PDA

View Full Version : What motor do you have and what fuel consumption do you get?

nowornever1972
26-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes its the old Four Stroke Vs Two Stroke discussion...... I am personally wondering what these twin 70 etcs will get............ if its not up to scratch I will be repowering.......I like the suzuki four strokes but im a bit sus on do they have enough go in them.

So what do you have on your boat and how many litres per klm do you get, do you have a four stroke and does it have enough punch to be safe for offshore work?

leonp88
26-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Honda BF50 = 0.29-0.3l/km :)

Last decent trip was 130km and just under 40l...

rosco1974
26-03-2012, 08:25 PM
i get roughly 1-1.2k to the ltr combined with the 140hp suzuki's on a 2400kc plenty of punch for offshore work.sit on 27-29knts most trips offshore and anything up to 40kts in the bay.
cheers rosco

sickday
26-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Honda 60BF on a 4.5 s/s polly gets around 3.2km/lt (av 28knts)

mostly inshore work....very rarely outside the harbour :)

ifishcq1
26-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Nowornever
there were a pair of cats up here one has 70suzis and the other 70etecs they both get within a small margin of each other I can't remember the exact figures except it is around 1.6km/ltr on a full days days running on a trip of 200kms with the suzukis only slightly better economically when we cruise everywhere but when they run flatout in the last 10ks to the harbour the suzi doesn't chew quite as much
the etecs definitely have more grunt up front although not as big a difference as I thought and through the middle range they are both pretty good so in answer if 70 etecs won't do the job neither will 70 suzukis power wise anyway
the suzukis are a little bit quieter at troll speed and they seem to be about the same up in the revs

cheers

novice23
27-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I punch my honda bf60 around the bay using an average of .25l / km.
It pushes a 4.5m tinny with just me and the fishing gear onboard and does just shy of 60k's per hour WOT

Jabba_
27-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Seafarer Vermont, 250hp Evinrude E-tec.. Inshore I get 1.75km/ltr all day. 3400rpm at 34mph.. I can get it up to 1.8km, but takes a lot off fiddling with the trim and throttle..

Offshore in average conditions I get 1.5km/ltr running into the sea... 1km/lt if I am heading straight in to a sharp short northerly swell. I hate northerly swell..

Jabba_
27-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes its the old Four Stroke Vs Two Stroke discussion...... I am personally wondering what these twin 70 etcs will get............ if its not up to scratch I will be repowering.......I like the suzuki four strokes but im a bit sus on do they have enough go in them.

So what do you have on your boat and how many litres per klm do you get, do you have a four stroke and does it have enough punch to be safe for offshore work?

Have you had your boat on the water yet?. If so what was your WOT rpm's and speed... What is it like out off the hole, and how is it at holding a slow plane?....
What style off prop do you have and what is the pitch?

nowornever1972
27-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Have you had your boat on the water yet?. If so what was your WOT rpm's and speed... What is it like out off the hole, and how is it at holding a slow plane?....
What style off prop do you have and what is the pitch?No I pick it up this week end WAHOO ha ha its been a while. so yeah pretty excited.............just wondering what to expect on the fuel economy side of it.

nowornever1972
27-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I have a mate with a 225 etec on an outsider......... and i have a mate with exactly the same boat with a 250 hp verado ............ being serious........the verado has so much hall ass power I couldnt hang on to take a video...........the 225 etec was very dowey considering.........not hanging it on etec just giving honest observation.

It honestly felt like the 250 verado was twice the horse power of the etec.........weird.

nowornever1972
27-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I was looking at a Seafarer Victory but the thought of wrotten transom or issues like that because of my last seafarer scared me off..............i know this boat wont ride like a victory but atleast I dont have to stress about thousands of dollars in transom rebuild.

Jabba_
27-03-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a mate with a 225 etec on an outsider......... and i have a mate with exactly the same boat with a 250 hp verado ............ being serious........the verado has so much hall ass power I couldnt hang on to take a video...........the 225 etec was very dowey considering.........not hanging it on etec just giving honest observation.

