PDA

View Full Version : Tips for 1770

Terry75
22-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi there all,

I am hoping that someone can give me some good reliable info abot crossing the bar at 1770 as I have never been up there before but am heading that way soon for a week ohh and any marks for fishing would be great. Boat I have is a 5.3 Carrabean concord all tips and points greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Terry

Dantren
22-03-2012, 04:45 PM
From my limitied experience at 1770, the danger in not so much the bar crossing, but being lured into fishing wide,then the weather turns quickly. In this scenario, it may be safer to sit it out in the lagoon for 12hrs rather than a 40k dash home in dangerous conditions. I'm sure given particular circmstances, the bar can be dangerous. Myself, if the bar is poor it's too rough offshore, then I'll fish awoonga, Will be there last week of April. Hoping for a weeklong glassout! Dan.

Prowl n Wolf
22-03-2012, 06:01 PM
agree with dantren, in my experience the bar is ok but the long runs to good fishing grounds can get you into some trouble if the weather turns. just make sure your rig is set up for unexpected weather ie. fuel, food, water etc in case you need to ride out anything that turns nasty. regards, tony.

marto78
22-03-2012, 07:19 PM
The bar can stand up a bit in a northerly at the bottom of a run out tide but otherwise I've never had a problem there.

trymyluck
22-03-2012, 08:02 PM
I've never seen that bar on a bad day yet but I would rather tackle it on a bad day then tackle Wide Bay Bar on a bad day...
There will be others here such as Lucky Phil that are much more qualified to advise you but if in doubt don't go, the tavern is not that bad.....

Mark

Tangles
22-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Terry dont do it, just keep driving, but if you do get up there the bug will get you and you will always want to get back there, what the the blokes said is spot on, a long way to the outer reefs,

but if you do need to stay at one of the lagoons you will have to tough it out like at Fitzroy

Muddy Toes
22-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I know one boat that wishes they were toughing it out on Fitzy's with ya's.
As for the bar crossing one thing to keep in mind is to take a pretty accurate track of it during daylight hours and maybe use waypoints to mark the channel because the beacons aren't lit and on one of those nights with very little moon it can get quite hard to see the rocks because it is so narrow.