PDA

View Full Version : motor out of alignment

brian1960
22-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Cleaning motor the other day i noticed that when motor was trimed all the way down it was sitting very close to the l/h side motor support and a large gap on the r/h side . As i have not hit anything and i use a h bracket when towing i thought i would have it looked at.The steering is okay & the trim works with out any problems & I was told it would not be a problem but i could have the steering shimed to fix the problem . Has any one got any idea`s on this problem or have had this happen.

Noelm
22-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I guess the obvious question is, "can you look at another motor the same"? maybe it was alawys like that and you have just noticed it, from what I read, you are saying that the motor is not centred in the transom brackets, correct? if it has moved, you would think there would be a noticable gap at the top, the brackets are bolted to the transom, so cannot move, the only way for the whole motor to shift off centre is for (somehow) a bush or centering "thing" has broken and fallen off, (I think)

brian1960
23-03-2012, 06:14 AM
What i have been told is that when serviced last the steering may of been removed and the shims not back in same place .Motor is still under waranty and rep has looked at it

Noelm
23-03-2012, 07:39 AM
not sure what steering shims are on your motor, but who knows for sure.

Fed
23-03-2012, 08:05 AM
What motor and age?

What is the gap difference from one side to the other?

brian1960
23-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Motor trimmed in l/h about 1 to 2mm & r/h 8 to 10mm optimax

Fed
23-03-2012, 04:55 PM
A new motor under warranty and you haven't hit anything I'd be putting the ball straight back into their court Brian.
Maybe they reversed it into a brick wall, replaced the smashed prop and sent it off to you with a bent swivel pin.
I'd be all over it like a manic CSI to find out why, if you're not that way inclined I'd get someone else to look at it and tell you WHY?

brian1960
23-03-2012, 09:38 PM
yes i have emailed mercury to find out what they have to say as i never spoke to the merc rep .If no luck with them maybe a insurance claim as i do not no what caused it and i will be pushing for some answers . If i knew i caused the problem then i would not have a problem .Thanks for the reply`s