It honestly felt like the 250 verado was twice the horse power of the etec.........weird.
And that is a fair comment... There is nothing in the outboard market that can hold a candle to the torque off the Verardo... I have been in a 28ft center cab with a 275 Vrod, over propped to the hilt, max rpm only 4500.. Mid range excelleration, it still wanted to toss me out over the transom... I tell you, I was blowen away at the power these things make, torque in those things are scary crazy, I love em, and I would have one on my boat if I could hold the extra weight..... And if I were to own a CC, the Vrod is the only motor I would have on it..

In the ski racing scene,, they are scaring the pants off the E-tec and optimax owners.. They are having or sorts off set up issues as the powerhead is very heavy and higher then normal N/A outboards, as a result to the higher center off gravity it has cause a few rollovers, and the torque has snapped the blades off their props.. Otherwise they go like a scaulded cat, and when they get their boats set up perfectly for the Vrod, they will be unbeatable...

BRP are shittin themselves and are calling for a seperate catagory for the supercharged 4st.. Merc Racing are laughing all the way to the bank.

Jabba_
27-03-2012, 04:13 PM
No I pick it up this week end WAHOO ha ha its been a while. so yeah pretty excited.............just wondering what to expect on the fuel economy side of it.
A conservative estimate I would say better then 1.5km/ltr. It would not be surprised if you get better then 1.9km/lt. Just remember twin outboards do loose economy and speed due to the extra leg in the water, as opposed to the equevent motor in a single. That being a 150 in your case.

Smithy
27-03-2012, 05:00 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?183015-Whats-your-offshore-boat-fuel-consumption

WalrusLike
27-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Wot a mess.... Knots, nautical miles, litres/hr, litres/km, km/ltre.

It's doing my thick head in... I still haven't decided what units to set the instruments into... What a shame there is not an agreed standard.

Oh well, all part of the fun.

gazza2006au
29-03-2012, 08:21 PM
i got rid of the old 50hp 2 stroke installed a 25hp 4 stroke ive gone from getting 1L per 1km to getting 1L per 4km im loving it ;D

WalrusLike
29-03-2012, 09:28 PM
This is dumb question.... Why do you need power to increase safety offshore?

Is that so a boat has the getupngo to dodge out of the way of roque waves? Or is it a bar crossing thing... Get going fast to ride in behind a big wave?

Most likely it's something else I haven't thought of.

Tickleish
31-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Wot a mess.... Knots, nautical miles, litres/hr, litres/km, km/ltre.

It's doing my thick head in... I still haven't decided what units to set the instruments into... What a shame there is not an agreed standard.

Oh well, all part of the fun.

There is an agreed unit and its nautical miles and knots but people are used to there cars and stick with metric.

Tickleish
31-03-2012, 01:41 PM
i got rid of the old 50hp 2 stroke installed a 25hp 4 stroke ive gone from getting 1L per 1km to getting 1L per 4km im loving it ;D

It just shows how people can think so differantly about the same subject. I couldn't think of anything worse than swapping a 50 2smoke for a 25 4stroke. Brings a tear to my eye.

Andy56
31-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Walrus, there is a very good reason for having more power. With my last boat - quintrex 470 with a 60hp yamaha, I had a day to remember coming in at altona. 2 Meter swell on the bottom,between the waves I hit 6000rpm and NO MOVEMENT. This was an epifany, lol! ( lucky these boats float like cork) lesson learnt

gazza2006au
31-03-2012, 04:59 PM
It just shows how people can think so differantly about the same subject. I couldn't think of anything worse than swapping a 50 2smoke for a 25 4stroke. Brings a tear to my eye.my 50 2 stroke only done around 46-47kph top speed this 25 4 stroke has more power throughout the whole rev range all though it doesnt go as fast it planes my boat 4.3m with 3 adults full tank at around 2/3rds throttle i just came back from fishing by my self this was the first time out with this motor by my self the boat planed at around 1/4th throttle i can pitch the prop to produce the same speed as the 50 2 stroke ;D oh yeah i have the bigfoot version so i can swing a bigger pitch prop ;)

WalrusLike
10-04-2012, 06:51 AM
.... 2 Meter swell on the bottom,between the waves I hit 6000rpm and NO MOVEMENT

Ah.... I see. I missed your post earlier.... Glad I found it.

