PDA

View Full Version : Tiller Handle with new F50F

Splash
25-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I want to buy the Yami F50F 4S tiller, and the NT dealer states I need to pay extra for tiller.

Yet, on Yamaha's website, it states that this handle is standard for this model.

Where do I stand with this tiller handle please?

SPlash

chris69
25-03-2012, 07:43 PM
hi there splash yer thats not right what price did he give yo for the F50 tiller,brisbane yamaha dealer says the same thing tiller comes standered ,hold him to his tiller price
as the forwd steering is dearer as it comes with gauges.

Kondo 1
25-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Gday Splash,

I am not sure on the 50 but late last year when I bought the F70 I had to buy the tiller seperate, I can understand it with the 70 as not many tiller 70's would be sold and when I questioned them they told me that yamaha had a new policy where the engines where shipped bare and they had to order whatever rigging kits, gauges or tillers etc seperately. This is apparently done to minimise waste and keep pricing competitive bla bla bla...

Not sure where you stand, like I say I had no issue on the 70 as I can imagine bugger all 70's would be sold with tillers and see no point in Yamaha having dozens of that model gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere unsold, or alternatively having to wait months for one ex Japan and I think ordering the specific rigging kits or accessories in this size works BUT the 50 is a whole different ballgame, there is a much bigger market and as such may be treated differently.

Splash
25-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes, the dealer stated that "the engines where shipped bare and they had to order whatever rigging kits, gauges or tillers etc seperately.." - even for the F50F.

But, when you look at their website, it states that this tiller comes standard.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/marine-outboard/4-stroke-mid-power/10-f50f

THey quoted $9,000 as the bare unit - without fitment...

Splash

chris69
25-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Brisbane yamaha $8130 give them a ring and see what they say if that price comes with a tiller handle,if they say the same thing flick a email off to someone from the austrailan yamaha supplyer and get into him about misleading advertizeing on there web site and you just might get a better deal up were you are nothing to loose by doing this Slpash the noisey wheel gets the most oil they say.

Kondo 1
25-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah mate you are right based on that - and the 70 has no differential listing so it may be 70 and up? Sorry I dont really know I didn't really challenge it - but just thought I would share my experience. Certainly put it to the dealer and see what they say.

Frieght up there is expensive but I paid $10300 fitted for a F70 with a tiller in october.

I did buy the F50 in 2010 and it was a tiller model, not like the later 70 I bought - whatever you do when you order it make sure they supply one with a lower cowl trim switch, I assumed it would be on the motor but wasn't and it was a giant pain not having it, and it is a substantial mod to put it on (new lower cowl at least). Dead set almost considered changing the motor just for that one point.

Splash
25-03-2012, 08:32 PM
WOW - thanks gents.

I will certainly follow it up tomorrow.

WHo/where is the Australian Yamaha Supplier (email addy)?

THanks for tip on cowl trim switch!

Where shoudl this switch be located (front or rear of cowl)?

ANy other tips before I place an order?

SPlash

Splash
26-03-2012, 05:19 PM
NT dealer - $10,186 (supplied and fitted)
Brisbane Yamaha - $8,236 (supplied and fitted)

The NT dealer sort of bucked the question on the tiller handle.

Is this F50F tiller worth the extra $2k (granted - it is in NT with the extra cratage costs, etc)??

Splash

Dan5
26-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Mate they had them last year at the boatshow for $8500............

Get used of the N.T......Not Today.........Next Truck.........Next Time.........Not Tuesday......Not Thursday..........Not Tommorow.....etc etc.

See why i had my boat built down south?

Screw em Splash.........make em come to the party or buy elsewhere.........A freight company will only be at the $500 mark for an engine crate.

Dan

Splash
26-03-2012, 06:58 PM
THanks Dan,

So, even with the stupid 'NT' tax, you still think I am getting raped by this mob?

I suspect all interstate dealers will choose not to send interstate as they have 'their' own territory...

Brisbane Yamaha told me today they will not ship interstate.

Do you know of any other interstate dealers that will ship interstate?

And, what about service? Would IO Marine still perform the service on an interstate Yami?

Woudl you help me install the outboard in Darwin for $$ or beer?

Splash

Kondo 1
26-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Sorry Splash but I have a feeling that it is a requirement of Yammie dealers that they have to fit any engine they sell above the portable series...

Shame coz I had a very slightly 77 hours used 50 yammie tiller I traded only a few months back I would have sent you.

myusernam
26-03-2012, 09:16 PM
in and outboard marine. known locally as in and out of pocket!

Splash
26-03-2012, 09:26 PM
myusernam - what do you think a reasonable price is to supply and fit this F50F 4T motor from a NT dealer??

I do expect a little higher price given the extra cartage to NT, when comapred to Brisabne Yamaha...

SPlash

rooboy98
26-03-2012, 11:21 PM
G'day Splash,
Your PM Box is full mate.
Cheers,
Roo.

Splash
27-03-2012, 02:14 AM
rooboy.

pm box is now cleared and ready to accept new pm's.

