PDA

View Full Version : Which Boat?

Bailey
27-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Well the time has come. After years of renovating, marriage, Kids, setting up business,etc, things are finally starting to settle down. So its time to buy a boat! Hopefully then I can contribute to the reports instead of just reading them.
Here's what I'm after and the restrictions I have to work with. I live in the tweed area so something to fish the tweed river area plus duck over the bar for some offshore fishing if the weather suits. Also would like to be able to tow a tube/ ski on the odd occasion. The size limitation is that it has to fit into a garage that is 6.7m long with 2.3m height. I have a budget of around $45000 thats on the water with electronics etc.
So far I am intersested in something like the Bluewater alloy 4.85 or Origin Axis 5000 centre console. Do you think I'm on the right track or maybe something like a webster twinfisher 4.9???
Sugestions/opinions Please.
Thanks in advance
Brad.

Squidlet
27-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Go tHe Bluewater,i have the 5.3 and its a great boat when i can use it,you get lots of boat for ya money,and good service to go with it.
Cheers Chris.

Shawn 66
28-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Mate ,
Dropped my boat off for service on Monday and parked her next to a MODA plate boat ,they are located at Clontarf , northside of Brisbane . Was extremely impressed with the build quality and the quality of the welds . Even my mechanics ( cynical , twisted individuals that they are ) were singing its praises . Another option would be Preformance Plate Boats , based at Brendale . Sam does a nice bit of kit .
Shawn

Sheik
28-03-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a kayak I'll sell you for about that price...
seriously though, plug all those things into boatsales and have a look at what's available. Go down to Bermetto and look through what's there to give yourself some ideas. Check out the formosa's, the plastics, the second handers. Just get a feel for what you're after. Read reviews. Decide on what type of motor... 4 stroke etec 2 stroke etc.
Decide wehther you want a new one, or a fully tricked up 2 or 3 year old boat, which you will get for that money.
PM me if you're stuck and want to discuss
regards jim

nigelr
28-03-2012, 10:46 AM
FWIW, IMHO look for an 'almost new 2nd hand'.
If you can, take your time and enjoy your purchasing power!
Cheers.

Bailey
28-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys,
I can say that I am very impressed with the Bluewater 4.85 in the centre console but I suppose i'm wondering wether I should be going for a cuddy cabin version that may handle the bar a little better if I take one over the bow? So I guess I'm asking which boat/style will be the most offshore capable that will still come in under 6.7m length on trailer.
In saying that I realise it is still a reletively small boat and I don't intend on going out unless the forcast is good, but as we all know the forcast isn't allways right.
Thanks again and I will look into the other boats mentioned.
Brad

Micadogs
28-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi,

My boat is 5.5 metres long, on a single axel trailer. My carport is 7.5 metres long and boat, motor trailer is just longer than this when engine is slightly tilted, about 7.8 metres. That is approx 1.1 metres longer than what you require.

With the motor fully down and touching the back wall, I cant just get it into the 7.5 metres.

Also, my carport is 3.5 metres high, my boat with bimini up is at 3.2 metres high. I will have to take measurements with bimini down though.

So what I'm getting at here, is that you boat is going to have to be around 5 metres maximum in length and will need to have an easily removable or fold down bimini to fit into your garage.

This will hopefully confirm that you are on the right track with your desired boat length, height may be an issue, even without a bimini if you are going a cuddy cab.

Cheers Adam

Dantren
28-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey Brad.
Give me a call if you want a fishing trip on a 5.3 bluewater cconsole fold down t-top 115 suzuki. Anywhere from the tweed to Noosa. 0421041990.
Dan.

Still_Dreamin
28-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Just went through the same scenario except my shed opening height is 2.4m Checked out extending shed quote came in at $6500, ouch and only for an extra 3m in length. We have ordered a Tournament 1750 which came to 7.2m BMT so ordered the trailer with swing away draw bar for extra $800. Will fit nicely now!

bf90
28-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey brad I have a 5.4 tabs half cab on a duel axel redco trailer and a 90 vtec Honda on the rear end the over all length of boat donk and trailer is 6.7 on the nose the height is 2.7 to the windscreen :( with the Bimini up it is 3.2 I think you will be hard pushed to get a half cab under 2.3 a run about or a centre console will be no probs for ya if you are up Logan way one day and ya want to have a geese at the tabs boat or go for a burl give me a yell cheers mate Brad ( good name hey:) i

Bailey
29-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks very much for the advice and the offers! It has cleared a few things up for me. Will let you know when I come to decision.
Thanks again
Brad

Dantren
30-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey Brad.
When folded down, the tip of my anchorlight is 2450 of the ground.
If you delete the MinnKota the console is the highest point at 2350.

Andy56
31-03-2012, 03:10 PM
In my opinion, you shouldn't buy anything smaller than 5m or 90hp. I had a quintrex470 with a 60yam. For two people fishing it was great, factor in family, donuts/skis and it died. Tinnies under 5m don't cut it for families, motors less than 90hp will thus struggle too, thats my experience. You have to ask your self, is this what I really want out of the boat or is this just a compromise the get a boat? Might be better to get a cheapy up front and learn what you really want before laying out $45000. You might lose $5000 on a $20000 boat but lose $10000 on a $45000 boat you may not like afterall. The more boats you try/test out the closer you will be to making a better decision. Lots of people here are on to their 3rd or 4th boats, lol ( I'm on my second) so it isn't easy to make THE right decision first up.