Yes my Baysport 575 has a Yammie 115 on it but could do with more I think.

WalrusLike
10-04-2012, 07:17 AM
There is an agreed unit and its nautical miles and knots but people are used to there cars and stick with metric.

Yeah... I was used to nm but few around here seem to use the marine units. So I am going to go fully metric. It feels a bit like a betrayal but nm and chart and divider are largely unnecessary in day to day usage.

Until the day that the electrics suddenly die and your back to compass and chart. (but then I have the Navionics app on iPhone and iPad. 😄 )

So I seem to be getting 1 ltr per km in a Baysport 175 with 115 2 stroke Yammie. That seems lousy but I think the motor is too deep. The cav plate isn't out of the water on the plane so I an planning a one hole lift to see how that goes.

thelump
10-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah... I was used to nm but few around here seem to use the marine units. So I am going to go fully metric. It feels a bit like a betrayal but nm and chart and divider are largely unnecessary in day to day usage.

Until the day that the electrics suddenly die and your back to compass and chart. (but then I have the Navionics app on iPhone and iPad. �� )

So I seem to be getting 1 ltr per km in a Baysport 175 with 115 2 stroke Yammie. That seems lousy but I think the motor is too deep. The cav plate isn't out of the water on the plane so I an planning a one hole lift to see how that goes.

1L per km will be pretty close to the money with that motor mate. Sorry to break the bad news. I used to have a 115 2 stroke on my Yalta555 and that was around the fuel consumption I was getting. Try keeping it around the 4-4500rpm mark as this should be your optimum revs for economy. Good luck.

WalrusLike
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
1L per km will be pretty close to the money with that motor mate. Sorry to break the bad news. I used to have a 115 2 stroke on my Yalta555 and that was around the fuel consumption I was getting. Try keeping it around the 4-4500rpm mark as this should be your optimum revs for economy. Good luck.

Ah... Rats! From looking at similar boat sizes and motor Hp in this thread I was assuming up to 1.5 km/ ltr was my target. Rats.

Since the cav plates buried I think I will at least try the 1 hole lift.

4200 seems to be current sweet spot in terms of 'feel' for the motor. So thanks for the confirm thats a good rev.

At least you broke the news gently. 😄

rodneyk
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi Mate currently running 140suzi 1900tournament h/cab using half a litre per klm @ 4400 revs doing 22knots running std 21" pitch alloy prop will rev to 6400 rpm top speed 66klms per hr pretty happy with those figures thats from the garmin 10 guages so i think it would be fairly accurate . Dont forget if thats alloy boat they are not that great to push thru the water so figures can be only used as a guide you need to talk to ppl with same hull different motor cheers ROD

Jabba_
10-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Ah... Rats! From looking at similar boat sizes and motor Hp in this thread I was assuming up to 1.5 km/ ltr was my target. Rats.

Since the cav plates buried I think I will at least try the 1 hole lift.

If it is buried, lift it at least 2 holes.

wave dancer
10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi mate, its not a matter of 4st vs 2st or fuel consumption, its a matter of what suits your boat. If you have twin motors the biggest issue will be the added weight and massive reduction in power if you go 4st. I am a firm believer in if you want good fuel consumption why buy a boat with twin outboards, its like owning a v8 and wanting 6cylinder fuel economy. I have done all the homework and have all the figures on this subject as i have just repowered my cat with two new outboards.

Cheers Mick.

themerlin
11-04-2012, 08:19 AM
60 4st merc
I did sandgate to bigsand hills on about 10-15 lts

stue2
11-04-2012, 07:24 PM
If it is buried, lift it at least 2 holes.

Yep agreed. It will need 2 holes mate

gazza2006au
29-04-2012, 06:55 PM
finally done a good run in my tinny since the engine rebuild done 20km's or 10.7 nautical miles and used 6 litres of fuel :o ;D im very happy with that compared to a 2 stroke using 3-4 times the amount of fuel speed was around 30kph and 2/3rds throttle mercury 25hp bigfoot 2000 model on a 4.3m quintrex fishabout 3x 100kg adults and all fishing gear 8-)