Splash

Splash
27-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Brisbane yamaha $8130 give them a ring and see what they say if that price comes with a tiller handle,if they say the same thing flick a email off to someone from the austrailan yamaha supplyer and get into him about misleading advertizeing on there web site and you just might get a better deal up were you are nothing to loose by doing this Slpash the noisey wheel gets the most oil they say.

ANyone know the email addy of the Australian Supplier for Yamaha?

Splash

chris69
27-03-2012, 06:24 AM
https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/contact-us/general-enquiries try this splash

Splash
27-03-2012, 02:29 PM
..... whatever you do when you order it make sure they supply one with a lower cowl trim switch, I assumed it would be on the motor but wasn't and it was a giant pain not having it, and it is a substantial mod to put it on (new lower cowl at least). Dead set almost considered changing the motor just for that one point.....

I was advised by the dealer that this lower cowl trim swtich only exists on the forward steer motor and not on the tiller motor in the 50HP range. Not good..

Splash

Spaniard_King
27-03-2012, 03:45 PM
you get them both on a Honda Splash :)

Seahorse
27-03-2012, 05:11 PM
ring james at stones corner marine. i bought my boat with the 50 hp till 4stroke yammy.
if u ring them now, u might still get some show specials.

they were great to deal with.

cheers
greg

Kondo 1
27-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I was advised by the dealer that this lower cowl trim swtich only exists on the forward steer motor and not on the tiller motor in the 50HP range. Not good..

Splash

If this is the same bloke that was trying to sell you the tiller handle seperate then run. He has just contradicted himself very well if it is, as the only reason the tiller would be seperate is if there is no seperate models and they just order the rigging, gauge or tiller kits seperately as was the case with my 70.

At this point I would be going the Honda too if I were you.

Charlie
27-03-2012, 05:44 PM
If this is the same bloke that was trying to sell you the tiller handle seperate then run. He has just contradicted himself very well if it is, as the only reason the tiller would be seperate is if there is no seperate models and they just order the rigging, gauge or tiller kits seperately as was the case with my 70.

At this point I would be going the Honda too if I were you.

The Yammy has the tilt switch right under your thumb at the end of the tiller handle I can't see you needing a second switch, the lower cowl trim switch is used to tilt standing beside the boat on its trailer, its in the user manual but not on oz models. If they want ten grand for a motor you need to play them off against the Honda dealer ,no interstate dealer will be allowed to undercut the local bloke.

Kondo 1
27-03-2012, 05:48 PM
The Yammy has the tilt switch right under your thumb at the end of the tiller handle I can't see you needing a second switch, the lower cowl trim switch is used to tilt standing beside the boat on its trailer, its in the user manual but not on oz models. If they want ten grand for a motor you need to play them off against the Honda dealer ,no interstate dealer will be allowed to undercut the local bloke.

Oh Charlie having had this motor with no cowl switch almost made me want to trade it, maybe in my case it was worse becasue of my full boat cover and the difficulty getting to the switch with the cover on, but not a chance I would buy another PTT motor without one. It is a joke if the motor doesn't have one and I found it a dead set pain :)

Squidlet
27-03-2012, 06:21 PM
WOW - thanks gents.

I will certainly follow it up tomorrow.

WHo/where is the Australian Yamaha Supplier (email addy)?

THanks for tip on cowl trim switch!

Where shoudl this switch be located (front or rear of cowl)?

ANy other tips before I place an order?

SPlash

Dont give them your money!!!!! told ya they would bend you over!
Cheers Chris.

Squidlet
27-03-2012, 06:25 PM
THanks Dan,

So, even with the stupid 'NT' tax, you still think I am getting raped by this mob?

I suspect all interstate dealers will choose not to send interstate as they have 'their' own territory...

Brisbane Yamaha told me today they will not ship interstate.

Do you know of any other interstate dealers that will ship interstate?

And, what about service? Would IO Marine still perform the service on an interstate Yami?

Woudl you help me install the outboard in Darwin for $$ or beer?

Splash

They have to honour the warranty they may make you wait,they tried that bullshit on with me,when i looked at quintrex and yammy packages down south!!!! showed them the quote and you just watched them choke and splutta!!
Cheers Chris.

Ps.Get a suzy at least you will get good back up service.

Splash
27-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I cannot understand why in the hell woudl this switch be on the forward steer model and not the tiller model?

What woudl the motivation be?

Seahorse - no interstate dealer will deal with me because I am interstate - so forget that option.

Spaniard King - Sorry the Honda dealer up here scares me more than any other dealer. ANother state, maybe....

SPlash

Charlie
28-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Never considered having full travel covers which make the switch seem like a good idea. Looking at boats.net it appears your looking at about sixty five dollars for the switch plus freight from the US.

chris69
28-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Ha splash the suzuki DF50 has a ptt switch on the cowling and tiller.

Splash
28-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Great input to all and I really thank you.

I will decide to proceed with the yami tiller F50F and look beyond these initial issues of cost and trim switch missing on cowl.

I just cannot ignore that extra 4th cylinder and significant more CC than any other 50HP in this class.

I can absorb the 'NT Tax' and will install an aftermarket trim switch myself.

SPlash