems (dodgy injectors), but so do Mercury, Yammy etc. owners too! Again all were fixed under warranty.

Sheik
28-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Ever picked up a brochure and seen the TV you just bought for $500 cheaper? Course you have, we all have. But you've bought a oat from a builder who's been around for longer than most, and with all the criticism that goes on he wouldn't still be up in Bundy if he wasn't making a good boat. Like everyone is saying, put the anxiety aside, take her out, and enjoy. Good boat, good company, you're laughing.

Camhawk88
28-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I have just ordered a 5.6 Seajay Predaking Plate Boat.
During hours of researching boats i have found that there is not one plate boat that is not knocked by someone.
Just read read a old thread from Ausfish that the boat i have ordered is a flat arse banging and over priced boat.

Compared to what? A 40ft Blackwatch? yes it will be rough in comparison. A 4m stessle? It is absolute luxury in comparison.

There are a lot ofguys that will bag a plate ali boat as being harsh because it is plate ali. As has been mentioned there is no perfect boat.

I have been in a custom Seajay the fisheries used (5.3) which is built to essentially the same specs. For a plate boat of its size I was very impressed with both the ride and stability. The underfloor structure of the predakings is like a tank and for the amount of metal in it I think they are far from overpriced. If I was in the market for an 18ft plate boat the Predaking would be right at the top of my list I reckon.

Good buying mate- I garantee you'll love it.

Now Huminbird or Lowrance?

TopBhoy
28-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Congratulations on the new boat but its wrong to condemn people for offering a less than ideal opinion because it doesn't suit you. Don't feel bad about worrying on buying the boat either; its costing you many $$$s.

upstart
28-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey Troy,
She will be a great rig for heading across Upstart Bay. What will you call her? When do we get some pics?

troy
28-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Congratulations on the new boat but its wrong to condemn people for offering a less than ideal opinion because it doesn't suit you. Don't feel bad about worrying on buying the boat either; its costing you many $$$s.
Mate i am not condeming people for there opinions but do you ever think of the damage that costs genuine boat Builders with some of the damaging comments made.
These Local Builders are trying to not only survive but to try and give us the best they can.
Feedom of speech is what we are fortunate to have but if people on Forums wish to rubbish a boat then i feel they should back it up with facts.
So my message is this and is simple produce the facts or if they cannot ignore them.
Troy

FishHunter
28-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Troy a boat is no different than a car or a tv or a microwave ask 100 people for an opinion on any one of them and you will likely get 100 different points of view.
As for people bagging products if someone lets themselves be swayed by the opinion of 1 or 2 people who dont even own the product then they are a fool.

PinHead
28-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Mate i am not condeming people for there opinions but do you ever think of the damage that costs genuine boat Builders with some of the damaging comments made.
These Local Builders are trying to not only survive but to try and give us the best they can.
Feedom of speech is what we are fortunate to have but if people on Forums wish to rubbish a boat then i feel they should back it up with facts.
So my message is this and is simple produce the facts or if they cannot ignore them.
Troy

don't buy a sports cruiser unless you have the time to use it at least every 2nd weekend..fact..LOL

Buy what you want troy, not what others want you to buy.

Steve B
28-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Has 100 HP Four Stroke Yamaha and has scruppers and is on a Redco Tandem Trailer.
Troy

If it had an ETEC, then you would have something to worry about!!;););D;D

Ooops sorry!.Just kiddin... Like I said orginally. You will have a good rig. Seriously hope you get some good use and joy out of it!

Cheers Steve

TopBhoy
29-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Troy
Agree with FishHunter. Other than weight, sizing dimensions and any regulatory compliances, what other facts do you have in mind? Everything else is pretty much subjective and opinion based; even much of the manufacturing and dealer advertising blurb (for any product).

Tracker
29-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Buy what you want troy, not what others want you to buy.

Just about sums it up..
Seajay are a class act.